Roadcrafter or Darien?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which suit should I get?

• Total voters

SnowAviation

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and don't see a clear winner between the Roadcrafter 1 piece

and the Darien 2 piece suit. I have a couple of 2 peice suits so I know how that works

but I have never had a one piece.

Before people start telling me to buy another brand, I'm locked into the above choice,

you see I won first prize at a BMW Rally (Riding my KLR650) and the grand prize was a

Gift Certificate for $800 to purchase either a Raodcrafter or Darien Suit.

Which one should I get?

Last edited by a moderator:
You lucky so and so, congrats :)

I've never had either, a little too much $$ so far, but have ridden with plenty of guys wearing 'Stiches, based on my observations of the two, I'd say that the Roadcrafter 1 piece is the way to go.

I'm biased, but I say go with the Roadcrafter; it's a tough suit that will last you for years. I've had mine going on 6 years now and it's like wearing a glove...even when I'm baking in it during the summer (it does vent pretty well, but when stopped...oh my, lol). It's VERY easy to slip in and out of, can accommodate clothing underneath, and offers great rain protection so long as you pay attention to the folds (avoid leaving a "cup" of folds in the crotch region as it can leak just a bit). Returning from NAFO this year, it was non-stop rain for 6-8 hours...not one leak (I treat mine with wash-in NikWax once a year). They take awhile to break in, but once they do, they're very comfortable.

Which one should I get?
I've ridden the last 13 years in Roadcrafter one-piece suits and love them. I consider it one of my most important pieces of gear and would be hard pressed to give it up. The only reason I'd consider the two-piece is in really hot weather, when stopped to BS with the guys, it'd be convienent to be able to take off the jacket rather than stand around in full gear in the heat. Since most of my riding is of the long distance, IBA type, this is a small consideration for me. My Roadcrafter held up very well when I went skipping down the asphalt at 60 mph. A couple hundred in repairs and it was practically as good as new.

My wife owns a Darien which I'm not tempted to use in the least. It has an unlined collar I find very uncomfortable. Dariens have less ventilation but are more water and wind proof. Sitting behind the FJR fairing, I don't think this is an advantage. Looking at it compared to my Roadcrafter makes me think it would protect less in a crash.

This stuff is pretty subjective, but I think I would look at other company's offering before I chose a Darien.

I've never had either, a little too much $$ so far, but have ridden with plenty of guys wearing 'Stiches, based on my observations of the two, I'd say that the Roadcrafter 1 piece is the way to go.
Not disagreeing with your situation -- but, as far as price goes -- 'Stiches are almost getting to be bargains...!

If you look around, you'll find several riding suits over $1K. In the Nov.'10 issue of CW, there's an ad on page 65 for Alpinestars Durban (textile combo) Jacket and Pants = $1200.

To the OP's query: I'm pro-Roadcrafter -- although I've never had a Darien (...doubt I would, tho...). :huh:

I haven't owned a Darien, but I love my 1 piece Roadcrafters. For the reasons BIODSL listed I've thought about 2 pieces, but I usually will just slip out of the top and let it hang from my waist. You could just as easily take the suit off in a few seconds at stops, but I honestly find I cool off quicker and stay more comfortable when I get back on the bike if I just keep most or all of the suit on at stops.

Enjoy your nice new suit!

I like the Roadcrafter 1 piece, the only negtive is riding in heavy rain for a long time 2+ hr they will tend to leak a little in the croch. I can put it on and take it off pretty quick.

I've searched the forums and don't see a clear winner between the Roadcrafter 1 piece

and the Darien 2 piece suit. I have a couple of 2 peice suits so I know how that works

but I have never had a one piece.

Before people start telling me to buy another brand, I'm locked into the above choice,

you see I won first prize at a BMW Rally (Riding my KLR650) and the grand prize was a

Gift Certificate for $800 to purchase either a Raodcrafter or Darien Suit.

Which one should I get?
Well I have owned many two piece riding suits leather and textile. But I have always lusted over the Roadcrafter 1 piece so I finally got a really nice almost brand new one of ebay for a really good price. I wouldn't own anything else ever again. In the summer I wear shorts and a tshirt under it(and it vents as good as anything else) and just take it off when we stop for breaks. I wash it and spray it with water proofing ever winter and it hasn't let me down in the rain yet. I rode all day Monday in the rain on my vacation and not one little leak. Can't say the same for my wife's Tourmaster stuff. I think the Roadcrafter is the most comfortable riding gear I have ever owned. Either way if you don't like what you get sell it on ebay and you will get a very good price for a slightly used Stich.

I think the 1 piece roadcrafter would show off your figure really nice.

The 2 piece might be a little more slimming. :wub:

Johnny, always the practical thinker, that's the kinda imput I'm looking for.

Is it warm, does it leak? pfft who cares about that stuff...

;)

I think most people that have decided to go the 'stich route have struggled with this one. They have a section on thier website/catalog that go over this discussion but it doesn't help much. I have had a Darien for probably 100k miles now. I am totally sold on it. I guess the greatest compliment comes in that I bought a new Darien jacket this year just because my Hiviz had faded enough not to be so Hiviz anymore and I wanted to be as noticible as I could. So my still functioning original Darien got replaced with a new one. Either one (and the coresponding Darien pants) have never let me down in the rain, including all day rain and a number of frog chokers. Though I haven't tested it, the crash survival stories are numerous and I am confident in either choice for that. There is a rack hanging at the factory with crashed suits hanging there that is very sobering. They have tags hanging from them with notes like "collided with deer-70mph" and such things. It briings it home that there was a person in that suit that lived to send it in for repair.

I like that they are made in the USA. I like that they are made in Minnesota! (I am a little biased there). They have a stellar reputation for quality and service. The people at the factory are as down to earth as you can find anywhere. Very laid back and "real". After spending way too much time at the factory/showroom I came away with this feeling. The Roadcrafter is possibly more crash protective. The one piece won't ride up like a separate jacket could and there is an extra layer of tough ballistic nylon at the shoulder and elbow. The one piece goes on and off in seconds over regular clothes so you can be "normal" looking easily. The Roadcrafter jacket is a bit more stylish if going two piece and the jacket is worn alone.

But I chose the Darien and here is why. The Darien is unlined so possibly cooler on a hot day. I didn't want a reason to not wear it. It works over a slightly broader temperature range. It is longer in the body so can give double coverage to your butt in the rain. I wanted the option to go jacket only if too hot, but this proved to be a non-issue as I never go without my Darien pants in practice. I was also a bit wary of a one piece because I am large. At 6'4" I have worn jumpsuits that left the "boys" feeling a bit separated at the crotch if you know what I mean. In retrospect I probably could have gotten the proper fit from Aerostich if I had tried. What pushed me over the edge was the salesperson telling me about a guy that just got his second Darien, whos job was to take soil samples in remote areas. That guy was taking samples near the artic circle in Scandanavia somewhere that week using a dirt bike.

I doubt this all helped you much, but you can't really go wrong. You are very lucky to be able to pick from the Gold Standard in touring/protective clothing. There are a lot of nice textile options out there now, but the 'stich is legendary. It just plain works. Perhaps if you want a different route, you could look at thier new leather Transit suit. Very sharp looking and getting good review, but more expensive still. Otherwise, in my very humble opinion, I would say for ultimate protection go with the one piece Roadcrafter. For a little broader range go with the Darien combo. Either way, prepare to be a Aerostich convert.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

I think the 1 piece roadcrafter would show off your figure really nice.

The 2 piece might be a little more slimming. :wub:

Johnny, always the practical thinker, that's the kinda imput I'm looking for.

Is it warm, does it leak? pfft who cares about that stuff...

;)
+1, Gunny! johnny80s riding suit only leaks and is warm when he is peeing in it, which he does quite regularly. I never ride right behind johnny80s on a SoCal group ride because of this disturbing issue! I always try to ride behind dj bill, even though that has its own set of problems I'd rather not discuss! Something wrong with SoCal guys!

I use 1 piece 'stitch all the time. It's the second one for me. The first was 10 yrs old and still good although faded. I rode to Duluth to pick up and left the old one there. Saved tax, +10% and had an enjoyable ride around the great lakes. I'd buy another in a New York minute. I've been through some serious rain while wearing it with no problems. My riding season is only 7 mths so I wash it once per year following manufacturers instructions, I use "nik wax" brand soap and waterproof for gortex material. I think some people wash 'em too often.

A friend got wiped out by a pick up truck while wearing his 'stitch and says it saved his bacon, even though he had broken ribs and dislocated shoulder.

Is it warm, does it leak? pfft who cares about that stuff... ;)
On a more serious note: I think, if you inquire more at Aerostich, you'll find that 'warmth' (in cold weather) isn't one of the Roadcrafter's attributes (despite being thought of by many as kinda-like a snowmobile suit...). The textile used is supposed to 'breathe' -- and there's no added insulation.

The Darien, though, is designed for a liner to be used for warmth, if desired.

The 'leak-thing' can be an issue when zippers are involved -- zippers, too, can be an issue (themselves).

Got jackets/pants and an old blue Roadcrafter and my answer is that you'll like the one that fits how you use it.

If I know I'm going out with others and we'll stop at restaurants or go shopping, the 1-piece 'Stitch is a pain. You have to get it off and find a second parking place for your suit. To get it on/off for me means taking my boots off and standing in socks temporarily. If you go into a restaurant and just slip the top off, you have this really big tail that takes a lot of booth space. Same with shopping or running errands when it's really hot out. I'd rather be able to slip out of a jacket and keep the pants on. If you ride a lot when it gets above about 80, the jackets give you more flexibility. I can mix between a solid jacket and a vented one, with riding pants to DragNJeans.

That said, I ride in my 1-piece Roadcrafter almost every day that I head to the office and there're good reasons it's so popular with the highway and commuting crowd. It's relatively quick to get on/off while standing, it covers my office clothes, I'm not tempted to just wear the jacket, I'm pretty good with most weather, layering sweaters and jackets in it is easy, and it has a routine for what goes in each pocket. Plus, it has a place to park at work and home.

I'm able to get my one piece off over my boots. I wear it every time I ride. I chain it to my bike when I'm leaving it in a parking lot. Simple. Comfortable. Nice.

I commute every day on a XL500R and wear the 2 piece. So I have had it on and off twice a day, for over 5 years now.

My only complaint, is my zipper pulls started breaking off after 4 years of solid use. Lost both on the left side, cuff and leg. Easy enough to replace, just a pain when it's dumping and you can't get the leg closed. I make temp. pulls from dental floss, and scoot.

Warmth, well kinda subjective. Mine feels okay down to about 50, then it's time to layer up. Below 40, retrieve the neck gator from the leg pocket. Below 30, put the studded tire on and gantlet gloves.

Above 80, thin long sleeved shirt, and pants, as you can get heat burned thru this suit when it gets to 100's+. It does breathe, and that was the difference last summer in Eastern Wa. when it was in the 100's. All my V-twin buddies were stripping down to vests and shorts. I stayed full suited and sucked on the camelback. Better protection from windburn, which they all suffered(he-he)

The suit wears like iron, and if you Nik-wax it once a year, you will stay dry. 90 minute downpour over SR20(North Cascades), not a drop got thru. People tell me at work that I'm gonna get wet going home, I reply: "You'll get wetter walking to your car than I will all the way home".

Just remember to tuck your pantlegs in the boots or fold them up and they will be fine.

The really nice thing about the Aerostich, you can get it custom cut to you! And they will even send you a suit to try on to see where and what needs altering. How's that for service?

Got mine with 2" extra in the legs.

Take it off, hang it up, couple hours it's dry. On and off, every day for 5 years now,minimal problems, I'm sold.

I've had a Hi-Viz one-piece for about 4 years now (only really used it for the last year or so). When I'm riding solo and don't plan on stops for anything other than fast food or fuel, I wear it. It's actually easier to get into and out of than my Tourmaster pants (full side zippers w/velcro) and a jacket. I haven't waterproofed it since I got it, and it sorely needs it (returning from Greens/Whites this year, only kept me dry for about the first hour of three in the rain :( ). Can't beat it for visibility, and I agree with comments that even in hot weather, you can vent enough to stay reasonably cool, unless you're talking Africa-hot. If I were to ride in reallly cold weather (near freezing), I might need to go electric, since my suit is a little snug for too many decent layers (suit musta shrunk after that long ride in the rain...yeah, that's it!). I can send it back to them for alterations, which is something I'm considering. I had a broken zipper earlier this season and they fixed it quickly and for free, based on the miles I had on it.

The only thing about the suit that does bug me a ltitle is that there are snaps at the bottom of the leg zippers that I suppose are meant to help close the leg tightly around the boot. However, those snaps are on the inside of the leg and rub directly on the plastics above the pegs. Someone pointed it out to me at the Greens/Whites ride this year, as I hadn't noticed it. I still have a piece of clear packing tape on each side of the bike to try to limit the damage.

Other than that, love the one-piece. If money were no object, I'd get a two-piece to wear when riding with the wife (she can't stand the Hi-Viz, which is part of the reason I wear the other gear when 2-up, so it would be a lesser color!)