ROK Straps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of these based on reviews that they are much better than bungies. My problem is, how/what do you hook these to on the bike? It's a 3 end strap, not a 2 end like your typical bungie. I really didn't think I was this mentally challanged.

I picked up a couple of these based on reviews that they are much better than bungies. My problem is, how/what do you hook these to on the bike? It's a 3 end strap, not a 2 end like your typical bungie. I really didn't think I was this mentally challanged.
It's actual a 2 ended strap. The "smaller" loop goes through "big/loose" to hold the extra length of the strap when it is tightened around the "load". You unclip the other end and feed it through the smaller loop to create a loop around whatever you're attaching it to. I carry my duffel bag on the passenger seat so I look one end through the muffler hangers and the other end to the luggage rack on the tail.

I'm still trying to figure out how ROK Straps are "3-ended," but the video shows at least one application very clearly. The good news is you already got them, so I don't need to try to talk you into trying a pair, but I'll still put in a pitch for anybody else. Bungee straps are undependable and actually dangerous! There are lots of cases where the hook snapped back and nailed somebody very seriously, which I first heard about in horror stories from an eye surgeon I saw way too much of a few years ago. And think how many times you've seen an odd bungee strap laying in the road over the years. I've seen close to a dozen, myself. That's about a dozen lost loads.

I keep a pair of ROK Straps crossed over my back seat all the time, in case I want to bring home something really bulky. One end of each is looped around my "Gerauld" rear rack, the other goes around the short strut between the passenger peg and the fender on the opposite side. When I travel and camp, my large waterproof duffel sits on the back seat, held firmly and very simply by the two crossed ROK Straps. Great product.

(see you beat me to the punch, Roy.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The video shows an adjustable ROK Strap. There is also a taylored length strap. They work differently, so use depends on what you have. The taylored length has a loop at one end, and a buckle set at the other that can form a second loop. This one is cinched over a tube like the video shows for the adjustable strap, but then is stretched over the load and the buckle used to secure the strap to the other side. I have two 30" straps that I use to hold down a waterproof duffle bag as Sac Mike describes. The fixed length straps worked just fine.

I recommend getting the adjustable length straps, since it is easier and more flexible to use. I bought these fixed 30" taylored length straps at A&S and didn't realize there were two different types.

additional-photos-rok-straps-motorcycle-flat-twin-pack-3-4-inch-width-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the video link Don, I don't think I'd seen that. Not sure what caused the mental block, (glad it's not Friday).

The straps I have are just like the one demonstrated in the video, so when holding it, there appears to be 3 ends to it until you actually figure out how to use it.

I also have a pair I keep on the FJR (will be adding a pair to the Super 10 as well). I've carried quite a bit on the pillion seat with these straps; typically I loop the shorter stretch end to the passenger footpeg hangers, then put the adjustable end on the Givi rack. They work so well, I bought a set of smaller straps for my cooler rack on my quad. The only thing I use bungees for anymore is holding up the brake calipers on my wife's car when I do a brake job.

I'd really like a set of these -- bungie chords do the job but not as well. Plus all the bungie chords I found have huge plastic ends that tend to be too big and the chord size is never just right.

Problem is, I hate buying things from overseas -- it seems to take forever and the speed of local mail is bad enough for me.

So, anyone get these locally? I guess I can google around but any personal recommendations?

Thanks,

Dennis

Rok Straps are great, but I don't grok how the non-adjustable models are very useful; I'd strongly suggest only getting the adjustable models. I've got a few of the fixed-length models (I think a couple shorts and a couple mediums), and unless you have a load where the length you need EXACTLY matches what you're securing, you're SOL. These are not like bungees where you can stretch them anywhere from 150% to 250% of their non-stretched length - with Rok Straps, the elastic is much stiffer, so you only get maybe 110%-120% and connecting them under tension is difficult.

- Mark

I just use raw stretch cord purchased by the foot. Just tie it off, loop it over the load however makes you feel good, and tie off.