Russell driver backrest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottyfizz

Reaction score
Anyone have one or any experience with one? I'm going to get a Russell for sure. Just wondering if I should go all the way and get the backrest too. I just brought the bike home from storage and I was trying to figure out if I would ever need it. Couldn't really tell from the short trip I took.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well heck, if somebody else is paying for it you'd best be all over it. If you don't have it you can't use it, now can you? Personally, I like mine. And the pouch (extra feature) on the back of it makes a nice place to stash the bike cover and have handy. It (the cover) can't go there if my SO is along but other times it's great. And if you have both the front and back seats done at Russell it's cheaper to do the backrest during the original build rather than having it modified for it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the drivers backrest on my Russell seat.

Its absolutely excellent workmanship and fits the bike rather well..

It is adjustable up/down and somewhat fore and aft by use of a "v-wedge" that secures with the up/down adjustment.

I keep it off while commuting during the week, but put it on for any extended ride. It slips in and out of a mount on the forward side of the pillion seat. No seats have to be removed to do this.

Sorry but I have no pictures available, but if you're really interested I could email some.

Kevin

Hey Scotty,

I bought a backrest for my Russell seat, but hardly use it. I found the seat was more comfortable with it removed as it seemed to push me forward just a little and there is no way to secure the backrest i.e. someone could walk away with it.

Here are some pictures

https://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s251/RI.../NEWSADDLE1.jpg

https://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s251/RI.../NEWSADDLE2.jpg

NEWSADDLE3.jpg

Bottom line for me is a great seat but I didn't need the backrest

I agree completely with Riclet - so much so that my backrest w/pouch, done in vinyl , is for sale. PM me for pictures.

Jed

had one on the wing and loved it. tried different things with the fjr and found that the riding position is far enough forward my upper body that i couldn't lean back into one even if it was there. adjusting something forward enough to touch my back would confine me too much into one spot on the saddle.

Thanks for all the opinions. I ordered the Russell with the backrest. And I'm getting Wild Bill highway pegs.. My wife is tired of my angst. I say her ass will thank me! :yahoo:

Thanks for all the opinions. I ordered the Russell with the backrest. And I'm getting Wild Bill highway pegs.. My wife is tired of my angst. I say her ass will thank me! :yahoo:
I just completed a SaddleSore 1000 with the backrest....found it to be very useful for my back! I love it. You made a great choice.

Marc

Latest posts