Roof Boxer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRO

Reaction score
So, the boys got me one of these Roof Boxer helmets, a little before Christmas. Many think a Roof Boxer is the coolest helmet out on the road. It's certainly one of the most desirable, and sought-after helmets, here in America. They aren't available here, so don't worry about running down to some cycle gear store, and picking one up. I've heard off-and-on rumors about US dealers, but if you can find one, it'll be a single-supplier, or a 'private' one. Unless you know one of these, your best chance for getting a Boxer, is to have it shipped from some European dealer (Roof is a French company).

The fit is... I could say weird, but perhaps it's just 'French'. It's not a very comfortable helmet, for long trips. I didn't know that so many Frenchmen have no ears, but apparently, this is true. Those with ears, who wear Boxer helmets, have ears that are folded. It takes some acrobatics to get regular ears into a Boxer. If you have big ears - forget it, right now. Don't bother reading further, as this helmet was made for the earless masses of Europe. Similarily, I wasn't aware that there were numerous people out there with round heads, who had indented foreheads and a bizzare, bulging crown up on top. I guess these people all live in France, or somewhere in Europe. Possibly, this is one reason Roof doesn't sell helmets in the USA - too small a customer base. So, if you're an American who just hasta have a Boxer, you should either have a funny-shaped head, or be prepared to make adjustments to the helmet. It can be made to fit... Or, you can wear it until it conforms to your head (your ears may never get used to it). I recommend that you take it apart and shave the crash foam as needed to fit, because the downside of waiting for it to conform to your head's shape, is the chance that your head might conform to the helmet's shape. Of course, if this happens, I suppose you can always tell people that you're from France. If you're considering this method, perhaps you should take some language courses prior to purchasing the helmet, just to be prepared for the possibility. You might also have your ears removed.

The neatest thing about a Boxer, of course, is the way the chinbar flips all the way back around your head. This is the coolest incarnation of the flip-face helmet, yet. The 'face' goes completely out of your way, and it suffers far less from the windstream problems other flip-face helmets have. The original Boxer (mine is an original model), locks into the full-face position via two snaps on the sides of the chinbar. They're attached to the chinbar on flimsy, solid plastic tabs. As you may guess, these tabs don't look real durable. In face-open position, they stand up vertically from the helmet, exposed to any mishap you might encounter. Such as reaching up for the chinbar, to pull it down. Those interested in a flip-face helmet, usually have the impression they can 'flip-on-the-fly'. Let's say you want to grab a stick of gum, or have a smoke, or you just want to spit - you know, to impress the Harley dudes you've cruised up beside, before you pass them by. Well, you better be at a stoplight, because unsnapping and flipping your Boxer up, is pretty much a two-handed process. Now, if you're flying down the interstate with your helmet open, and you've just finished that bonafide, bogus Cuban cigar your brother brought you back from his trip to Jamacia, you can toss that stogie, and flip your chinguard down. Cruise control is nice, however, if you want to lock your helmet into place. Otherwise, you'll probably have to settle for snapping the left side down, as I do... Oh, and as for the chinguard having so much less wind resistance than other flip-face models, you're going to find flipping-on-the-fly sort of ruins that benefit. Instead of just having to reach up and flip your faceguard up or down, you're going to have to reach almost clear around your head for adjustments, sticking an entire arm up into the wind in an unnatural position. If you're at speed on the highway, this sudden, off-balance drag can come as a disconcerting surprise.

The visor deserves some attention all it's own, because it's completely independant from the chinbar. It slides up and down, like a helicopter pilot's helmet, and you can use it with the chinguard either in place, or wide open. If you choose a smoked visor (mine came with one), I want you to know that it's great in the daylight. It's not quite welding-goggle dark, but it cuts the sun down, better than just about any visor I've ever seen. It's a good thing that it flips up out of the way, however, because you aren't going to need it after dark. Do yourself a favor; if you get a Boxer, and you ride much at night, don't get a smoked visor. Another neato feature about the Boxer's visor, is it's infinite adjustment. No rachetting into the position you want - it's held in place by friction. You can adjust it to any position you desire. Which is mighty convienent, because opening the visor is the only way you're going to get any airflow into the helmet. Roof has omitted any other method for air circulation. I'm not sure if this is a small stroke of wisdom, or foolishness, because of my next observation: The visor is an expensive one; $80-something (plus overseas shipping). It's scratch-resistant (it better be). It has an extremely good anti-fog coating. No fog coating, however, is up to this job. The visor is so large (it comes below your nose), and the chinguard is so close to your face, that you can fog this thing up in just a breath or two. It might work better during warmer weather, but in the Winter when your breath fogs - WOW! Watch out. When it's cold out, and you need a closed-up, full-face helmet most, that fog-resistant coating will try to prevent fogging, but it just can't manage. It'll be overcome, suddenly, and you'll find it fogged, completely. That can be real bad, say, if you just hopped on your bike with your visor up, then slid it down into place as you pulled out into traffic. You exhale, and find yourself totally blind, surrounded by a bunch of late-for-class college kids, yapping away on their cell phones about how wasted everybody was at last night's rush party.

There are a few other points I'd like to mention about the Boxer. There are two large, coin-sized screws that retain the visor/chinguard to either side of the helmet. They have a tendency to loosen. If this happens while you're on the road, you will probably notice a rattling sound, though perhaps not. It doesn't occur often, and tightening these is quick and easy, but one should be aware. Checking them occasionally, before riding, isn't a bad idea. Like all flip-face helmets, the Boxer is noisy. You might think otherwise when you first try it on, but a short ride will disabuse you of that illusion. It's not the loudest flip-face I've worn, but it's certainly not the quietest. Lastly, the chinguard comes down quite low, in full-face position. Depending on your riding position, you may find it impedes your ability to turn around and check six. The chinguard usually butts into my shoulder, when I turn to look behind me. With some handlebar risers added to my FJR, this might not happen, but on a pure sportbike, I feel you'd have to depend entirely on your mirrors.

I have no negative comments about these: The quality of the helmet is very good. Forward and periphrial vision is excellent. The interior is well appointed. The chinstrap with quick-release is nice. The finish is excellent. Roof includes a helmet bag.

To sum it all up, I'd have to say the Roof Boxer is the most well-made, poorly-designed helmet I've seen. If you just have to have one, if you gotta look like a Power Ranger or Stormtrooper going down the road, if you have need for one of the most unique, coolest-looking helmets around, and you don't mind spending money on something for limited use... Then go for it. But I wouldn't reccomend one.