Ride Schools?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paste007

Reaction score
Taking delivery of an '06 FJR(A) in March, after having ridden my '77 KZ1000 for the last three decades (almost). Checking into some rider courses to improve my skills, including Keith Code's California Superbike (cornering) school and the Streetmasters (tour/cruiser/sporttourer) school. Feedback from riders who've attended either of those schools would be appreciated.

Both courses have a great reputation. The Streetmasters course is designed more for sport touring and touring bikes, but it depends on what your'e looking for. I know one of the instructors with the Streetmasters program (Walt Fulton). He was a BMW Legends racer, tests for MCN, and has raced against some of the best in the business. These people know what they're talking about, and have the training and experience to back it up. If I didn't live on the other side of the country, I'd be there.

And for what it's worth, Walt wrote me a while back that if he was in the market for a new bike, the FJR would be it.

Grumpy -- I googled Lee Parks for a driving school and didn't come up with anything. I'm in Virginia, and would like to find something like that on the east coast. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Jay

Please see "FJR Vendor Offers" on this forum for info for the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic. I have been involved with the development of this class since 1998 with Lee Parks (wrote the book Total Control). Please call me if you, or anybody else would like to discuss what is taught, how etc...

I"ll be at the Mid-Atlantic Motorcycle Show this weekend. I will have a booth at Bob's BMW display. Hope to see more forum members this season.

Tracy Martin...

I'm surprized there doesn't seem to be alot of the schools offered in TX. Seems that would be a big market. Is it a lack of facilities?

Most of the schools seem to be on the east or west coast.

Glenn

I did do Reg Pridmores school at Barber 2 years ago and hope to do it again someday.

Sure would be nice if they offered a Total Control class in Texas...

When Lee and I open a new school we always use an existing school that provides some type of motorcycle training--typically a school that already teaches MSF classes or puts on track days at a local race track. These schools are privately owned and the Total Control class is just another "product" that they can offer if they feel there is a market.

If you know of any existing schools that might be interested send me an email:

[email protected]

Thanks, Tracy...

Jay, another "school" that would be convenient from Virginia is Stayin' Safe, run by Larry Grodsky, a writer for Rider Magazine. His approach is "advanced motorcycle training on real world roads."

Stayin' Safe Motorcycle Training

I've been to a number of different schools including CLASS, Stayin' Safe & California Superbike and I believe they each have something good to offer.

I'm glad to get the info on Lee Parks. The Frederick, MD location is just up the road from me.

Tracy... Ride Smart is located in Texas, offers classes, and operates track days, etc. at a couple of tracks...

Ride Smart

I did a Keith Codes CSS at Infineon and had waaay too much fun. I used their bike, but it made a noticeable difference in my street riding. I am definitely going to do more of the Code school sessions.

If you want to have some fun beating up and dropping someone else’s bike, I recommend the four day police style training at Northwest Motorcycle School. It’s four 10 hour days, mostly on a motorcycle. Kick in-the-ass fun in a small class (6 students).

Lee Parks Total Control …. On my wish list.

you are going to be very hapy with the fjr . i myself rode a 75 kawasaki z1 and a 77 kz1000 by the way i sold both of them after riding the fjr for 90 days . 1 thing i know you will say is how the **** did i ride that bike for soooo long . the kawasaki is like a old volkswagon and the fjr is a cadillac .