Ride Around the World

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenfjrrider

Reaction score
I am reading a book about a guy riding a motorcycle around the world. It is named Jupiter's Travels. I would recommend it. Any other similar books anyone has read?

I am reading a book about a guy riding a motorcycle around the world. It is named Jupiter's Travels. I would recommend it. Any other similar books anyone has read?
Thanks for the recommendation! Will add it to my must read list.

Check out the DVD, "Long Way Round". Quite entertaining.
Another thanks...will do a search and either rent or buy it.

Appreciations to both of you for the referrals.

Rex

Check out the DVD, "Long Way Round". Quite entertaining.

I recommend the book. Good read. DVD is very good. probably not a big deal which you see/read first.

Not all DVDs are the same...I think the US version is shortened to 6 episodes or so. I think the one I got is 8 or 10 (i forget...somebody borrowed it).

The book "Jupiter's Travels" bu Ted Simon is one of the few books that I have read multiple times. There is a sequel called "Riding High" which contains additional writings from the same four year trip that didn't make it into the first book.

Jupiter's Travels was apparently the inspiration behind the Ewan McGregor/Charley Boorman series Long Way Round

There is another Ted Simon book, 'Dreaming of Jupiter', in which he re-travels his original route, some 30 years later. I haven't read it yet, but plan to.

You gotta read 'One Man Caravan' by Robert Fulton. Written in the late 1920's, he took the long way home from university in Europe back to NY state. A great read.

Also check out 'Odyssey to Ushuaia by Andres Carlstein,

and 'Adventure Motorcycling Handbook' by Chris Scott.

I read the 'Long Way Round'. Wasn't impressed. Couple o' wankers with too much time and money! (IMO)

'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert Pirsig is a must read!

Many other. Check out Amazon.com for 'motorcycles'. You'll get lots of options.

BTW kenfjrrider, bitchin' avatar!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another Ted Simon book, 'Dreaming of Jupiter', in which he re-travels his original route, some 30 years later. I haven't read it yet, but plan to.
You gotta read 'One Man Caravan' by Robert Fulton. Written in the late 1920's, he took the long way home from university in Europe back to NY state. A great read.

Also check out 'Odyssey to Ushuaia by Andres Carlstein,

and 'Adventure Motorcycling Handbook' by Chris Scott.

I read the 'Long Way Round'. Wasn't impressed. Couple o' wankers with too much time and money! (IMO)

'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert Pirsig is a must read!

Many other. Check out Amazon.com for 'motorcycles'. You'll get lots of options.

BTW kenfjrrider, bitchin' avatar!

thanks for the list! Zen was a tough read, I'll have to give it another go, I wasn't ready for it the first time since I had no idea what it was about.

I'll try to upgrade from the rich wanker's book! :unsure: