Rifle Prototype Windshield - Rev 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Disclaimer - I do not work for Rifle, have stock, personally know the owners or employees before now yada yada yada. I was called by my local dealer to see if I would provide my 06 bike as test platform so Rifle could develop a shield. In return, I get a free shield. So far, it would have been less time consuming to simply pay the money :D .. but truthfully I've fully enjoyed this experience.

Summary - This is rev 2 of the prototype. I first posted a 'what do you want in your windshield thread?' here. Clicky. Prototype #1 summary is here Clicky2.

Changes to rev2 include a compound curve at the bottom to allow the screen to fit the oem 'W" cosmetic face plate. The top half retains the same shape and curve which is good since it worked excellently on rev 1. The tuning blocks are slightly larger to tilt the screen back just a tad more. This allows an even quieter cockpit with the screen up and more sportier position when down.

Took it on a 350+ mile yesterday. Temps ranging from 43 to 104, roads from 4 lane hi-ways and 90+ mph to 1st/2nd gear twisties. Even had a cross wind thrown in for good measure. Rev 2 works better than rev 1 in all conditions - it's quieter in the cockpit both noise and wind wise. When fully down, I can now see closer to the front tire without looking through the shield. When full up, I'm looking just over the top. I've asked Rifle to make the shield .5" higher on rev 3. My goal is that when full up, in the normal riding position, I'm looking 1/2 through, 1/2 over the shield.

Please realize this is still a prototype. The edges are not as clean as production units as this fairing has been hand cut. Same with the tuning blocks. It's still a work in progress! :D

5'11", 32" inseam, stock seat.

Ok, enough diatribe. Pix time. Hope I do this right.

All the way Down Use the black garden hose as visual reference. Normal sitting position.

Cockpit-down.jpg

Full Up

Cockpit-FullUp.jpg

Tuning Blocks. NOTE - these proto blocks are in grey, currently constructed out of wood with aluminum backing plates. The aluminum bracket in the center mounts the cosmetic 'W'. The prod units will all be one piece and powder coated.

TuningBlock.jpg

Right Front - down

RightFront-Down.jpg

Left Front - down

LeftFront-Down.jpg

Left Front - up

LeftFront-Up.jpg

Right Front - up

RightFront-Up.jpg

Overall View

OverallView.jpg

Scoots and racks. Is it any wonder the US leads the world in, ah, scoots and racks? Huh? w00t!!

What is it with you guys!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?! Can't a guy post some freakin' pictures of a windshield without getting "man boobage" comments?!??!?!?!

(translation: crap they beat me to it....)

Is that 180 MPH in place of 130 MPH? Or do I need to get my eyeglasses fixed?

Nice shield. I had a blue Rifle fairing on my 2005 FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good. So if I followed the threads correctly, this one is 3" taller than stock and you're looking to get rev3 at 3.5"?

Looks pretty good. So if I followed the threads correctly, this one is 3" taller than stock and you're looking to get rev3 at 3.5"?
I believe that's correct. Rifle will offer different sizes, and custom sizing is available too. Since I get to test, I have the opportunity of having them cut the perfect size for me.. in this case another .5 inches will set the shield perfectly.

Before all is said and done, I'll have my Bill Mayer seat installed then have the shield size finalized.