RiverRoad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobG

Reaction score
Junction to Dewey bridge, dry, Dewey camp ground, ice in front of entrance in morning, wet during the evening. Gravel and sand on the next twisties to Hittle area. Free range cattle with calves on both sides of road, calves real jumpy and will cross at any time.

After Hittle, road clear to Negro Bill, there the road is a little wet. From there clear to Moab. Gas in Moab cheaper than Junction.

Ran past the Arches then back to Junction.

Deer on the road side near Rabbit Valley.

Started ride at 4:00pm ended 7:15pm one gas stop for the cruiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, I'd be happy just to make it over to Montrose. Snowing again tonight :angry2: .

Thanks for rubbing it in, though.

At this point, I'd be happy just to make it over to Montrose. Snowing again tonight :angry2: .
Thanks for rubbing it in, though.
Well, you live in a riding paradise...you're paying now for the incredible riding you have during riding season? :rolleyes:

All bets are off on the road conditions now.

It snowed here also but just melted on the ground. I could see the snow sticking to the cliffs of the Mesa.

Gunnison is a great location for anything out doors, all year long. Need a few different toys, and your good to go.

I love the snow, but the wife doesn't like the cold. So Junction for now is a good compromise.

When I worked, it was like play to me. In the winter I would carry cross country ski, down hill skis, or snow shoes.

The places I worked at were in locations like Steamboat Springs, Meeker, Kremling, On Aspen Mountain, Red Table Mountain, Big Mesa (west of Gunnison), Monarch Pass, and more, all high sites.

They forced me to use quads, snow machines, 4x4 trucks, and fly in helicopters to access the sites. At times I would take my other motorcycle if all I had to do was paper work. God I loved that job.

Some low landers were afraid of the back country.

I was driving an engineer to one of the sites in a snow cat. 2 hrs of climbing about 8 ft deep snow, back country trails and ridge lines. We got talking about survival, and I told him I was set. He asked me if I had food and blankets, I told him no. I have my hunting knife and you. I told him this is the land of Alfred Packer.

You could see him preying that the cat would keep running.

Only bad part of the job was I couldn't carry a gun, too many lions in those areas.

Now I go just for the fun.

Sorry for the long story, just waiting for the Advil to kick in.

Gunnison is a great location for anything out doors, all year long. Need a few different toys, and your good to go.
Ah, yes... toys indeed. I believe that may apply to life just about anywhere. But you're right. They are an absolute necessity here. Thankfully, after all the skis, backpacks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, mountain bikes, etc., we still manage to put diapers on the baby. :rolleyes:

Absolutely true about Gunnison. Very few places in the Lower 48 provide as many opportunities for outdoor recreation, no matter the season. My wife and I have both worked for the ski area (pinhead = slang for "telemark skier") in Crested Butte for about 15 years now and I can't imagine doing anything else.

Seems to me that Junction isn't a bad hub to work out of either.

Dave

My nephew and his wife used to live in Grand Junction. Their house was on Gunnison Ave...w/in walking distance of downtown. They've since moved back to Houston (why???) but we got to visit once. I love GJ! Last summer, on a solo ride thru the West, I got to stay in GJ once again...and loved it just as much as the first time. That's some beautiful country out there.