Rick Mayer Experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Reaction score
OK, I have read the many posts, both pro and con, of having a seat made by sending in your OEM pan.

All the custom seat guys seem to be in California. I could not get out there at this time to have one made for the FJR while I wait. So, I looked up and compared all the custom manufacturers. I found that Rick Mayer was the closest to what I was looking for and completed the paperwork (with pictures of me smiling from my OEM seat) to have one made by mail in.

I received it last week and had the chance to test it out this weekend. I put about 500 miles on and I could not be happier with the result. Very comfortable (reminds me of my old wing seat). The workmanship was excellent and Rick communicated with me through the process. He seems very concerned about getting it right for the customer.

Rick currently has some OEM pans for the FJR so I had no down time while waiting for my seat. Great! Based on my experience with Rick Mayer, I would recommend his work to anyone looking for more comfort.

That's a coincidence. I got my seat back from Rick today after an adjustment.

I absolutely concur that his workmanship is phenomenal. His seats are works of art.

This adjustment was the second, but I'm hopeful this will do the trick. I was squirming after 50 miles in the stock seat and it was a big improvement when I got his seat. I felt like I could go 100 miles, but wasn't yet quite right for me. That and I slid forward.

Sent back and adjustment #1 was an improvement....maybe like 150 miles, but by the end of the riding season I put back on my trusty Airhawk to survive the 5,000 miles of the SPANK rally.

E-mailed one more time, took a bunch of pictures and described the hotspots

The seat came back today and it looks just a bit deeper, but pushing on the padding I can feel what seems like a pan or something underneath that gives more structure on the sides.

I'm cautiously optimistic this will now be an 11,000 mile seat.

This adjustment was the second, but I'm hopeful this will do the trick. I was squirming after 50 miles in the stock seat and it was a big improvement when I got his seat. I felt like I could go 100 miles, but wasn't yet quite right for me. That and I slid forward.
Sent back and adjustment #1 was an improvement....maybe like 150 miles, but by the end of the riding season I put back on my trusty Airhawk to survive the 5,000 miles of the SPANK rally.

I'm cautiously optimistic this will now be an 11,000 mile seat.
Iggy, since this is your second adjustment giving you comfort for up to 150 miles before squirming, what do you think they did to allow you stay on that seat for 11 days straight?

Being that 150 miles could be 3-4 hours max., it seems they aren't even close to what's going to work for you?

If that seat is only marginally better, after 11 days you could be facing an irritation of your sciatic nerve which will be very painful.

It's kind of hard to articulate, but I'll try. Call the 50 mile or 150 mile mark the point in which I first squirm. I can move around on the seat and get some blood flowing again. Then the next squirm comes on the original seat 25 miles later and then 15 miles later.....and it's hard to burn up a stock tank let alone a full cell load without going nuts. With the 2nd adjustment I could make it 150 then 120 miles after that and then 100 miles after that. That's 3 squirms in an extended range segment. Not bad.

And stopping for gas and walking around for 5 minutes pretty much is like hitting the reset button....or even more reset with the better seat.

Then throw in the Airhawk and it never even got to major annoying squirm stage. It was more like minorly irritating over long distances. I was aware in SPANK, but it wasn't consuming me.

My point is that I hope is that the additional ass cuppage combined with some sort of harder material farther out on the edges....almost like wings will make this seat be an 9 or 10 on the 1 to 10 scale. It was a 7 before with maybe an 8 with the Airhawk.

Picture of the new and improved adjustment 2. Notice the deeper well comared to original seat.

MW200518b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
[joking]

Ya know, Iggy, I do believe you suffer from FAS. Prolly your biggest cause of butt fatigued. :bleh:

[/joking]

Seriously, your photos show pressure points smack-dab on the seams of that seat. Get yourself a piece of scrim foam and lay it over the seat and go for a ride. See if that doesn't help. I've found that seams are your enemy and I've eliminated them from the seat (Bill Mayer), my riding pants (Olympia) and my thongs (Victoria's Secret). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[joking]Ya know, Iggy, I do believe you suffer from FAS. Prolly your biggest cause of butt fatigued. :bleh:

[/joking]

Seriously, your photos show pressure points smack-dab on the seams of that seat. Get yourself a piece of scrim foam and lay it over the seat and go for a ride. See if that doesn't help. I've found that seams are your enemy and I've eliminated them from the seat (Bill Mayer), my riding pants (Olympia) and my thongs (Victoria's Secret). ;)
I've 2 of the 3 covered with decent riding pants and some Victoria's Secret thongs I stole from this guy's hotel room in Reno. I like to wear them backwards to make my junk look bigger and covers more of my FAS. But, don't anybody think that's weird or anything......I washed them first. :blink:

When I try this seat I'll remember the seam thing.

Did a ride in with Rick Mayer. Hell of a nice guy with great customer service, but the seat, while better than stock, was nowhere near acceptable for me. Only a 400 mile seat. Very disappointing after taking the time to do a ride in. So I sent it back for a re-do, and it came back better, now a 800 mile seat, but still not acceptable. Like Iggy, for the 1000+ mile days I was going back to the Airhawk. So I gave up on Rick.

So based on the 'Nut's and other's advice, I did a ride-in for a Bill Mayer seat. (Thanks for the outstanding steak Timmy!) I thought Bill's process of fitting the butt to the seat was more comprehensive and detailed than Rick's. I still don't know for sure yet, as I haven't done enough long distance rides yet, but based on the couple I have done, I am about 90% sure that the Bill Mayer seat is better than the Rick Mayer, and that it may very well be a 1500+ miles a day seat. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend Bill Mayer Saddles.

Did a ride in with Rick Mayer. Hell of a nice guy with great customer service, but the seat, while better than stock, was nowhere near acceptable for me. Only a 400 mile seat. Very disappointing after taking the time to do a ride in. So I sent it back for a re-do, and it came back better, now a 800 mile seat, but still not acceptable. Like Iggy, for the 1000+ mile days I was going back to the Airhawk. So I gave up on Rick.
So based on the 'Nut's and other's advice, I did a ride-in for a Bill Mayer seat. (Thanks for the outstanding steak Timmy!) I thought Bill's process of fitting the butt to the seat was more comprehensive and detailed than Rick's. I still don't know for sure yet, as I haven't done enough long distance rides yet, but based on the couple I have done, I am about 90% sure that the Bill Mayer seat is better than the Rick Mayer, and that it may very well be a 1500+ miles a day seat. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend Bill Mayer Saddles.
That's good to hear. I have only done 1200 miles on my Bill Mayer. I'm glad it'll last me that extra 300 miles

:)

So what does this translate into time without getting off the seat. 1500 miles could include a few stops for 3 course meals.

So what does this translate into time without getting off the seat. 1500 miles could include a few stops for 3 course meals.
Heh heh.

1500 miles at about midnight for me....probably 11ish for Skoot....so about 6 hours left if you know what I mean? Problem is there's not a lot of meal choices that time of night in Tonopah.....let alone 3 course options. Phuckit....Power Bar and keep riding till dawn!

Heh heh.

1500 miles at about midnight for me....probably 11ish for Skoot....so about 6 hours left if you know what I mean? Problem is there's not a lot of meal choices that time of night in Tonopah.....let alone 3 course options. Phuckit....Power Bar and keep riding till dawn!
Alternating Power bar with Tiger's Milk can be nicer to the palete for the discriminating LD rider :lol: