Riding buddy traded in his '04 FJR for an '01 Hayabusa!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3386

Reaction score
Riding buddy Steve (whom some of you SoCal folks have met) just traded in (even trade) his '04 FJR (ABS, PCIII, Smuggler, Devil pipes, 13k miles) into the same dealership where he (a year ago) traded his '03 BMW LT tourer for the FJR. So what's Mr. Whim riding this week? The world's fastest production motorcycle (at least it was when it was released): a 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSXR1300, 13k miles). (Steve hasn't told his wife yet. Yikes!)

I've been around the m/c block on dirt bikes and crotch rockets since I was a fetus, but Steve's first bike was a full dresser Harley about 6 years ago, followed by the LT, the FJR and now the 'Busa. At age 53 he's no spring pullet. (At 49 neither am I.)

My suggestion to Steve next time we ride together: keep your "Falcon" a good distance away from my rear wheel if I'm leading (curve or straightaway). I don't want to be nudged by a front wheel that hops up with the twist of a Ricky Racer wrist.

p.s. Just to piss Steve off I'm seriously looking to replace my '98 Gold Wing with a new (or barely used) one. Then I'll suggest a 1000-mile ride. Want some Advil for that sore neck?

My suggestion to Steve next time we ride together: keep your "Falcon" a good distance away from my rear wheel if I'm leading (curve or straightaway). I don't want to be nudged by a front wheel that hops up with the twist of a Ricky Racer wrist.
Sometimes, it really is better to follow than lead. ;)

Sometimes, it really is better to follow than lead. ;)
At least for awhile. Then, at the +500 mile mark casually mention that gee, the ride is 1/2 over... then settle on in and leave Advil boy in the dust.. :rolleyes:

You only live once. :drinks:

If he doesn't have a right wrist problem or a death wish, it may be fun for him for a while and then he will trade again.

Some people are just addicted to bikes and want them all. I would have a different one for each day of the month if I was a billionaire. B)

+2

And some have actually toured up busa's.

They aren't the worst bikes in the world, there are others that are tweaker to ride if that's the right word.

I've seen a few with luggage and if they fit you, well they fit you.

But I agree, he's probably just scratchin an itch.

** UPDATE! ** So I'm here in Boston today (flew out from L.A. for a quick business trip...be home for a ride on Sunday), and the phone rings. It's Steve, telling me that he drove his '04 FJR-A to the dealer to trade it in for the '01 Hayabusa. (The dealer had taken this past week to order and install HeliBars and a 'DoubleBubble' windshield on the 'Busa, per Steve's request.) Anyway, the dealership mechanic is looking over the FJR, to make sure it's okay, and the mechanic comments: "Gee, this is one nice bike. Why the heck are you trading it for a Hayabusa?"

Steve thought about it for a few minutes, and apparently agreed. He told the salesman the deal is OFF, and he rode home, 'Busa-less, happy to still have his Feejer! (I'm kinda happy to have my riding buddy on his ol' FJR too.)

** UPDATE! ** So I'm here in Boston today (flew out from L.A. for a quick business trip...be home for a ride on Sunday), and the phone rings. It's Steve, telling me that he drove his '04 FJR-A to the dealer to trade it in for the '01 Hayabusa. (The dealer had taken this past week to order and install HeliBars and a 'DoubleBubble' windshield on the 'Busa, per Steve's request.) Anyway, the dealership mechanic is looking over the FJR, to make sure it's okay, and the mechanic comments: "Gee, this is one nice bike. Why the heck are you trading it for a Hayabusa?"
Steve thought about it for a few minutes, and apparently agreed. He told the salesman the deal is OFF, and he rode home, 'Busa-less, happy to still have his Feejer! (I'm kinda happy to have my riding buddy on his ol' FJR too.)
Lee I sent you a PM about Sunday

Overall the Busa and FJR have a lot of common ground. Both can be good sport-tour bikes, if the Busa is setup correctly. Both are pretty comfy for a sport bike (the FJR is more comfy). Both have great torque (99ft/lbs), and Busa weighs less. The Busa has very predictable throttle control. It mostly depends on mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ;)

Damn. I think I'll have to get another Busa as a stablemate to the FJR. I miss the bugger.