Riding a BMW R1150R to the TT this summer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faster675

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I will be renting a BMW R1150R with full bags for my wife and I to ride from Dublin to the TT and back this summer.

Could you please give any insights, opinions, or observations to compare an contrast how (vastly) different it will be from riding my '05 FJR with "full" GP suspension ?

I owned a 04 1150RT from 04 til 6/11. Had a 99 1100RT from 99 til I bought the 04. (170,00 miles between the two) Have a 2011 FJR now and a FZ1. For two up you will like the RT better than the FJR. More upright seating and more room. Way less power but okay. Brakes are touchy and take some getting use to. ("read" power and linked) Set the preload to full firm and stay on the gas mid corner or you will drag parts. Just slow down and enjoy the ride. I went for Ohlins ft and rear on both bikes, much better. ® Bmw's are very Quirky. I could write volumes and still not cover it all. Bottom line you will have a good time ! Enjoy the ride.

Bob