Ride to Page SWFOG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
Ride to Page, AZ for the SWFOG

09/30/2009

I just returned from a Ride to Page, AZ for a little get together called the South West FJR Owners Gathering (SWFOG). The gathering had planned two rides, one to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and the second to Zion National Park. There was a banquet on Saturday and it was very good. Had a great time meeting these folks from the SW and riding to the Grand Canyon. My riding buddy and I played golf in Page on Saturday rather than the ride to Zion as we were going to go home through Zion on Sunday.

My ride started on Wednesday September 23rd at 6:30 am. I headed out of town on US 26 over Mt. Hood.

.__480_360_P1030530.JPG

Mt. Hood in the morning:

Temps were weird as it was jumping around between 49 and 64 with Government Camp at 64, go figure. Cold in the valleys and warmer at higher elevations. First stop was Redmond for breakfast at McDonalds, and then I continued on US 97 to La Pine where I turn onto SR 31 towards Paisley. South on US 395 to SR 140 towards Denio Junction, NV. I continued on SR 140 NV to US 95 and turned south towards Winnemucca then east to Carlin for the night. 650 total miles. Of course, I found a barn:

.__480_360_P1030539.JPG

A barn along the way (near Paisley, Or)

Day 2, I headed out of Carlin at the break of dawn, half hour before sunrise, 6:30 am. Temperatures dropped to 29 degrees and I turned up the heat, both for my heated liner, grips and the speedometer.

.__480_360_P1030545.JPG

Some where between Carlin and Ely on Hwy 50, The Loneliest Highway.

I was supposed to meet up with Roger Wampler at Ely for breakfast. I arrived in Ely, 170 miles, just before 9:00 and Roger was just finishing up his packing. We stopped at McDonalds on the way out of town. It was around 360 miles to Page and we were headed to some nice scenic highways. US 93 south of Ely, SR 319 NV, SR 56 UT, SR 14 UT and US 89. Hwy 14 out of Cedar City is fantastic, and this time of the year is just beautiful. The road surface is great and we made good time. We arrived in Page around 4 pm MT, which by the way is the same as 4 pm PDT. Sunrise and sunset is about the same as out west, because it is south. Cool. We didn't have to mess with our clocks.

The next morning we got up and went down to the Marriot and met up with 30 some other riders, mostly FJR'ers, and then broke up into smaller groups to ride to the Grand Canyon.

.__480_360_DSCN6693.JPG

.__480_201_DSCN6700_crop.jpg

Part of the Group: I'm taking the picture. Roger on the right with the white shirt.

We stopped at the bridge over the Colorado River at Marble Canyon and looked over the Indian jewelry and the two bridges, then headed on to Jacobs Lake for Pie.

.__480_360_DSCN6711_edited.jpg

Cool, new and old. The old is now a pedestrian bridge.

Somewhere along the way, I headed out in front of the others to make sure I got a clean run at the twisties running through the Kaibab Nat. Forest, and then waited for the others to arrive. I had Pie and sat in the Dining room enjoying the Indian hand woven rugs.

.__480_360_DSCN6724.JPG

Dining room at Jacob Lake restaurant.

The groups broke down even more at Jacob Lake, and when Roger and I finally left there were only a few riders left. In short order we started to pass others and they fell in behind us all the way to the Grand Canyon Lodge. This is on Hwy 67 and it is absolutely just beautiful. One of the most enjoyable roads I have ever ridden. It only lacked big elk, bear and other animals.

After taking lots of pictures of the Grand Canyon at the GC Lodge Roger and I headed out to take in other viewpoints at Cape Royal and Point Imperial.

.__480_360_DSCN6740.JPG

.__480_360_DSCN6758.JPG

.__480_360_DSCN6769(2).JPG

The Grand Canyon Lodge. A really cool structure with neat lighting fixtures etc.

Cape Royal and Imperial point are a must see if you go to the North Rim.

.__360_480_DSCN6779.JPG

.__480_360_DSCN6782.JPG

At Imperial Point

.__480_360_DSCN6805.JPG

.__360_480_DSCN6810.JPG

At Cape Royal:

The ride back to Page was all most overwhelming as the sun was setting near Marble Canyon and the strong horizontal light shining on the red rock cliffs was fantastic. We caught up with another group of FJR riders and passed them, they fell in behind and followed us to Page. Later we found out that a LEO, that Roger and I had passed as we rounded the curve at Antelope Pass had just moment's earlier light up his lights to slow that group down. He missed us as we were in the curve. I could see his face as I passed him and he did have a disappointed look on it seeing Roger and me in a full lean passing a slower motor home as he went by. Yeehaw.

.__480_360_movcopy1.jpg

Motorhome to be passed at the curve through the rocks at Antelope Pass.

Saturday, Roger and I took a break from riding and played golf on the new Page Nat. Golf Course. We didn't shoot our best but it was a nice course and we had fun. Roger was really pumped when he hit off the 15th hole with his 5 iron to a green 217 yards out and 200 feet down and landed about 15 feet from the hole. Although I plugged in front of the green, I managed to chip up and make a par, as did Roger.

.__480_360_DSCN6850.JPG

Roger at the National Golf Course over looking the bridge and dam at Page with the start of Lake Powell.

After golf I made it to the Marriot to visit with FJR folks and Roger went back to the motel to visit with our neighbors there. A couple of Swiss girls. Knockouts actually.

We got up early on Monday because the ride that day was going to long and hot. We got on the road at around 6:30 and road to Elko, NV. Along the way we rode through Zion Nat. Park, then the boring road north of Cedar City, SR 130 then SR 21 to Milford. When we got to Ely, I checked my rear tire and found that one section had worn a lot and it was past the wear bars and down to no tread. In the center of the tire you could see a different color of rubber. Assuming that this was rubber associated with the cords, we reduced the speed were traveling to conserve. After filling the gas tank in Elko, I found that I was getting 54 mpg. I needed a new tire and all the motorcycle shops were closed. I thought of renting a truck and hauling the bike home, but that would cost around $800 so I opted to spend the night in Elko and check in at the Yamaha dealer the next morning. I let Roger know and told him that best he just continues on. The Uhaul guy directed me up the street to a place called Ship's Cycle, an ATV dealer. I got there before they opened at 9am and waited on the doorstep. A lady arrived and she said that they could order me tire and have it delivered the next morning, but that I would have to take it to the 5th Gear Powersports to have it mounted. Being that I couldn't check with 5th Gear to see if they even had a tire that would fit, this seamed like the only option I had. Then Doug arrived and he called a dealer in Twin Falls that just happened to have a tire and could help me out that day.

I went back to the motel and loaded up the gear and set out for Twin Falls, 60 some miles out of my way and to the East, but a way to get back on the road to Vancouver. Traveling at 60-65, everyone is passing me as the freeways speed limit in Nevada is 75 and US 93 is 70, and in Idaho, US 93 is 65. I kind of kept up with traffic in Idaho. The folks at Adventure Motosports got me in right away and had me back on the road in just over an hour with a new Metzler Roadtec Z6 on the rear. The mechanic even test road the bike to make sure their work didn't screw up something. Two thumbs up for Adventure Motorsports on Kimberly Rd.

I made it to Baker City by around 7:30pm Monday in the dark. Roger was up ahead staying at La Grande. I almost caught up with him, but the night riding wasn't high on my list.

Tuesday morning I woke up at 5:30 and quickly made my way to the front office of the Bridge Street Inn and had breakfast. I was on the road around 6:30 just at the break of dawn. I stopped in La Grand but couldn't wake Roger, so I gassed up and continued on to Vancouver.

.__480_390_DSCN6854.JPG

In the Gorge.

.__480_360_DSCN6878.JPG

Lots of tunnels on Hwy 14 in the Gorge.

The head wind was big and the gas mileage went way down. I had to stop in Stevenson to get more gas. It was raining in Stevenson and Vancouver when I got home. The normal Pacific North Wet greeting. All in all, it was a terrific ride.

Ride Pictures can be found here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride to Page, AZ for the SWFOG09/30/2009

I just returned from a Ride to Page, AZ for a little get together called the South West FJR Owners Gathering (SWFOG).

Thanks Ken for the write up......incredible........nice to meet you and good talking with you. See you next time. Pics are fantastic!

cm :clapping: