Rifle Sport Shield & Tuning Block

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shep

Reaction score
I just received my Rifle Sport shield and thought I would post a few initial impressions for those of you considering a shield change.

As you read this keep in mind my particular perspective. I am short at 5'5",and am coming to the FJR from a bike with a very small shield (GS) that also suffered from a wind management issue. Also keep in mind that I am not interested in turning the FJR into a Gold Wing...I do not want a huge screen...I like the air flow. I simply want reasonably smooth air that I can manage somewhat for a changing climate, cold, wet, hot, etc.

Stock Screen:

I like the stock screen in the low position only. Anything above that and the air flow and the back pressure are just wrong for me.

Stcok Screen with "tuning" spacers:

Much better than stock. I can use the screen all the way down to about an inch or so of rise. Still way to much back pressure after that.

Rifle Sport:

I got the sport because I felt the Touring screen would be too big. I am glad I did because this one is much bigger than stock.

Once mounted, with tuning block, I noticed that the levers almost touch the screen at full lock. If your fingers were on the levers, they would get smashed. However, in real riding it would be very rare to have your bike at full lock, and this is only an issue with the screen all the way down.

I rode about 15 miles just to get a feel for it. During the first mile I thought I might have wasted my money, but as the miles rolled on, I changed my mind. I can now ride with the screen in any position and be comfortable. There is still some back pressure, but it is greatly reduced.

All the way down: still very good for warm weather, much like the stock feel, possibly smoother and a little higher.

All the way up: Fairly quiet. I can still see over the top if I sit upright. Good protection I would imagine in the cooler weather that will be approaching soon. That is the only time I will ride in this position.

Everything in between: All positions in between were good...smoother.

All in all, I am happy with the choice and would certainly do it again. It has been my opinion since I got the bike that the size of the shield was not as much of an issue as the angle or placement of it. The Tuning block or spacers seem to have a positive effect on this issue. I hope this information will help someone in their quest.

Shep

Thanks for posting this... I had noticed the exact same things about the stock screen and was considering if replacing it would resolve the issues.

***Stock Screen with "tuning" spacers:***

What was the thickness of the spacers you used ? Played with spacers and ended up with 14 mm. No back pressure for me or my pillion

Howard

I used a 5/16 spacer. Maybe I should have tried a slightly larger one. I took a 150 mile ride Sunday and am still happy with the screen. I only have one concern right now. I got a very bad headache while I was riding. It may not be related to the screen, but it went away as soon as I got home. The only reason I thought it could be related is that the same thing happened on my GS, and it was caused by the screen. I like the slightly larger coverage by the Rifle...or at least I believe I will when the weather changes.

If a person is happy with the screen size and coverage of the stock shield, I think they would be just as well to add spacers to it.

Shep