Rifle Shield for '06 Available

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB

Reaction score
I just got an email from Rifle announcing their replacement windshield for the '06. You must install their "angle optimizers" to use their shield.

https://www.rifle.com/stores/showdetl.cfm?&...em_('06_-_)

Cool. I have always been happy with the Rifle and tuning block on my 04.

And now, moving this thread to it's proper home..........

How does the tuning block work? Is this something you adjust to suit yourself or is it a stationary piece of hardware?

How does the tuning block work? Is this something you adjust to suit yourself or is it a stationary piece of hardware?
It's a stationary piece that's designed to 'tilt' the shield back to better compliment the shields curve for maximum air flow up and around the rider space. I assisted Rifle with testing various shields / blocks. You will be very happy with yours. I now have 8,000 miles on mine and am still amazed at how well it works. Of course, YMMV and I have no financial interest in the company, yada yada yada.

Luke,

I suggest you try turning your handlebars full lock left & check if the brake lever even touches your +3" wider Rifle. Especially if you have hand guards or handlebar angle adjusting risers installed, too.

Even touching the brake lever while in a slow left turn is something you don't want to experience.

... Don't ask.

dobias :glare:

dcarver,

Would you mind sharing a little more info about the Rifle shields you tested and/or the one you currently have? In particular, does it eliminate buffeting for you? If so, what size shield do you have?

Perhaps you’ve already posted something about the shield that my search didn’t detect.

thanks, :)

shokdimn

I just talked to Sally at Rifle and she told me that their shields actually lean back towards you more then the stocker. Therefore the +1" T shield will actually be a little shorter then the stock shield when it is all the way up. So if you want your shield a little higher then the stock one, you'll have to order the +3" T shield or have them make a special. She told me that delivery on a special shield was only a couple days, which is pretty good.

When I saw that Rifle had adjusted the angle of the screen, that is what sold me. I think the raised position of the stock screen is too upright and that accentuates buffeting. Now I'll wait and see.

As far as the clearance on the sides, I'm confident it will be fine as the one I ordered is a size that Rifle stocks. But you can bet I'll check it.

dcarver,
Would you mind sharing a little more info about the Rifle shields you tested and/or the one you currently have? In particular, does it eliminate buffeting for you? If so, what size shield do you have?

Perhaps you've already posted something about the shield that my search didn't detect.

thanks, :)

shokdimn
Here are some earlier posts. One has piccies.
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...92&hl=rifle

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...86&hl=rifle

The 'what size shield do I have' is an interesting question. Gary cut one specifically to my request, so I'm not sure what the sizing is per the 'standard'. I wanted, at the low position, maximum cooling to the jacket and helmet since I live in hot weather. In the full up position, I wanted to be looking 1/2 over and 1/2 through the screen, making it easy to duck out of the rain by simply tucking my helmet a *bit*, then being able to clear the face shield by exposing it wind by simply popping up a bit. Then of course I had a custom Bill Mayer saddle built and we raised the seat 1.5 inches so there goes that theory.. :D . I may buy another, taller shield just for winter work.

I don't have any problems with the shield affecting the controls e.g. brake or clutch. The sheild, when fully down, is slightly turbulent - but the air flow is incredible into the mesh jacket. By comparison, by guesstimation, it's about 60% quieter than stock. Once raised to a 'working' level, about 1" from the bottom, it goes quiet, turbulence free all the way to the fully extended position.

I hope this helps!

EDIT - they also have a smoke screen that I think looks much better than clear.. This pix does not do it justice..
2006vac063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
dcarver,

Thanks for responding and for the links. On my first search I went back 30 days, then on my second search I went back 60 days. Missed your last post (Rev 2) about the shield by about a week. My fault, I should have gone back further.

You wrote,

"Once raised to a 'working' level, about 1" from the bottom, it goes quiet, turbulence free all the way to the fully extended position.

I hope this helps! "

Definitely helps, that's just the kind of thing I wanted to know about.

Thanks again, :)

shokdimn

EDIT - they also have a smoke screen that I think looks much better than clear.. This pix does not do it justice..

The smoke does look nice, but I bet it is harder to see of out of at night.

The smoke does look nice, but I bet it is harder to see of out of at night.
True. But I find myself always looking over the shield not through it, so it's not that much of an issue. At warp speeds one must always look way down the road! :D . Seriously, the only time I noticed the darkness was once, when I needed to see where the broken beer bottle was while at 2 mph in a parking lot at night.

I relly did like the look of the smoke tinted screen. But I decided on the clear version because I do alot of riding at night.

I noticed that there is no vent with the Rifle.

I have the tall CalSci windscreen and it made all the difference to me. Before ... with the stocker windscreen ... the buffeting was beyond what was acceptable for me. After installing the CalSci, it was as if the bike was 'transformed'. Believe me ... installing this windscreen kept me from selling the bike.

Plus, the vent works great in warmer temperatures. I think I paid like $185 or so.

Go to the site and see what they have.

BAGGER

:yahoo: The Rifle shield arrived today and I LOVE it!!!!!!! :yahoo:

It is a +3 tall and +4 wide over stock and only took a few minutes to install. The angle of the tilt is changed or rather "optimized" by a spacer. This spacer also has the effect of allowing more airflow under the shield. Probably much like the Cal-Sci except there are no holes. It is also curved a little more than stock. Because of the increased angle, the +3 tall is really more like a +2. Yet the airflow up over the shield is better/higher in the raised position because the angle is correct (as opposed to the stock angle that is too upright in the raised position. The optical quality is much clearer and the lense is thicker. All edges are buffed/polished. Very good fit, all holes are perfect. The only drawback I see is that since the shield is held out away from the bike another inch, you can face the front and shift your view to see the bracketry behind it. Not bad but it just isn't completely hidden.

Took it out for a spin and I immediately noticed a huge difference. I could actually hear the noises the bike makes itself. Also could hear much more traffic noise around me. Full down has a slight buffetting and full air to the helmet. Slightly raise the shield and all buffeting disappears. I get onto the freeway and blast up to 80mph and raise the shield all up. It is amazingly still air around me and no negative pressure on my back. I can hear the bike and other vehicles as I pass them. Earplugs do not seem needed at all anymore. Even at 100mph+ I am in still air. It doesn't seem I'm going this fast. Wow! What a touring shield!!!

I highly recommend this Rifle shield. It is by far the best farkle of all the additions I've made to "Gypsy". :D

P.S. If someone will post the pics then PM me with your email address.

:D I just put my Rifle +1 screen on my 06 the other day and it's probably the best screen that I ever

had on a motorcycle. I had a CalSci medium on the bike before and it was great untill the weather got

colder and I was getting too much wind through the vent.

The Rifle screen transformed the FJR into a new motorcycle.

I had a Rifle shield on my 2005 FJR. I was happy with it. I just ordered another for 2006-AE. It gets cold on the east coast in the fall and winter. I prefer my shield not to be vented.