Russell A$$ Couch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFJR1300

Reaction score
While everyone and their brother was occupied by the December group buy. I was able to purchase what appears to be an older Day Long seat on Ebay ($455 shipped, front and back redone in vinyl w/ backrest and pouch). Well after returning from a Texas business trip it was already at the house. I put in on this morning. It looks rather gaudy, but it sure feels good. I'm not an advocate of A$$ lovin' :nono: , but in this case it's money well spent! :yahoo:

I keep looking at them (Russell) hoping the looks will grow on me but I still can't get past it. Sorry, they just don't "look right".

I'll be enjoying the ride even more once mine arrives. Not much for the show & shine . . . .Can't see it if I'm using it !

Last edited by a moderator:
i learned long ago that, if the wheels aren't turning, i ain't seeing what my ass is sitting on. anything else is driveway jewelry.

Yeah, and you'll look so very stylish standing on your pegs @ freeway speeds to attmpt getting circulation to you "hinder parts" and relieve the "butt burn".

I love hearing the complaints after the second or third 250 mile run, "Don't you ever stop to stretch? My butt hurts!"

AAaannnndddd, a favorite past time is watching the "Gas Stop Dance", it goes like this: First you park your bike, then you get off, then you walk around rubbing your derriere and moaning.

OTH, you might not need the comfort of an "all day" saddle. Some people do just fine with the OEM equipment, I happen to fall into the category of rider who needed some "help" with my aging joints and muscles. Like Bounce, I don't participate in the "Show & Shine" events. I like riding. Shall we stop for lunch in say, 250 miles, refill the gas tanks and head home?

I keep looking at them (Russell) hoping the looks will grow on me but I still can't get past it. Sorry, they just don't "look right".
I have to agree with Keyser. That fat ugly Russell A$$ couch spoils the looks of the FJR. One of the reasons why I bought my FJR, and I believe most owners here will agree, is that it looks better than the other sport touring bikes.

I have to agree with Keyser. That fat ugly Russell A$$ couch spoils the looks of the FJR. One of the reasons why I bought my FJR, and I believe most owners here will agree, is that it looks better than the other sport touring bikes.
I love the looks of my FJR, sleek lines and all...but my Russell seat purchase last winter was the best farkle for me. I bought my bike to tour all day. So now I love riding all day - days/weeks on end without the previous discomfort.

While everyone and their brother was occupied by the December group buy. I was able to purchase what appears to be an older Day Long seat on Ebay ($455 shipped, front and back redone in vinyl w/ backrest and pouch).
Brilliant man, brilliant!!

(sneaky bastard! ;) )

Uh, has anyone thought to tell the folks at Russell how you really want your seat to look? Duh, tell them what you want, its your money. Why wouldn't they work with you? PM. <>< :rolleyes:

Uh, has anyone thought to tell the folks at Russell how you really want your seat to look? Duh, tell them what you want, its your money. Why wouldn't they work with you? PM. <>< :rolleyes:

I agree, but what I think makes the Russell so fugly are the "wings." Then again it's those wings that make it work so well.

Remove the wings and the thing probably wouldn't work well at all.

I rode to Ct from FL two weeks ago and still have sore spots on my butt from the stock seat. 3 asprin every 3 hours didn't help. I have to do something, but I don't think it will be a Russell. I think I'll try to build my own seat first. What's the worst that can happen, it'll be uncomfortable, no loss there.

I agree, but what I think makes the Russell so fugly are the "wings." Then again it's those wings that make it work so well.

Remove the wings and the thing probably wouldn't work well at all.

I rode to Ct from FL two weeks ago and still have sore spots on my butt from the stock seat. 3 asprin every 3 hours didn't help. I have to do something, but I don't think it will be a Russell. I think I'll try to build my own seat first. What's the worst that can happen, it'll be uncomfortable, no loss there.
Well I hear ya, but one could have those fug ugly wings smoothed out some, rounded off, or for that matter square them off to look like the stock seat but wider. Make it look like the new Yamaha aftermarket seat, whatever. You put their foam and materials in your new seat and guaranteed to have a good platform. Basiclly I took the stock seat put in new foams, made it wider and covered it with marine grade vinyl and cording. Looks similar to stock but waaaaaaaaay different ride. The options are unlimited. PM. <>< :D

You put their foam and materials in your new seat and guaranteed to have a good platform.
Bill Mayer (designer of the original saddle that became the Russell Day-Long) didn't rely on simply different foams. After his non-compete was over and he went back into the saddle-making business his new design did a lot of amazing things with foams and layers. Even he was said to have said the he couldn't accomplish the same things the Day-Long did with just different foams. It's the springs and other bits that make the original Russell a day-long design.

If you want a seat that looks good but is more comfortable than stock get a Sargent. I had one and liked it until I rode a friends FJR with a Russell I then sold my Sargent and am waiting for my Russell!

Steve

.......I then sold my Sargent and am waiting for my Russell!
Steve
heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh

When I was shopping for a seat I read what Bounce, Warchild and others had to say, then made an appointment and rode to Russell. 200+ miles home and my residual butt-burn from the trip North was healing.

I don't care what my eyes think, my butt is happy! :yahoo:

You can't see the seat when you are riding. The folks on the stock seats can't see it either as you continue to ride on while they stop with a case of monkey butt. But, then I've always prefered functional over pretty.

jim