Riding the BlueRidgePkwy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnie

Reaction score
Anyone know the northern side (North NC and Virginia) of the BRP well (and Skyline Drive through the Shenandoah?)

My wife and I just rode about 200 miles (one way) on it (from Cherokee to Boone after doing the Dragon dance) and I found it extremely tiring. But I've alwyas wanted to ride it all the way from Asheville to DC .

Saw a lot of bikes when we were up there. A lot of people from many different states. Don't know if anyone has ridden it for any long distance, but would appreciate any comments.

A few takes on my ride:

I know there's a post somewhere here about the aki-dents at Deals Gap, (relatively quiet the day I was there-Thursday morn(?)) but I can tell you I've seen plenty of same on the nicest parts of the BRP. I've come close a couple of times. Seems like you just cannot relax very much or take your eyes off of the road for one second. In fact, I used to scoff at the 45 mph speed, but I can see where a lot of places, you're better off. I'm wondering if it gets any easier in the northern parts.

There are several places in the Southern NC part where altitude and the weather can fling some real chills at you: highest point on the BRP -downright cold even in June. Can get off at the Pisgah Inn and get a cup of coffee. The wife and I did lunch. Great view, good food. About 8 tunnels later you're near the Asheville arboretum. They used to let you ride through there, but not anymore.

A little further is the Art/Visitor Center- has restrooms. No food.

Further North, Craggy Gardens always seems to be shrouded in cold fog. They have a place to stop at the top with a restroom. Good place to enjoy the view (if there is one) and put on another layer before going through.

After Craggy, it eases up a bit -not as many curves or extreme changes of elevation, many places where you can hit 60-65 mph without problem. You can ALMOST relax and enjoy the beautiful view -Crabtree Meadows (CM rest area used to have a gas station, but not anymore., you have to get off of the P to get gas) then Linville Falls. (BTW: it's worth getting off and doing the hike to the falls if you have the time: at least an hour.)

Moses Cone Memorial Park has some real nice hikes, but most take a couple of hours.

Boone is a ways away from the Parkway, but its a college town, so it has LOTS of different restaurants at reasonable prices. (Next year, I'll head towards Blowing Rock instead -haven't been there in ten years, or so.)

I took SR19 back to Asheville since it's faster and not as much of a roller coaster ride. Over 400 miles round trip. We both went to bed at 8 pm. Slept like a log.

END my report.

Anyone with info about the BRP further north, I'd love to to hear it.

Thanks!!! :)

Vinnie

Well, if you haven't done it -- I encourage you to do so. Especially if you've got a willing accomplice. The BRP becomes the Skyline Drive as you approach the end at Front Royal. They charge for riding on the S-D and, because it's in a National Park?, there always seem to be more deer and other critters. But, still, it's all beautiful and fun to do and don't forget to take-in a few interpretive sites -- w/costumed guides, etc. And, getting off the Parkway can have its plusses, too. It's just a national treasure, imo.

I've been on the BRP end to end roundtrip each year for the last 6 years or so.

I just about always skip Skyline Drive. The 35mph limit on Skyline is just a bit much. Also on my southbound trip I often start in the Front Royal area which means getting on Skyline at about 7:00 when the forest rats are still out and about (more than usual that is). There have been some very close calls I tells you. One time we even had a black bear scurry across the road ahead of us. If you do ride it, there is a fee of $5 per motorcycle (and possibly more for the passenger, but I'm not sure since I'm solo). If you get there before the booth attendant shows up for work, you have to pay by credit card in an automat. But there's no Motorcycle category on the machine. Not knowing better, I assumed I had to pay the car fee of $10.

As for the BRP, yes, the southern end from Cherokee on up is rather twisty. Then it gets much more mellow for a while... kind of a rolling countryside sort of thing. Then the Northern end gets pretty twisty again with lots of nice views. Actually one of my favorite stretches is the 120 miles or so between Roanoake and Waynesboro.

I agree that you need to stay on your game, but to me the the BRP just aint as twisty as it used to be. Ride it a bit more often and it will start to seem a bit tame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vinnie - I've found the SLD a nice ride as long as you surrender yourself to riding relatively slowly and taking in the sights. If you're looking for a "gettoff" for a bit, take Rt 211 west. I forget which entrance/exit name, but it's a worthwhile diversion and you can ride for as long as you want and then turn around and ride it back to the SLD.