Roomier modular helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtnwevo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am shopping for a new modular helmet and was hoping for some advice. For the last couple of years I have been using a Shoei Multitec but am tired of the lack of room between me and the chin bar. I can't get a microphone in there and my lips and chin are almost touching the bar. Wondering if anyone can suggest something with more room in this area?

Other than that it fits me fine, I do have the smallest available cheek pads and it is an XL.

My old Arai RX7 Corsair fits me perfect and I still use it when I need an intercom or am doing a really long ride, but I really dig the modular and want one that fits better.

I heard the new Shoei Neotec has more room but I'm not dedicated to Shoei or Arai and am willing to look at other brands.

Thanks!

JT

I have a Neotec, comfortable, ease to put in communication system, looks tons better then the Multitec.

I'll never go back to a normal full face again.

Unfortunately for most of our PNW guys, this fall's Progressive International MC Show will be in Portland around Halloween instead of nearer to you. They usually have quite a few vendors where you can try on multi brands. That's always a big frustration for me, too, when so much gear really depends on individual fit, and most shops carry only one or two brands. I like my Multitec, but then I don't have a Jay Leno chin.

Most modulars don't fit me well. I need "long oval" not "round".

The Neotec wasn't comfortable for me so I got an HJC which

fit me extremely well right from the start.

Plenty of room for the boom mic.

My chin is very close to the chin bar in my Nolan N-104 so I suspect that probably won't work for you. Eagle Leather in Auburn had helmets that I hadn't seen in other shops. The HD shop in Bellevue had a few other manufacturers which surprised me. Both stores were happy to let me try on helmets several years ago when I was replacing my HJC CL-16 that fit well and protected my head in the low speed accident I had in 2012. Helmet had some pretty good scrapes and gouges but my head was untouched.

I have an HJC modular. It's OK, bang-for-buck, but it's noisy, the vent system is poor, the chin bar lock doesn't always release the first time, the drop-down sunshade comes down too far, had to file it back, and it settles in too far forward. I should have got the XXL.

I second the Schuberth. Love mine. Quiet, comfortable for all day (12-14 hours riding) Rode to Fairbanks, AK from KC in 6 days with it.

GMAX series is my favorite, as I have good size noggin and have the microphone in there as well with the comm unit.

I am on my second as the first was successfully crash tested and performed very well; just updated because I wanted the newer model in white and the red light on the back.

Comfortable, good noise protection, have worn it on several 1k mile trips with no issues. Only one I could find that came in XXXL.

Only one I could find that came in XXXL.
michaelhead.png

I come from a Shoei background. Autocom mic in all of them.

Sprung for last years Schuberth C3 a few weeks ago. Plenty of room for the mic!

Helmet is very comfy & quiet. Has a chin strap retention system. Very encouraging if it works. Easy to remove pads & install headset.

Hey guys,
I am shopping for a new modular helmet and was hoping for some advice. For the last couple of years I have been using a Shoei Multitec but am tired of the lack of room between me and the chin bar. I can't get a microphone in there and my lips and chin are almost touching the bar. Wondering if anyone can suggest something with more room in this area?

Other than that it fits me fine, I do have the smallest available cheek pads and it is an XL.

My old Arai RX7 Corsair fits me perfect and I still use it when I need an intercom or am doing a really long ride, but I really dig the modular and want one that fits better.

I heard the new Shoei Neotec has more room but I'm not dedicated to Shoei or Arai and am willing to look at other brands.

Thanks!

JT
Check out this Helmet.

Neotec has more chin room than my Multitec, but for me the size for size "fit" is different. Schuberth's are a great fit and calling my name when the current Multitec is done.
--G
Holy Sh*t -G that Schuberth will set back your retirement plan by six months!

As far a buying and trying advice, use the suggestions here then check out the helmet reviews on Web Bike World. Then buy candidate helmets online, wear them in the house and return them if they don't fit. Revzilla has great return policy and helmet reviews too. Once you get over the nominal return fee life is good. You can't find a wide variety of buckets in local brick and mortar stores anymore. The time and fuel wasted to see what available will soon outweigh any disadvantage of spending a few bucks on the return.

I prefer Nolan N-104's, but it's really subjective. I have plenty of room between me and the chinbar, unlike my belll revolver evo, which almost touches my chin, barely room for me much less a mike.