Rotating the bike in the garage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QTreiber

Reaction score
My garage is rather full so I occasionally turn my 2006 FJR around by pushing down on its back and rotating it 180 degrees on its centerstand.

The forces that are exerted on the centerstand must be quite high. Could this practice lead to damage? :blink:

I know there is a device (www.turnabike.com) available for doing this, but it turning the bike without it works quite well.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Greetings from the Front Range,

Armin

I've been doing it since 04....but if anything happens because of it you'll be the 2nd to know (myself being 1st) :rolleyes: .....don't see it as a problem though....

Well, I would have recommended that you NOT do it due to the strain on the centerstand. But since Mikey has been doing so long without issue, perhaps it's not such a bad thing.

Still, you won't find me doing it to my FJR.

Crashing, well........that's another thing altogether. :p

My garage is rather full so I occasionally turn my 2006 FJR around by pushing down on its back and rotating it 180 degrees on its centerstand.
The forces that are exerted on the centerstand must be quite high. Could this practice lead to damage? :blink:

I know there is a device (www.turnabike.com) available for doing this, but it turning the bike without it works quite well.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Greetings from the Front Range,

Armin
The turnabike is an option, but a pricey one for sure. Try visiting your local hardware store, purchase a 12" bearing set for a lazy susan along with a 1/8" steel plate that will comfortably fit your center stand legs. Put the steel plate on the bearing set, park your bike's centerstand on the plate and spin away! Cost is about $20 for the whole deal, not $185 like turnabike. Not as slick looking, but it works!

.....a 12" bearing set for a lazy susan along with a 1/8" steel plate.....
Well aren't you a fart smeller...oops I mean smart feller. Good idea CAJW. :thumbsup:

The turnabike is an option, but a pricey one for sure. Try visiting your local hardware store, purchase a 12" bearing set for a lazy susan along with a 1/8" steel plate that will comfortably fit your center stand legs. Put the steel plate on the bearing set, park your bike's centerstand on the plate and spin away! Cost is about $20 for the whole deal, not $185 like turnabike. Not as slick looking, but it works!
Just a bit of a variation on a theme. It is very probable you don't have to do the ball bearing route. I used to take my wheels off and take them in to be reshod. (think I'm getting a tire changing machine, price of changing tires keeps going up, but that's another story) Dealing with the front wheel got to be a pain doing it by myself. I took a piece of 3/4" plywood about 32x42 and ran 2x4's down the long sides then put an eye bolt on each side. Run the bike up on the plywood and put it on the center stand near the front edge of plywood. The weight of the bike makes it almost like you just put two eyebolts into the floor. I could then use a ratchet tie down to hold the front wheel off the ground and could even keep both off the ground in the winter. Because I don't fasten the plywood to the floor, you can spin it, bike and all on a concrete floor pretty easy.

...The forces that are exerted on the centerstand must be quite high.

Armin
Depends on the floor. On mine, smooth concrete, even turning the handlebars makes the centre stand skip, I've stopped doing it.

Probable a thin piece of plywood would ease turning, anything that slides on the floor.

The mechanic in the shop where I get my annual inspection done spins them around on the center stand every time, every bike that has a center stand. He has a concrete floor and spinning the bike around just makes it easier to ride it out the door.

Read somewhere that we could simply use a pizza pan under the stand, and it does the job without damage to the floor.

Have to try it.... :rolleyes:

...The forces that are exerted on the centerstand must be quite high.

Armin
Depends on the floor. On mine, smooth concrete, even turning the handlebars makes the centre stand skip, I've stopped doing it.

Probable a thin piece of plywood would ease turning, anything that slides on the floor.
A small piece of plastic, like what your wife uses as a cutting board makes turning on concrete a very easy thing!

jim

I took a piece of 3/4" plywood about 32x42 and ran 2x4's down the long sides then put an eye bolt on each side. Run the bike up on the plywood and put it on the center stand near the front edge of plywood. The weight of the bike makes it almost like you just put two eyebolts into the floor. I could then use a ratchet tie down to hold the front wheel off the ground and could even keep both off the ground in the winter.

:specool:

Any photo's?