Risers and Other Suggested Farkles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prontoops

Reaction score
I just got a new-to-me Gen 2 and thinking about risers, but not sure what to get. At 6' I think they need to go back farther than the adjustment allows.

Any other must-have items for a stock bike?

Thanks in advance.

I'm also a guy with short arms, and 2 yrs. ago, when I bought the bike, I had the Heli risers installed. Yesterday, I moved the bars all the way to the rearmost position, and what a difference. The Heli is expensive, but very nice, and very adjustable.

The VERY first thing that you should spend your money on, though, is a set of frame sliders. Read through the postings, and you'll find almost 100% agreement that these are DEFINITELY a must have. Wait on these at your own expense! :)

Welcome aboard; you're going to love your new bike!

Ride it awhile before you do ANY ergo modifications.
This will help you find "ALMOST" anything you need

Enjoy!
I put 600 miles on it last weekend...and I need something. Rhomboids are killing me.

Hey, I like that search thingy....seems like it hits just this forum. Helibars seem to come up...I had a set of handlebars on my Busa. Didn't know they made risers....I'll have to check those out even though I was hoping something cheap. Thx Scotty and beacher!

If you search google with this format....

XXXXXXXX site:fjrforum.com (the xx's equals your search words) It searches only this site, and does it better than the built in search engine.

I went from not needing risers to replacing my seat to a Russell. The seat replacement changed the bike ergo's completely. I ended up with 1 inch risers. Not up and back, just risers.

The moral of the story, If your going to change your seat, you might want to wait on replacing risers.

+ 1 on sliders. If you don't have them on, DO THAT FIRST. I have OES sliders, and they earned their keep 2 months after install. There are others out there that cost more, and less. Cost verse quality I'm happy with THESE

Last edited by a moderator:
The moral of the story, If your going to change your seat, you might want to wait on replacing risers.
+ 1 on sliders. If you don't have them on, DO THAT FIRST. <snip>

+1 on sliders; it was the first thing I did and shortly afterward I was backing it out of the shop where I work after a night shift, lost my balance and "gently" dropped it on the right side (2 coworkers came rushing out to help pick it up), scratched the slider on that side and the mirror, but no other damage.

I've replaced both the seat (twice - Rich's and now Russell, both bought used here) and the risers _ block (ALSO bought here via a group buy.

I love farkles...

Hey guys. I need some thoughts from you guys on this issue as well. I bought an 08' a few days ago and it is the only sport bike I have ever ridden. I know I am short at 5' 8" and I guess my arms are short to go along with my height. I am used to riding dual sport bikes so I prefer to be in a more upright position. I rode about 700 miles the past two days and my shoulders are quite sore. The seat is in the low position and I was told the bars are set all the way back. Is this something I should get used to riding a sport bike? I know risers will help, but I am worried about what I might be losing with such a change. The seat seems okay to me for the time being. My butt starts hurting after about two hours but I can stand or stretch my legs out while riding and keep on getting it without much problem. I may eventually change the seat, but I don't think it is in the near future. If I do, it will be more for my fiance than me. If she can't ride for a couple of hours or more than I will have to make a seat change. I took her for a ride for the first time last night. Not far, just around town going out to dinner, the long way. She is used to being pretty much pressed up against me on my DR650. She said I seemed too far away. I am sitting all the way up against the tank and I think there is at least a few inches between us. She is having to lean forward and reach out to me and I think think it is giving her a less secure feeling as well as being uncomfortable for her. She said it is no more comfortable than riding on the DR with a Sargent seat. My excuse for buying this bike was to give her a more comfortable ride...

Summary of my questions for the experts:

#1: What will happen to the handling characteristics of the bike with the various types of risers (up, up+back)?

#2: Can I simply add a backrest for her and have her sit back and enjoy the ride as a "piece" of the bike without her having to hold on to me except when braking?

Hey guys. I need some thoughts from you guys on this issue as well. I bought an 08' a few days ago and it is the only sport bike I have ever ridden. I know I am short at 5' 8" and I guess my arms are short to go along with my height. I am used to riding dual sport bikes so I prefer to be in a more upright position. I rode about 700 miles the past two days and my shoulders are quite sore. The seat is in the low position and I was told the bars are set all the way back. Is this something I should get used to riding a sport bike? I know risers will help, but I am worried about what I might be losing with such a change. The seat seems okay to me for the time being. My butt starts hurting after about two hours but I can stand or stretch my legs out while riding and keep on getting it without much problem. I may eventually change the seat, but I don't think it is in the near future. If I do, it will be more for my fiance than me. If she can't ride for a couple of hours or more than I will have to make a seat change. I took her for a ride for the first time last night. Not far, just around town going out to dinner, the long way. She is used to being pretty much pressed up against me on my DR650. She said I seemed too far away. I am sitting all the way up against the tank and I think there is at least a few inches between us. She is having to lean forward and reach out to me and I think think it is giving her a less secure feeling as well as being uncomfortable for her. She said it is no more comfortable than riding on the DR with a Sargent seat. My excuse for buying this bike was to give her a more comfortable ride...

Summary of my questions for the experts:

#1: What will happen to the handling characteristics of the bike with the various types of risers (up, up+back)?

#2: Can I simply add a backrest for her and have her sit back and enjoy the ride as a "piece" of the bike without her having to hold on to me except when braking?
WARNING: FARKLING IS HAZAROUS TO YOUR WALLET

The shoulder pain... I would ignore this for a few months at least. You are going to have some additional tension with the new bike postion and simply you are mostlikely riding a bit tense due to the new ride being so different. I came from a V-Strom and my neck and shoulders were stiff for the first 3 or 4 tanks. Without knowing (I assume) I grew more comfortable and/or adjusted to the new position.

The Seat... I can HIGHLY recommend the Russell as a great investment. You might try to get in on the group buy (20% off) going on now if there is any spots open. If you pull the trigger, you will be sending Russell picture of your riding position, 1 up and 2 up. You will wnat to explain just as you have above what you are looking for in riding position.

Risers.. If you are planning on changing out the seat, do not mess with the bars until after the seat is addressed. I did not want risers until I switched to the Russell. The Russell is a bit taller than the stock seat.

Backrest... Premier Cycle makes a topcase rack that will accomodate a backrest and/or Givi topbox. Or if you plan to add a topbox, you can add a backrest pad directly to the box as I'm sure your aware. My wife and daughter missed the additional security the topbox (backrest) the few months the FJR was without.

GET OUT YOUR CREDIT CARD HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Scotty. I have been reading about the Master Yoda position today and I think it will help. I had already started bending at the hips and arching my back to get get closer to the bars and keep my head up in a more comfortable position. I think trying to use my feet, legs and core muscles more will help. I read where Dick Frantz added risers to FJR and it was more comfortable. I think he had a GenI bike and I think I read that the Gen II's have different ergonomis. Someone said their 07' without risers was basically the same position as he had with a Gen I with risers. I will just keep riding it for now and see what happens. I really worked some twisties the past couple of days and my shoulders are very sore from counter steering. I think I need to lean into the turns more and get stronger physically. I must be out of shape and the 1300 has a way of pointing that out.

P.S. Farkling is good for the economy!