RoadyXT problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I really like playing XM through my Etymotics when I'm out traveling. I started with Delphi SkyFi, then moved to the smaller Roady. My first Roady bounced out of the cradle and smashed it's way down the highway while in Little Rock on my SS1K. That sucked. Now, the replacement unit is going all wonky. The sound is very clear on one channel (ER6i plugged part way in), but gets very wierd sounding when fully jacked in.

I give up. I'm not buying a 3rd Roady. Instead, I opted to go with the slightly larger and more portable Samsung Helix. These are quite a bit more pricey, but have more options. I bought a refurbished unit today for $65, but new ones can be had for $100.

Pros and Cons like most stuff. One thing I hate about most of these units is that they come with a home docking station instead of a car docking station to charge the removeable rechargeable battery. Screw that. I bought a seperate travel adapter for $30 instead of a $70 car adapter. The plan is to just velcro the unit to my XM mount on my AE. I think the power plug for the Roady can be used to power the travel adapter and charge/play the unit on the bike.

One nice feature with the Helix is that you probably won't need a remote antenna (with 20 feet of cable). It also has a meager 1 gig internal memory for Mp3s, and it transmits to an FM radio (I think). Supposedly it will play Mp3s for about 10 hours, and will play XM for about 5 hours on a full charge, too. Handy for mowing the lawn, etc..

Now I just hope the Helix gets here in time for the Hooterville 400.

Biggest issue with my Roady2 is that the antenna will sporadically cut out... and I have to jiggle/rotate the antenna cable to get it to come back. I think I read that the internal connection/board mount for the antenna is a piss-poor design, and if you crack open the case, and resolder the joint, it will solve the issue. Unfortunately, I'm a lazy SOB and haven't gotten around to it... :rolleyes:

And can somebody please explain to me why NOBODY has come out with a ruggedized XM in a compact form factor, that doesn't mind getting a little rain on it???? Am I just missing the obviousness of why these aren't being built???

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried plugging in the earphones into something else? My Etymotics started doing the same thing, and it turned out the connector plug was the problem, not the device I was trying to listen to. Try testing out both the ear buds and the Roady with different equipment to verify what the problem is.

Yes, that was my first instinct. I checked my Etymotics with my Autocom and both my other Mp3 players. The ER6i's are fine. Something defiinitely wrong with the Roady itself. I even had a spare cradle for the radio and tried that. It's the radio, not the cradle or the earphones. Dangit!

I've had two Roady's do this very thing. First a Roady then a Roady II. I have not had the antenna problem Groo mentioned, but have heard extensively about it. The problem is the same though, bad connections from the jack to the board internally. Pain in the ass to fix, and I do this stuff for a living. Would like to see a ruggedized one.

Jim

And can somebody please explain to me why NOBODY has come out with a ruggedized XM in a compact form factor, that doesn't mind getting a little rain on it???? Am I just missing the obviousness of why these aren't being built???
I asked the folks at XM when I ordered my Roady 2 this same question and the answer I got was that there was not enough market potential for those of us who would expose our Roadies to the elements - motorcycles, bicycles, etc.

They seem to feel that their market is almost exlusive to in-home and in-car use.

Roady2, bad audio out connection, lose left side sporadically, a press on the jack is good for 10 minutes or so, most prevalent cold.

FJRocket,

Did you have the RoadyXT "classic"? If so, would you consider selling me one of cradles?

I asked the folks at XM when I ordered my Roady 2 this same question and the answer I got was that there was not enough market potential for those of us who would expose our Roadies to the elements - motorcycles, bicycles, etc.

They seem to feel that their market is almost exlusive to in-home and in-car use.
The best way to get a ruggedized, weather-proof XM radio is to add a GXM-30 to a compatible Garmin GPS unit. They are built for boating use, and are bulletproof. Not cheap, of course, but I was in the market for a GPS when my third Roady 2 failed (two with antenna connector problems, one with audio out problems), so I bit the bullet and got a Zumo with a GXM-30, specifically to have good, solid XM reception rain or shine.

I've got the Samsung version of the helix and have it mounted in a small Pelican Case. I think its the 1010 or 1020, its the same size they sell for Ipods and the XM fits perfect.