Russell Day Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
Am considering a Russell Daylong and not sure if I should order the halfmoon or rectangle shape. I've seen the rectangle but not halfmoon, anybody have photos they can post? I like the halfmoon and less stiching but not sure about looks.

Vinyl or leather?????

Does everybody order black?

So many choices, I usually just order a Sargent and don't worry/think about shapes and colors.

Thanks,

Steve

I can't down there to have the seat fitted....How bad would it be to buy a seat from them that is not fitted?

I can't down there to have the seat fitted....How bad would it be to buy a seat from them that is not fitted?
Let me first qualify my answer. I'm still riding on the stock seat.

What I am about to share comes from researching the topic. If I had any money, I'd have a Russell.

You don't need to be fitted for a Russell. Go to their website, follow the directions exactly.

The seats are guarantied. You will love it. They require that you allow them to make two attempts at correcting any problems.

There are people riding around on second hand Russells (made for someone else) and they love 'em!

O.K. It's Friday and I'm counting on the Old Guys (BunchaPricks) to correct any inaccuracies in my statements. Right now I've got to get to an after work thing.

yeeha!

Russell received my stock seat and pictures/description of what I wanted done on Sept 27. Tonight my new seat is in the garage on the bike.

Now my dilemma is which do I do? 500 to 1000 miles in short rides or all at once? Of course I have been wanting to do that in state 1k thing.............. Choices, choices.

Initially, there were HUGE comfort issues with the half-moon style when Russell first introduced it. Recent reports say they've got those fixed, but I've had nothing but a Russell under my butt for a quarter-million miles and all have used the rectangle pattern. I agree with Warchild that the small squares offer better ventilation, especially in the heat. So did the pimpish velour seating surface back when Russell offered it.

For my money, go with the rectangles or the small squares. Russel has been producing these forever, and they work. The purpose of the half-moon design was to cut sewing costs and while they may have made it better, I can't say if they've made it "as good as."

Well Comfort is what it is about..

HOWEVER!

Having said that... I hope the half moon is comfortable Because it is by far the nicest looking seat they sell.

The larger rectangle is next (for looks) in my book. The small triangles, diamonds and squares look too 1970's and

1980's for me...

But to each his/her own on style or era.

Just my .02

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me first qualify my answer. I'm still riding on the stock seat.

What I am about to share comes from researching the topic. If I had any money, I'd have a Russell.

You don't need to be fitted for a Russell. Go to their website, follow the directions exactly.

The seats are guarantied. You will love it. They require that you allow them to make two attempts at correcting any problems.

There are people riding around on second hand Russells (made for someone else) and they love 'em!

O.K. It's Friday and I'm counting on the Old Guys (BunchaPricks) to correct any inaccuracies in my statements. Right now I've got to get to an after work thing.

yeeha!
How correct you are......... I purchased a used bike with a used Russel seat and it MAKES the bike. I rode the other night with the stock seat, and it sucked. Had the Russel in for repair. Torn due to wreck. I have an October 30 production date for the FJR.

Nothing but Russels for me...... I am sold.