Rode a C14 Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care so much about the ground clearance or the seating position of the C14. The FJR is far superior IMO in just about every aspect to the C14 except one, the drive line.
I own two modern FI bikes (06 FJR & 04 FZ6) and have ridden two others (ST3 & Sprint ST). Out of the four of those bikes only two can really compare since the are both I-4's (FJR & FZ6).

The C14 motor was by far smoother and had a much more linear power delivery without any throttle abruptness. This is on a stock bike with less than 200 miles on it. Plus the transmission shifted smoothly without any clunkiness. Neither of my Yamaha's ever felt this smooth especially when new.

Now before people jump my shit and tell me to go buy a C14, let me say I love my FJR and have no regrets about buying it. I've put 8,000 trouble free miles on it since last November. Probably the best bike I'll ever own. It truly is a do all motorcycle in my eyes.

I guess no bikes perfect though, the C14 lacks some of the things that make the FJR such a great bike IMO. If the FJR had the refined drive line the C14 has it would be perfect. I hope Yamaha takes notice and acts accordingly.

Eric:

Did you relax your throttle spring, reset oxygen levels, and do the barbarian jumper mod? I did these and the bike is very smooth especially at slow speed maneuvering, which was a bitch before. No need on my bike for a PCIII or any other mod to the FI system.

I'll vouch for your love for the bike based on our brief travels together at the STn national meet. SO DON'T FLAME HIM GUYS, OK!

@ ejworthen,How did you like the FJR on your trip out to Custer for STN?
The bike was great for the trip. Exactly the type of riding I bought it for. Mad me realize the seat isn't as good as I thought it was though. :blink: Looks like I'll be getting a Russell soon.
I don't care so much about the ground clearance or the seating position of the C14. The FJR is far superior IMO in just about every aspect to the C14 except one, the drive line.I own two modern FI bikes (06 FJR & 04 FZ6) and have ridden two others (ST3 & Sprint ST). Out of the four of those bikes only two can really compare since the are both I-4's (FJR & FZ6).The C14 motor was by far smoother and had a much more linear power delivery without any throttle abruptness. This is on a stock bike with less than 200 miles on it. Plus the transmission shifted smoothly without any clunkiness. Neither of my Yamaha's ever felt this smooth especially when new.Now before people jump my shit and tell me to go buy a C14, let me say I love my FJR and have no regrets about buying it. I've put 8,000 trouble free miles on it since last November. Probably the best bike I'll ever own. It truly is a do all motorcycle in my eyes. I guess no bikes perfect though, the C14 lacks some of the things that make the FJR such a great bike IMO. If the FJR had the refined drive line the C14 has it would be perfect. I hope Yamaha takes notice and acts accordingly.
Eric:Did you relax your throttle spring, reset oxygen levels, and do the barbarian jumper mod? I did these and the bike is very smooth especially at slow speed maneuvering, which was a bitch before. No need on my bike for a PCIII or any other mod to the FI system.I'll vouch for your love for the bike based on our brief travels together at the STn national meet. SO DON'T FLAME HIM GUYS, OK!
I haven't really found the need to do any of that, at least until now. My point is that you shouldn't have to do these things. The bike should be smooth as glass from the factory.

My point is that you shouldn't have to do these things. The bike should be smooth as glass from the factory.
Eh, I'd point the fingers (index and middle) at the EPA and CARB before I called for the caning of the manufacturer. You think they *want* to have to lean engines out as far as they do?

I'm just glad the issue can be addressed electronically, rather than having to rejet, test, rejet, test, etc....Once you spring for the power commander, maps are free. Back in the carb days, breaking loose the money for a pipe was almost a secondary issue, it was more of a hassle to find a mechanic you trusted to jet the carbs to get it to run properly.

My point is that you shouldn't have to do these things. The bike should be smooth as glass from the factory.
Eh, I'd point the fingers (index and middle) at the EPA and CARB before I called for the caning of the manufacturer. You think they *want* to have to lean engines out as far as they do?
Why can Kawasaki make a very similar bike that meets EPA specs and is still very smooth? The C14 didn't need anything done to it to smooth it out. It came that way from the FACTORY. If Kawi can do it, so can Yamaha, that is my point.

Why can Kawasaki make a very similar bike that meets EPA specs and is still very smooth? The C14 didn't need anything done to it to smooth it out. It came that way from the FACTORY. If Kawi can do it, so can Yamaha, that is my point.
I dunno, maybe moving the grunt up over the 5k RPM point is a factor. (talking off-idle throttle response)

reports from several sources are saying all's not sweetness and light with the C14 as it also suffers from low speed "issues" and some recent dyno reports were showing only about +5 to +8hp over the FJR while also showing very lean settings in the lower ranges.

August Cycle World has a two page spread on the C14 (Just an ad, not a writeup)

Page 14-15

A few observations

Ad writeup

"Luxury is in the details.

Like the one hour, six minutes and thirty-two seconds you shaved off your trip."

-----------------------------

Fuel gauge shows 135 mile range with what looks like a little less than 3/4 of a tank left

-----------------------------

Photo layout shows bike taking a sweeper with the left side showing (hiding the can from view)

P.S. The cycle world staff has laid down their 2006 AE twice now, once per side (pg 96)

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by and looked at a 14 the other day. Pretty bike. Sure would like to ride one.I would not buy one regardless of the superior aspect of the bike. I have a penske shock on the way. Small lighter aftermarket cans (thanks radmart) and a PCIII / G2 / and a few other things that I forgetI drag my pegs ALOT!!! Now, Am I going to fast?? or am I too fat?? Leaning off, Yea sure I am doing that too and I am sure I could do it better. But I dont think I am riding to fast.I have had my centerstand touch down in a lefthand sweeper 2up, 3 bags loaded (E52 as well)There will always be some greener grass on the other side.I am going to stick to my guns. After the Shock mods, I think the FJR will be more capable than I am willing pretty soon. I thought I was fast. The boys in Cali I rode with are fast. They have some suspension mods I dont and that appears to be the maker..... (that and they are very good riders)Faster than that and I need a different bike all together, and I am looking into that now
I have the Wilbers with all the bells and whistles, including the height adjustment. With decent aftermarket stuff, you can set up to go quite aggressively before touching stuff. Places I dragged the pegs before-not even close now. But, probably still wouldn't be able to keep up with the Cali boys!The Kawi: Can't remember where I saw a full review, some kind of local paper somewhere-but it was not a great review. The main complaints I remember was less horsepower than I would expect, VERY heavy, wants higher rpms for any grunt and the front end tends to tuck in at twisties, to the point the reviewer said he'd get pretty tired on longer rides if he had to keep that much pressure on the bars to keep a line and prevent front end tip-in. I'll stick with the Feejer. Aha, I see another thread includes the review I saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the 14 prior to buying the FJR and I decided to go with a tested and proven bike. I bought the Warrior in 02 a first year model production and I have suffered through 3 recalls. Luckily for me I had 2 bikes so I didn't miss any riding time.

The power, EJ, tell us about the power!
It was kind of hard to compare to the FJR. Since it's geared different you just don't feel the torque on the C14 like you do on the FJR. It seems to build power slow at low RPM, then it starts to kick in rather fast as you build RPM's.

You can put it in 6th gear and run around 3,000 RPM or lower at highway speed (60 mph or so) IIRC. Roll on the throttle at that point and the bike responds well. Your not going to take off extremely fast but it will accelerate moderately until around 4,500 RPM I would guess.

The best way I can describe the power is deceptive. It kind of sneaks up on you. The smoothness of the power delivery kind of helps give this perception

That's my take on it at least.

I looked at the 14 prior to buying the FJR and I decided to go with a tested and proven bike. I bought the Warrior in 02 a first year model production and I have suffered through 3 recalls. Luckily for me I had 2 bikes so I didn't miss any riding time.
The 2004 wasn't a first model year, yet, I suffered through 1 recall (TBS), fluid leaks in the drive train, and the dreaded tick. Here we are a bunch of years into FJR production and they are still having problems.

I didn't ride one, but I did sit on one. Some reviews pegged it as for taller riders, but my 5'8" sat on it maybe an inch higher than it would have on an FJR... it wasn't like I was on my tippy-toes, as described on motorcycledaily.com

I'm just glad the issue can be addressed electronically, rather than having to rejet, test, rejet, test, etc....Once you spring for the power commander, maps are free. Back in the carb days, breaking loose the money for a pipe was almost a secondary issue, it was more of a hassle to find a mechanic you trusted to jet the carbs to get it to run properly.
I'd have to disagree with your assessment on who to blame. If one bike maker can build their engine "buttery smooth" under the same legal stipulations from the EPA and CARB, then the only fault HAS to lay with the manufacturer. Or did Kawasaki get some kind of waiver? I doubt it.

Since the '06 &'07 FJRs are "refinements", rather than "redesigns" of Gen I models, the FJR is becoming a "parts bin" bike and perhaps electronic band-aids in the ECU just aren't getting the job done when comparing to new models designed with new laws in mind.

This is not a "bad" thing...it's perfectly normal in the lifespan of any given product. Hopefully, though, future FJRs will benefit from new ideas rather then new compromises applied to old problems.

After seeing the C14 in Daytona, I knew there was no way I'd be tempted to own one. It simply IMO was the least attractive of all the ST's. Between the "removable" vent deflectors that were a blatant screw up to the bag integration and exhaust design there was no way I would be a participant in allowing the visuals to mix into the motorcycle gene pool. I put the BMW GT's fairing in the same, albeit smoother, class. Probably slides nicely though. Separating style from engineering I took the opportunity to ride one and was impressed with it's drivetrain, especially the smoothness and lack of "slop". Very tight. So now, looks bad, feels good and was tight. Hmmmm..... what does that remind me of? :rolleyes: Don't be misled, this engine is NOT vibration free. It's just that what little is there feels, well, "remote" is probably the best word I could use. Not dissimilar to the Honda ST1300.

I could sense heat that would come and go, especially in parking lots after some higher speed use. Also very STish. I wear good riding clothes though, so this wasn't a big deal for short rides. Don't know what it would be like burning a couple of tanks in a day. Given the 5.8gal tanks, it should be survivable. The point is while it wasn't a desirable feature and was much more noticable than my '06 FJR, it probably wouldn't be too tough to get around either. Same for the smoothness issue. While the FJR is not as inherently smooth as the C14 it's also not a rough running engine by any standard either. And with a little attention to details it can be brought down to levels that make it a non-issue. Power? Yes, it has power but the FJR is stronger down low where I tend to ride. Actually both are more power than I can use down low or up high so between them it is moot point. I'd gladly give up some go on either to get increased mileage that I can use EVERY time I ride. How about a FJR1100? Now there would be a marketing disaster! Forget I said that . . . Handling? Nice but with the new 021's on it should be. Switch to those on your FJR and you'll be pleasantly surprized AND you won't have the low speed turn in to deal with.

After accepting that the C14 was not going to be a possibility I was secretly hoping it would be blazing fast - low and high so as to siphon off the serious speed riders into their own insurance grouping. That almost happened. If they had just left the compression up at 12:1. But noooo.

Since Kaw pulled the plug on the C10, the unquestioned long legged value leader, and replaced it with a short legged blend of the Honda/Yamaha entrants, you now have the market cut up in a confusing way. Used to be that if you wanted value you got a C10; speed bought you a FJR and the smoothies went Honda. Oh yes, if you wanted to show you appreciated Tutonic engineering at any cost there was only the BMW. How will ST buyers make their decisions now? The same way they always have - process of eliminating those that offend our most sacred virtue then choosing from the soldiers left standing and farle the hell out of it!. Don't want the slowest even though it's plenty fast? Scratch the ST or RT. Feel like the princess and the pea and can't stand even a hint of buzz, forget vibration? Scratch the BMW or FJR. Style really does matter? See ya C14 or RT. Value rules everything? Bye Bimmer's.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Just at a higher price.