Ride to Cadomin, Alberta

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Cadomin is nestled in to the Canadian Rockies about 30 miles south of Hinton, AB. The actual town probably is only a few mile from Jasper park boundary. The road to take is Highway 40 and it is a good highway with long sweeping turns and steep grades. However, take note that the last 2 or 3 miles is gravel. In the early part of the 20th century there were at least 5000 people living here and the only way in and out was by rail. Although there is still an operating coal mine nearby, only a handfull of people live here.

Here are some pics:

BikeArizona047.jpg

BikeArizona053.jpg

BikeArizona048.jpg

This is the only store in town. They actually make good burger here.

BikeArizona049.jpg

On the way to Cadomin the road passes through the coal mine. This is good area to see these:

BikeArizona046.jpg

BikeArizona052.jpg

BikeArizona042.jpg

These Big Horn Sheep highly sought after by hunters the world over. There must have been 100's here if not 1000's grazing on reclaimed land that has been seeded by the mine. They cannot be hunted on mine property, and they seem to know this.

Gotta go, boss is summoning me.

Wet would be very bad. Along with the coal seams there is this very fine silty gray clay that packs like concrete when it is dry. There is a technical name for it I just can't remember right now. ( bentonite?) When it is wet I'm not sure you would be able to stay upright on a bike.

I also must add that if you ever go there in spring watch out for animals on highway. Yesterday I must have seen at least 50 white tail deer within 30 miles. (No bs) And they all seem to want to run across highway as soon as you approach them.