RK-99 Reflective Tape

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
The first step in increasing my visibility from behind was to purchase some of the RK-99 reflective tape from CycleGadgets.com. The nice thing about this tape is that it is black in color until hit with a light source, then it shines white. I ordered two uncut sheets so that I could custom fit the tape where I wanted. My first application is shown below. I cut a 4x6 piece for the back of each saddlebag. I rounded the corners for what I think is a better installed look. The night shot is not the best example, but I think you will get the idea.

RK-99.jpg

This is how the sheets look.

Installed.jpg

Installed on the bags. They are picking up a little bounced light from the driveway.

Example.jpg

As seen at night. Sorry for the bad photo...too lazy to get out the tripod.

I also like the idea that if I'm ever stuck on the side of the road with no lights, at least I can be seen from a distance. My second step, in increasing my vis, was to pick up my Tourmaster Sonora jacket today in bright yellow. After I have ridden with it for a few days, I will post my impressions.

Boy, I love Google. Wondered about your avatar and Googled it. I still don't understand what the hey it means, but at least I have an idea now. Cool on the reflectors. Now you can tell yours from all the other FJRs out there, cuz, um, oh, wait, we all have that. :)

Boy, I love Google. Wondered about your avatar and Googled it. I still don't understand what the hey it means, but at least I have an idea now. Cool on the reflectors. Now you can tell yours from all the other FJRs out there, cuz, um, oh, wait, we all have that. :)
I'm gonna need a beer...

Hey Dave. Nice job, man! I wonder if that's the same material as the decals that Realtime Industries sells? You've probably seen them on some of the bikes pictured in the forum. They are cut to fit the bags and you can get them with the tuning fork and/or FJR logo screened onto them. I bought a set for $20. How much does the RK-99 cost, per sheet? I might put some in key spots on the sides of the bags and cowlings.

I'm gonna need a beer...
There's no place like home! There's no place like home! There's no place like home! :drinks:

Hey Dave. Nice job, man! I wonder if that's the same material as the decals that Realtime Industries sells? You've probably seen them on some of the bikes pictured in the forum. They are cut to fit the bags and you can get them with the tuning fork and/or FJR logo screened onto them. I bought a set for $20. How much does the RK-99 cost, per sheet? I might put some in key spots on the sides of the bags and cowlings.
Thanks!

I bought two 8x10 sheets for $16.95. Not sure if it's the same thing or not. I still have some other spots I want to do, but wanted to get the back of the bags done first since it's still dark out when I leave for work. I think some additional brake lights will be the next project.

I was looking at doing something similar. I had thought about adding lights to the cases, but didn't want to deal with making them "quick-disconnect" capable. I just ordered a set of HyperLites for the additional lighting that I'll mount near the plate, but I was looking at the tuning fork reflector material and then saw your post. I have similar black decals on my black helmet and was amazed at how visible they really are when light hits them. Might have to go git me some...

Looks good and a bit more subtle than the Real Time ones , and still effective