Risers Can I Do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambo

Reaction score
I ordered new risers for my new FJR 09....the manual states I should have the dealer adjust the handlebars, can I do this? How hard is it and is there something I should be careful of?

You can do it if you can wrench a little. Cut the cable brackets with large wire cutters and bend out of the way. Instructions with risers are adequate.

You can do it if you can wrench a little. Cut the cable brackets with large wire cutters and bend out of the way. Instructions with risers are adequate.
:dribble: You cut your cable brackets, the metal ones? Or did you mean cable ties?
On a Gen1 you don't need to cut anything, plenty of slack in the cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
When he refers you to cut the cable brackets, the directions I got from Tour Performance

state to "cut the wire looms", meaning the square bracket retaining cables, shaped like a

rectangle and made of heavy guage wire, cut'em and toss'em, its a fairly straight forward

process. however, that said, I had the Dealer do the work as part of purchase package

of the motorcycle, I could not lean forward very long on the stock bars during the test ride.

FWFE

This is what Genmar https://www.zianet.com/GenMar/ has to sayabout it:

"3. Before removing the mounting hardware, it is necessary to cut the factory metal wire looms to remove the cables and hydraulic lines from the looms. We have found it to be much easier to cut the looms than to disconnect the cables and hydraulic lines as you will not re-use the wire loom assembly. Please refer to photo #1 for a picture of the wire looms. While cutting looms, be careful not to cut the cables or hydraulic lines."

I just installed the GenMar's, the instructions do indeed say to cut the looms. Instead of cutting mine, I just slowly bent them up and down until they snapped below the clamp where they are welded on. Make sure not to pull too hard on the hydraulic lines if you do it this way. I figured it was easier to do this than try to get something in there to cut them.

Lambo,

I think the worst part of installing the risers for people with limited tools, is the drilling of the security screws on the ignition switch.

I know guys who have never drilled out a screw in their life and would be totally lost doing this.

I have to drill and easy-out screws almost every day at work, so it wasn't an issue at all, but if you don't have a good set of sharp drill bits and a good drill motor it could be a chore.

Everything else associated with the job is just basic wrenching.

Good luck with whichever choice you make, the risers are definitely worth it.

Kevin

Don't use a dremel tool to cut the wire looms or you might (just might, it's a long shot) accidentally cut the brake line and have to spend $150 for a replacement, and another $45 dollars to have it installed. Don't ask me how I know.

I cut the wirelooms with a pair of dikes. It was easy but I am a gorgeous, hulk of a man and you guys might not be up to my level.

:bb:

I went to the Gen Mar site and looked at the risers. You do have to remove the triple tree to install them. I was mistaken on that. In my opinion if I was going to go through that I would put the Heli Triple Clamp on it since it also moves the bars back and opens up the angle of the bars. I know there is a significant price difference but having the bars pulled back really helped me. Heli also reduces the vibrations in the bars since it is a bigger piece of aluminum that the stock tree.

I will say that the only real hard part is drilling the bolts for the ignition. You must drill them straight and the heads will pop off easily but if you don't drill them straight you will need to get a dremel to grind them down. It is a two hour job total.

That's my two cents worth.

Good Luck.

My gen mar risers are on....it wasn't to bad of a job. I didn't do the overall job ..but helped. I was glad to get someone with the proper tools (torque wrench) to complete the mission. I have a buddy who opened a automotive shop/motorcycle shop together. He has a certified MIT mechanic working for him and has all the tools of the trade. They look great and feel great, I am glad I put them on. The only thing I do not like is the thin cap which covers the bolts does not go back on, there are no threads for the small screw. No biggie. The mechanic was very impressed of the quality and look of them .