Rider Missing Lolo Pass to W. Yellowstone.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit12

Reaction score
Saw this on Pashnit and figure more exposure is better.

Donald Masters left Orofino, ID, Monday, August 31, headed for West Yellowstone and then on to Denver. He has not been seen or heard from since. We have reason to believe he may have gone missing Monday (he was due into Denver Wednesday). He was riding a black 2008 Goldwing, Colorado Plate #327-UTH.

If you are riding Lolo Pass, or anywhere between Missoula and W. Yellowstone, please be on the lookout for Donald and his bike. He's 62 years old, weighs about 175 and is about 5'9" tall. His bike would have been loaded with a fair amount of gear as he was on a 2+ week trip. If you have seen him or have information about him or his bike, please call the Clearwater County (ID) Sheriff's Department at (208) 476-4521.

It has confirmed that Donald bought gas at the Superpump in Lolo, Montana, during the afternoon of August 31. No charge card purchases after that. If he went down, it's likely he went down between Lolo and W. Yellowstone, with the most likely route being US-93 - MT 43 to Wisdom - MT 278 to Dillon - MT 41 to Twin Bridges - MT 287 to Ennis - then into W. Yellowstone.

Anyone riding these roads please be on the lookout for evidence of a wreck. Clearwater County was helpful initially, but as soon as it was learned he bought gas in Lolo, MT, they punted it to the Missoula County Sheriff.

The Missoula Sheriff can be reached at 406-258-4810. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Latest update as posted on Pashnit by the missing riders Brother-in-Law:

Update as of 9/11.

There is little new news at this point. The Walla Walla Police Department is trying to access bank information to see if Donald used a debit card to buy gas. We think it was unlikely he did, as his family said he usually used the United Mileage Plus credit card.

Clearwater County Sheriff Detective Rick Miller has confirmed what he told us before, that there was a gas buy in Orofino, ID on 8/30, a buy in Lolo, MT on 8/31. There was also a charge at Fay Myers Motorsports near Denver, but I have confirmed with them that this was an automated charge, likely for a part that was ordered or a payment on a service contract.

A couple people have called Clearwater County Sheriff and gotten either no information or one person was told that there was a charge on the credit card on 9/8. This is incorrect. We have information the card was canceled by Chase on 9/5.

The lead contact(s) on this now are Missoula County Sheriff, at 406-258-4810, or the Ravelli County Sheriff, at 406-363-3033. The Missoula Detective working the case is Rick Neulon. I spoke with him about an hour ago. He gets off work today at 5:00 pm and will not be working the rest of the weekend. Any calls should go to the Main number for the Sheriff. The Ravelli County Detective who has been briefed is Det. Jay Hudson. He is a rider and knows these roads well.

My cell number is 509-240-0178, however I do not expect to have good service in Montana. I bought a prepaid Verizon phone but have not activated it yet. At this point, email or this forum is probably the best way to get in touch, although I am not sure what my internet access will be. Email is: [email protected]

Thanks to Joe North from the ST Owner's forum, who has cross posted word of this, and to the others who have contacted me, and to anyone else who is helping spread the word. Thanks all for your concern. We are not optimistic of a good outcome at this point, but want to know what happened.

David Grossman, a/k/a Smithee, a/k/a Alan Smithee

Last edited by a moderator:
hope this turns out ok and he was just tired of being available,like remember when you had to pull over to make a phone call......

Latest update:

CCs & Bank info - has been checked out thoroughly - last usage was in Lolo, MT on 8/31 for gas. Last sighting, via traffic cam, was in Darby, MT at ~4:30 MST on 8/31

cell phone ping - yes, it's been tried, no luck

cell phone records - yes, they've been checked but there is very limited and often no service in the area. Last known call out was ~4:30 MST - possibly coincides with the Darby traffic cam sighting.

GPS ping - GPS are receivers, not transmitters, no luck

Air search - Montana Pilots Association and local charter companies have been notified to be on the look out but, so far, no volunteers to search

Civil Air Patrol - yes, they know but can't do anything until an official Law Enforcement request

Search and Rescue - yes, they know but also can't do anything until an official Law Enforcement request

Why no LE request of SAR & CAP - unknown at this time

Medical conditions or depression - none known by family

Hunters and hikers - information is being forwarded to folks in the area

Campgrounds and hotels - all in area have been contacted, no luck

Bike condition - 2008 Goldwing, no known mechanical issues but known to be fully loaded (and a riding buddy reported it as over-loaded). Yellow and black dry bags on the passenger seat. Camping gear, etc.

Last update as posted on 15 Sep on the Pashnit website forums:

Update from Missoula.

We headed north yesterday after the helicopter returned with no results.

Stopped at the Conoco station where Donald gassed up on the 31st and learned the video of his being there had not been preserved. We were obviously distressed at this, but there is nothing to be done.

I was interviewed at the station by a reporter from KECI, the local NBC affiliate. We were told the report was to run on the 10 pm news last night. We did not have TV where we were staying so could not confirm it ran. There is a link on the KECI web site to the story, however:

https://www.keci.com/Missing-Man/5216047

We are trying to involve print media in Missoula today. After that we plan to head home to Washington State to regroup and consult with family and figure out next steps.

Donald's family and friends are very appreciative of the effort the motorcycle community has put out on this and, in particular, the efforts of folks on this forum. People here have been phenomenal in giving their time to this effort. Thank you.

David Grossman

as someone who rides 99% of the time alone, this sure is yet another wake up call from this riding season

I have 2 teens and the thought of them trying to find me (with the non-existant resources kids have) if something were to happen? yikes!

A spot tracker is on my list of necessities for next season

My thoughts`are with the family. Can't even begin to imagine :(

Sincerely hope they find Donald soon, it's very distressing to read about a rider gone down or missing cause one is so helpless confronted with situations like that.

Hopefully a larger search effort is going to be arranged by local and state authorities.

Alfred

as someone who rides 99% of the time alone, this sure is yet another wake up call from this riding season
I have 2 teens and the thought of them trying to find me (with the non-existant resources kids have) if something were to happen? yikes!

A spot tracker is on my list of necessities for next season

My thoughts`are with the family. Can't even begin to imagine :(
My wife sleeps better when I'm not home now. :unsure: errr, I think she means because with SPOT she can log in anytime and see I am ok and know I'm moving. Before SPOT, I made her nervous when I'd stop where there was no cell signal and she wouldn't get that end-of-day phone call to say all is well. Money well spent....

Prayers sent to the rider and his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering that I do a lot of hiking, 4x4 trails, and camping that I may get me a SPOT locator. I can't tell you how many times I've told friends and family I was going exploring in the mountains then would have dozens of voice mails on my phone when I returned home of people asking if I made it back safely.