Rode my first Harley

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Well I got a chance to ride my first Harley. My dad recently traded his Honda VTX 1300 on an 06 Electraglide. It is a nice looking bike and very big. It is fully loaded with cruise control, and the full sound system. There was also a-lot of storage on the bike, makes me want to hurry up and get the top case for the Feej.

I was surprised at how it rode. It felt like it handled much better then his honda,(my only other time on a cruiser) and felt very satble for a large bike. I was super comfortable and made for long stretches of interstate. I also thought that the sound system was a nice touch.

Where the problems set in was when we got stuck in rush hour traffic on the interstate. At idle the whole bkie shakes and the air cooled engine cooks you slowly. I heard that FJR's had heating problems but this bike takes the cake. My left leg was red and tender by the time my dad and I returned to our individual bikes.

As long as you can keep moving the bike would be a nice highway machine. Not the bike for me right now but I can't say that I hated the experience. Besides I wear too much gear to let them sell me one.

Air cooled bikes can be quite hot, and the FLH exhaust is right at your ankles and feet

The Electra Glide is a comfy cruiser, but you should be over 60 and have a long beard if you ride one. :p

You know, I've never ridden a Harley. In fact, the only time I've ridden a cruiser was an R1200C test-ride before I got the FJR.

This would be a good time to start bashing harleys again, right? lol

Air cooled bikes can be quite hot, and the FLH exhaust is right at your ankles and feetThe Electra Glide is a comfy cruiser, but you should be over 60 and have a long beard if you ride one. :p
You forgot the ponytail and a few hundred tatoos!

You saying I gotta grow my hair out again? Geez....you guys are hard to please. Plus, I have to add to my tattoos? Christ on bike.

Deep breath odot…it was just an observation. Even MNFJR05, the Harley-Davidson™ Antichrist, has thrown a leg over a beast from Beertown at one weak or insane moment. (IIRC there WAS smoke coming from every point that my body touched the belching, shuddering, fulminating archfiend from Wisconsin.) And I admit they(Harley-Davidson™) have improved significantly in the past 22 years(although I believe it was their only choice at the time other than bankruptcy). Now, said changes were limited mostly to moving away from the continuous oil change policy and they have improved fit/finish/overall build. In the end they are still 1960’s designed bikes at heart. The FLs are still the ridiculous flexible-flyer design and rubber mounts address symptoms, not the root cause.

Compared to other bikes of the modern-era(post-Korean Conflict) they are 7/8 scale bikes in both power and size compared to offerings from HonKawYamZuki. I don’t think the Big4 will ever dominate the cruiser market. Harley-Davidson™ focuses on building a lifestyle and an image around a piece of artwork. The Big4 build bikes for a purpose. The Big4 have engineers, Harley-Davidson™ has “stylists”. The cruiser market is more concerned about looking good rather than going fast or far. And if you want to look good with that crowd, straight-pipes, a well-coifed foot long beard and a Milwaukee goiter beat torque and horsepower any day of the week.

;)

As for the tats, Christ on a Bike??? You are a rare one indeed! The vast majority are skulls, animals, girls showing their boobies(or more) and Harley-Davidson™ Bar and Shield logos. More like a billboard than art and a waste of canvas space in my humble(did I say humble???) opinion. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm....ok. Tattoo wise, I've got a frog on heroin in a ring of fire on one arm, starman on the other, my alias as a badge and my family crest on my back.....really a nice job that rob did with that one. Lots of painful hours spent....and lots of cash. Oh, the top of the family crest is a naked goth girl with a whip....you might like that one......priceless.

Ok odot...we need pictures! These sound like some interesting tats! A frog on heroin? Naked girls on the family crest?

this is my favorite HD rider tat >>
pic1397.jpg

Well I got a chance to ride my first Harley. My dad recently traded his Honda VTX 1300 on an 06 Electraglide. It is a nice looking bike and very big. It is fully loaded with cruise control, and the full sound system. There was also a-lot of storage on the bike, makes me want to hurry up and get the top case for the Feej.
I was surprised at how it rode. It felt like it handled much better then his honda,(my only other time on a cruiser) and felt very satble for a large bike. I was super comfortable and made for long stretches of interstate. I also thought that the sound system was a nice touch.

Where the problems set in was when we got stuck in rush hour traffic on the interstate. At idle the whole bkie shakes and the air cooled engine cooks you slowly. I heard that FJR's had heating problems but this bike takes the cake. My left leg was red and tender by the time my dad and I returned to our individual bikes.

As long as you can keep moving the bike would be a nice highway machine. Not the bike for me right now but I can't say that I hated the experience. Besides I wear too much gear to let them sell me one.

Although I love bashing "Hardley Able-sons" :D I do like them, I wouldn't mind having a Road Glide in my garage, just not as my sole bike.... #3 or 4 I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
As one of the original HOG members and a Harley owner for over 30 years. When it came time to buy a bike to ride in Washington, I got my 06 FJR. I still have my Harley that I bought in March 1982, but I can't see spending 20 large for a bike that I have to spend $3000 on to get it to perform.