Route Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
I'll be heading out west before I turn north for Hyderseek. I'm looking at the portion from Redding CA to Hyder.

There are main 2 choices;

1 I-5 crossing at Sumas efficient but boring or

2 US-97 up the "dry side" crossing at Osoyoos

I've been on I-5 through there and wasn't impressed. I'm hoping that US-97 would make a reasonable alternative.

I use 97 for my route from California to Oliver, BC. Good road and fun to ride. Some truck traffic, but not bad on an FJR. You can take Canada 1 to Prince George or 97 to Kamloops then into Valemount and on to Prince George. I have done both ways on trips to Alaska and either route is good. Stewart/Hyder is quite a place, you will like it. You could go on up 37, the Cassier, to Watson Lake and return home via the Alcan. Some dirt North of Meziadin junction, but not bad at all,

Have a good trip, the country up there is spectacular and the people very friendly.

Longrider

Eskimoes are not friendly. Unless, you are female. Just ask "odot".

I'll be heading out west before I turn north for Hyderseek. I'm looking at the portion from Redding CA to Hyder.

I've been on I-5 through there and wasn't impressed. I'm hoping that US-97 would make a reasonable alternative.
You gonna come through Umatilla to pick up your bottle of Merlot again?

I've riden 97 from Klamath Falls to Madras Oregon & found it to be boring with tons of traffic. We finally headed West to Portland because we culdn't take it any more. I believe 97 through Washington to be quite nice, but I haven't tried it yet. I5, as you know is as boring as s**t.

If it were me I'd head out to the coast from Redding. Hwy 101 in Northern California is quite nice. Stop at Rolf's on the North side of Orick for a meal, (It's a motel with a great Restaraunt attached to it).

Hwy 101 along the Oregon Coast is great before July. After that the traffic gets pretty heavy, but at least the scenery is great. Crossing the mouth of the Columbia River at the Oregon Washington border is pretty amazing. I can't remember the length of the bridge, but I belive the crossing is well over a mile long.

Roads along the Washington coast are not overly inspiring, so you might like to head inland once you're in Washington. If you have time, there are some GREAT roads around the East side of Mt St. Helens & Mt Ranier or hook up with Hwy 97 or it's about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour blast up I5 to the Canadian border from Seattle, which isn't too bad.

Once you're in BC there aren't too many options... Head for Prince George & turn left on Hwy 16, then right on to the Cassiar Hwy (37) at Kitwanga. There's a big gas station at the Junction at Kitwanga (Esso or Petrocan I believe). Be sure you have at least half a tank of gas or gas up there. The road from Miziadin Junction to Stewart/Hyder is nice with a great view of the Bear Glacier. I've gone well North of Miziadin Junction on my KLR650, but I wouldn't do it on my FJR, too much gravel for the FJR for my taste. Be warned the mosquitoes anywhere North of Kitwanga are small, but they're like Piranahs, (not so bad in town). I'm told they made them small so they could get more in :rolleyes:

On the way home, if you head West on Hwy 16, Prince Rupert is pretty nice. Up until a month or two ago you could take an all day ferry ride from Prince Rupert to the North end of Vancouver Island. It left early in the monring & arrived around 10:00 PM. It was a really nice ship or so I thought until it SUNK recently, (yes sunk). I believe there were about 100 people on board, (which was much less than capacity). All but 2 made it off & the 2 are presumed to have gone down with the ship.

I'm not sure what will be running on that route now, but if you intend to pursue that route you should book in advance... www.bcferries.bc.ca If you don't get on a ferry it's a "dead end" though & you must back track. I'd estimate about 2 or 3 hours from Kitwanga to PR.

If you do manage to catch a ferry, it's a nice ride down the Island, with a few options to get off at the mid to bottom end.

Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas. Watch for wildlife in Northern BC, especially after dusk.

Redding, CA, right near where I live. If you are here a few days and want to do a ride, or want info on an interesting route from here up into Oregon get in touch.

Stay off the interstates. There is nothing intersting to see.

If it were me I'd head out to the coast from Redding. Hwy 101 in Northern California is quite nice. Stop at Rolf's on the North side of Orick for a meal, (It's a motel with a great Restaraunt attached to it).
Big snip
Lots of great info there Chindit but... I've only got 2 days to get to Hyder so the Coast highway is out, I'll be back there for a ride in Sept. It looks like 97 won't be perfect but better than I-5 besides I know a nice little brew pub in Osoyoss :D

Yes, do not go North on Highway 37 past Meziadin Jct. At least don't got to Bell ll. There is a stretch of highway after Meziadin that I really like but you might as well turn around after the first river - mix of chipseal and gravel from there onwards. I have seen all manner of motorhome drivers and bike riders wishing that they had never been born, up to their eyes in mud and flies with no spare tires near Iskut or Dease... What a friggin' mess. Seems like they never did their homework or took their chances. :russian_roulette: I used to work those roads from Terrace and I know whereof I speak. The run from Kitwanga to Prince Rupert through Terrace alongside the Skeena River is beautiful and well worth it my opinion. If I recall correctly, it's about sixty miles from Kitwanga to terrace and ninety from Terrace to Rupert. I used to take the Queen of the North (sunk) to the Queen Charlote Islands as well as down the Inside Passage to Vancouver Island. If they have a replacement running the Passage, that would be the way to go so that you avoid a back-track.

I miss that country.

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of great info there Chindit but... I've only got 2 days to get to Hyder

I'm assuming (apologies if I'm wrong on this) that you've done some LDR ing.

The route up 97 would probably make the best uninterrupted time (except through Bend/ Madras area) and that is some 2100+ miles w/o side excursions. Good luck and fair weather to ya! :)

p.s. Just looked at B.C. ferries yesterday and they are running out of Prince Rupert

Lots of great info there Chindit but... I've only got 2 days to get to Hyder

I'm assuming (apologies if I'm wrong on this) that you've done some LDR ing.

The route up 97 would probably make the best uninterrupted time (except through Bend/ Madras area) and that is some 2100+ miles w/o side excursions. Good luck and fair weather to ya! :)

p.s. Just looked at B.C. ferries yesterday and they are running out of Prince Rupert

Yeah, I've pick up a couple of IBA certificates over the years.

All of my calculations only come up with 1600-1700 miles :blink:

All of my calculations only come up with 1600-1700 miles :blink:

yes sir...., I replotted using Hwy 97 all the way through and got 1,700 mi..

(must've missed a turn in there somewhere) :dribble:

incidently, Wa. hot spots: anywhere around Ellensburg (Wa. State Patrol Academy)

Blewitt Pass is sweet but usually see "WASP's" a couple of times

almost always see "WASP's" north of Wenatchee for several miles

97 from Bend through Madras can be tediuos at the wrong time of day (construction/ traffic)

enjoy, and my apologies for the misinformation... Roamer

No problem and thanks for the enforcement tips. Now I understand why Ellensburg is a well know speed trap <_<

I see on the map there is an "old" Blewett Pass and a "new" Blewett Pass. Am I correct to assume that the "old" pass is the fun pass. Whats the speed limit up the old route?

Good choice, Rick. Just watch out for Washington State Patrol up through 97. They love to write tickets. From Osoyoos, check out the route to Princeton, then to Merritt and Cache Creek. One of my favorite routes. See ya there.

Lisa Stevens

Rick,

I'll be at Hyderseek also, stayin at th King Edward, in Stewart. Hopefully we'll meet somewhere, i'll be on ah red 1200GS, & my friend JR will be on ah silver 1800 Wing. ron

P3180204.jpg

Good choice, Rick. Just watch out for Washington State Patrol up through 97. They love to write tickets. From Osoyoos, check out the route to Princeton, then to Merritt and Cache Creek. One of my favorite routes. See ya there.

Lisa Stevens
I promise, I will behave in Washington State. Wow lots of warnings about those WASPs. Two years ago I got stopped by one of WA States finest and I must say he was pretty nice. Got let off with a "be careful out there" for 12 over.

Iron Maiden huh, did one of your massage clients give you that name :D

Rick,I'll be at Hyderseek also, stayin at th King Edward, in Stewart. Hopefully we'll meet somewhere, i'll be on ah red 1200GS, & my friend JR will be on ah silver 1800 Wing. ron
Oh sure that'll be easy. There will only be about 13 or 14 1200GSs and about 25 silver GL18s, you'll be easy to spot :D

I'll be the one at the Sealaska with an Alaskan Amber in hand. I know, Iknow that won't narrow it down much :lol:

I'll be on the '06 FJR and keep an eye out for you.