Roady XT and ZEN MP3 player

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I was sitting here yesterday surfing. Trying to find a bluetooth interface for my Etymotic earplugs. I'm thinking that will be the way to go. Looking ahead to having some kind of dedicated sophisticated GPS on my bike for the big trip to WFO5. Haven't chosen a unit, yet, but thinking about it. I wouldn't mind having other functions, too, like cell phone and 2 way radio capability, but I want to have in the ear plugs.

Stereo bluetooth isn't hard to come by. What I had difficulty finding an interface so that I could plug my earphones in, receive XM (and whatever else), and un-tether myself from the bike.

Until yesterday, I had a Delphi Skyfi on the bars with the earplug cord flailing in the breeze. It worked OK, but it was a bit of a nuisance.

I also have an MP3 player. It has a 1 gig flash memory AND a built in FM receiver. It only takes 1 AAA battery and is about the size of a Bic lighter. That has been very nice. It's a Creative ZEN unit.

Creative Zen Nano Plus MP3

prod12720_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

My solution to untethering myself (at least for now) was to use the MP3 player in my pocket and then match up the FM signals with the Roady XT. Surprisingly, this set up works beautifully. The signal is pretty strong, and the music comes through as clear as anything. A very pleasing result!

The Roady XT is a sweet little unit. Smaller than all the others, so far. Better daylight readable display. Only two lines of display, but I don't care. I just want to listen more than anything, not sit there and read (although it does have streaming stocks and sports!).

Roady XT

RXTGallery1Large.gif

I bought this thing at Walmart for under $50. There's a $30 rebate coupon online good until Dec 31.

This isn't an end all, catch all. I can still see getting an intercom/interface/mixer later on. But I won't give up my in the ear plugs. Helmet speakers are fine, but not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally found a couple Bluetooth adapters that I would be able to use for my Etymotic in the ear headset. The second one is even compatible with cell phone headsets. Don't know much else about it, and haven't found any reviews yet, but I thought I'd throw this out there for your perusal:

Creative makes an audio unit:

Creative Wireless Audio Adapter
fe2.gif

It doesn't look like the Creative unit is available in the US, but I did find it on many European pages for about 66 Euros (about 80 bucks). It uses regular AAA batteries.

Another choice is the Free Style FS300

FS300.jpg

image3.jpg

Essentially you plug any 3.5 mm plug or your cell phone headset into it and it can pick up any open source Bluetooth signal. It has rechargeable batteries. You can clip it on and it looks to be just a bit larger than the MP3 player I already have. This thing is about 40 bucks.

Google is a wonderful thing. You just have to figure out the keywords. Then hope for a little luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey FJRROCKET;

what model Etymotic earplugs do you have?

When I ride with ear plugs they seem to build up pressure in my ear canal after about an hour, have you experienced this with the Etymotic earplugs?

Is there alot of clearance between the plugs and the helmet?

I too am investigation an audio solution to use MP3, GPS, and bike to bike communication. I've seen the various mixers but can't recall if you can use your own earbuds or if you have to use helmet speakers.

What is the BT transciever buying you?

thanks

-=SF=-

If you can get your hands on the Creative model, I think that you would be better off. I don't recall what it was that I bought that had the MSI brand on it, but I do remember it was very cheaply made and not of good quality. Just my .02.

Hey FJRROCKET;
what model Etymotic earplugs do you have?

When I ride with ear plugs they seem to build up pressure in my ear canal after about an hour, have you experienced this with the Etymotic earplugs?

Is there alot of clearance between the plugs and the helmet?

I too am investigation an audio solution to use MP3, GPS, and bike to bike communication. I've seen the various mixers but can't recall if you can use your own earbuds or if you have to use helmet speakers.

What is the BT transciever buying you?

thanks

-=SF=-
There's a bunch of us on the board that bought Etymotic ER6i ear plugs from various vendors. Erwin Computers seemed to have the best buy.

They do take some getting used to, but they block out a LOT of noise and I can wear them at least a tank full. Usually put them in and leave them. I've been using them with my SkyFi without any amplifier for months. Even then I have to lower the output of the XM unit to keep my hearing intact. I did order some replacement plugs and inserts, and they weren't cheap. But the foam plugs get dirty. I have washed them, but you have to be VERY careful about the plastic tube in the center. It blocks easily.

Thanks for the tip, Ock. When I make the jump, I'm probably going to stick with the Garmin, which transmits FM, so I'm actually all set. For now, anyway. I was just happy to find a couple choices that I could plug my own headset into to make it "wireless".

hello

i am a newbie to this forum.Just joined for discussing what's in my mind here.I would surely love to be an active member and add up my views here.

just heard about this thing called "Motorcycle intercom"

This motorcycle intercom system provides an economic answer for rider to passenger communication without delay, static and interference. The slim dual helmet earphones are simple and easy to use. Just Velcro directly into your helmet lining, no damage or drilling of your helmet is required. Connect the noise reduction microphone to your helmet with the supplied two sided tape.

Eliza

bluetooth motorcycle intercom