Rolling Stall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARKIO

Reaction score
I have an 08 FJR with nearly 14K miles. Recently while riding up to a light that had just turned green allowing me to not have to stop, the bike nevertheless stalled after shifting from first to second as if the kill switch was activated. I Quickly engaged the clutch and turned the ignition switch to off and back on and started the bike right up again. I Debated whether to ride the mile home (and garage it) or ride the 14 miles to work, and chose the latter. Bike rode normally (on the highway) to and from but I begrudgingly stayed in the right lane in case of another stall out. It is quite unnerving that this bike while in motion can stall when you have so many dickwad tailgaters out there.

I read all the horror stories of other bikes stalling at a stoplights with low idle but have not seen many posts of the bike stalling while actually in motion (20mph). My ignition switch was already replaced last year under the recall. I called Yamaha Headquarters in Cypress, California and specifically asked the tech support person if they ever heard of this problem before and I was told "no". After reading dozens and dozens of posts including two unfortunate owners who dropped their bikes and contemplating legal action against Yamaha it is amazing that Yamaha is acting ignorant and irresponsible. I am also amazed that there isn't a federal recall on such a pervasive and obvious safety issue. Wonder if Yamaha will have to have their feet forced to the fire as with Toyota.

I have experienced a few stalls on my Gen1 also. It happens when the bike is cold and rolling to a stop, I pull the clutch in and it dies. Starts right up though (coughing a bit) and off I go. I don't like it, it's intermittent, but thank God so far no dangerous situations when it happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called Yamaha Headquarters in Cypress, California and specifically asked the tech support person if they ever heard of this problem before and I was told "no".

I have to ask, has anyone ever asked Headquarters about a problem and heard them say yes?

I'm willing to bet if you called and said you had a flat tire they would deni ever hearing of that too.

I'm getting pretty disillusioned with this bike and this comnpany. Way to many problems. Way to little in response.

Tarkio, I had that problem twice with my 06 when new. It resolved when I performed the Barbarian Jumper mod and then added 7 to the CO levels. Made a heck of a difference. Currently at 52K, and hasn't happened in years.

contemplating legal action against Yamaha it is amazing that Yamaha is acting ignorant and irresponsible. I am also amazed that there isn't a federal recall on such a pervasive and obvious safety issue.

I have to ask, has anyone ever asked Headquarters about a problem and heard them say yes?
I have to ask, is anyone going to expect them to say, "Yes, you caught us. We're evil. We want to screw you every chance we get, and rape your wallet as much as possible."

It's not going to happen with the way we have our system is setup.

HOWEVER, the good people on this forum have generally figured out that Yamaha is ahead of the curve compared to other companies to actually fix things and that when the good people of this forum put their mind to try and help diagnose an issue....instead of say how they're going to sue the company into the stone age....generally help. The tick and ignition switch issue are two great example.

You can go down an adversarial, spleen-venting path, but I'm here to tell you it's one of despair, denial, and little chance of resolution.

Instead, how about you start up a thread trying to figure out the cause? How about turning that energy into something that might actually figure out how to fix it? I'm also here to tell you it would get you MUCH farther to a resolution.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Niehart suggestion. When I had it happen to me the idle was at 950 post a TBS. I didn't check it post , and assumed it would stay at 1100. I corrected it and all was well.

I called Yamaha Headquarters in Cypress, California and specifically asked the tech support person if they ever heard of this problem before and I was told "no".

I'm willing to bet if you called and said you had a flat tire they would deni ever hearing of that too.

I'm getting pretty disillusioned with this bike and this comnpany. Way to many problems. Way to little in response.
Iggy's right, your tone goes a long way to getting problems solved.

As a mater of fact Yamaha replaced the head on my 04 when it got the tick. Free of charge and I was the second owner.