Rivets , no screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgiles

Reaction score
So I've read many accounts concerning saddle bags coming off or loose after retaining screws in the saddle bags came loose, or dropped out all together. As a result I've carefully examined the bags on my 2009. I can't find any screws. Everything appears to have been riveted. Could someone post a picture of the location of the offending screws or have they been replaced with rivets by 2009. Thanks.

Two small M3 screws hold the saddle bag lock cylinder in place. Stock, they come with security torx heads and may / may not have loctite applied to the threads.

Cure is to add a small dab of loctite to the threads so they don't vibrate or come loose.

--G

So I've read many accounts concerning saddle bags coming off or loose after retaining screws in the saddle bags came loose, or dropped out all together. As a result I've carefully examined the bags on my 2009. I can't find any screws. Everything appears to have been riveted. Could someone post a picture of the location of the offending screws or have they been replaced with rivets by 2009. Thanks.
Looky here, centre of picture:

(Click on image for larger view)

They be screws, not rivets.

Dealer should have Loctited them, many (most? [all?]) don't.

[edit]

Different view (later bike, identical apart from colour):

DSCF0304_cr.jpg

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Whan I bought my second hand '09 in the spring of '11, I did remeber a lo of postring that suggested all FJR owners do a coupdl of thisng:

1. The the sabble bag locks and then remount them using LockTite! THIS WAS CONSIDERED Critical;
  2. Also, regrease the rear drive spline.
Well, I kept putting that off ... till the middle of teh sumemr of 2011, I got home from work and found I had lost one saddle tumbler! Naturally, I felt like shit But since I had a third tumbler that comes with a new bike, I proceed to remove teh existign one - after having purchases security Torx wrench set - and then remounted with Locktite. 3 years and 35k km later, no problems.

I think all new riders to teh FJR should look in the Tips and Tricks section of this forum. There are some great suggestions in there.

Cheers! Rheal

Finally I know where these screws are located, Thank you all. Now the torx with the metal post in the middle. I have a torx set, but I've never seen this set up and I know my torx set is not going to work. Is this a special torx bit that has the centre drilled out. Is this a home made thing or can it be purchased?

Regards.

It is a security torx screw. You can buy tools for these screws; even Sears carries them.

Ok found the tool at NAPA and took it apart. It appears the previous owner may have already done it but peace of mind. Now checking the air filter. Is there nothing easy on this thing?

Ok found the tool at NAPA and took it apart. It appears the previous owner may have already done it but peace of mind. Now checking the air filter. Is there nothing easy on this thing?

Actually, the FJR is one of the easier modern bikes to wrench on. (OK, the air filter access is a bit annoying!)

To do any serious maintenance/repair chores, you'll need:

1. Factory Service Manual

2. Tools: Metric sockets (six point by preference), and metric wrenches. One or two decent torque wrenches. Etc.

3. A few unusual tools, some of which can be fabricated

4. Last, but by no means least, the invaluable advice and assistance from the collective wisdom and knowledge base here on the fjrforum.

...To do any serious maintenance/repair chores, you'll need:

1. Factory Service Manual

2. Tools: Metric sockets (six point by preference), and metric wrenches. One or two decent torque wrenches. Etc.

3. A few unusual tools, some of which can be fabricated

4. Last, but by no means least, the invaluable advice and assistance from the collective wisdom and knowledge base here on the fjrforum.
And, if you are going to use 4, particularly if it's a Friday when you seek assistance:5. A very thick skin.

silver spirit: Thanks for the song, man. Now looking for paisley riding pants.

If you have ever replaced the air cleaner on a Goldwing 1800 you will not complain about the FJR!