Russell seat Velour vs Leather.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangers4094

Reaction score
Hi yall.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the russell seat velour or the leather. By the looks of them the velour looks much more comfortable than the leather but more maintanence? idk. just wanna hear what you guys think.

josh

The velour looks like something from the 70's.

Next you'll be putting shag carpeting on it. :dance:

The leather is supremely comfortable and looks completely groovy, man. :drag:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Fred, Although if you could get them to make one like a water bed and have it have magic fingers then we could go back to the sixty's and seventy's. :evilsmiley03:

Go with the leather. Just mink oil it a few times a year and you are golden. Leather will not get too hot or cold. I would guess the velour would soak up water and fade in the sun.

sounds like the leather is going to win.

cool. now any idea when that group buy is happening.

Vinyl is a bit more carefree. No worries about rain or covering it at night. And it will stay looking "brand new" for longer.

The leather will be just a bit more comfortable, especially in very hot weather, and takes on a "patina" that many folks appreciate.

I'm very glad I paid the small amount extra for black leather.

I had a velour Russell on the Wing. As I've reported before it was a Russell and the best of several seats I tried. I have leather on the FJR. Despite there being less real estate to work with on the FJR it's a more comfortable Russell than the velour one was.

Skip the mink oil (it clogs the pours of the leather). Go with Lexol instead.

https://www.animalnetwork.com/mcn/model_eva...Part1_Jan04.pdf

https://www.animalnetwork.com/mcn/model_eva...Part2_Jan04.pdf

https://www.animalnetwork.com/mcn/model_eva...Part3_Jan04.pdf

https://www.animalnetwork.com/mcn/model_eva...Part4_Jan04.pdf

<!--quoteo(post=790084:date=Sep 18 2010, 11:05 PM:name=Rangers4094)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rangers4094 @ Sep 18 2010, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=790084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sounds like the leather is going to win.

cool. now any idea when that group buy is happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 for Leather.

Group buy is oct 1 thru oct 29 I think. I assume you registered??

Actually no im not. Im new to all this and not really sure what to do. How do I register and where am I registering and then what do I have to do?

Thanks.

FJR Josh

<!--quoteo(post=790084:date=Sep 18 2010, 11:05 PM:name=Rangers4094)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rangers4094 @ Sep 18 2010, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=790084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sounds like the leather is going to win.

cool. now any idea when that group buy is happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 for Leather.

Group buy is oct 1 thru oct 29 I think. I assume you registered??

Actually no im not. Im new to all this and not really sure what to do. How do I register and where am I registering and then what do I have to do?

Thanks.

FJR Josh
Get hold of Paul over on THIS THREAD, and see if he can get you added to the list. He's been real busy so be patient.

Oh ya... +1 on the leather and the Lexol

I bought a Russell off a fella from Florida on this forum.

It has the velour cover.

I wasn't sure if I was gonna like it or not, but I do - especially when the missus is riding with me. The velour helps to keep her from sliding into me during braking, which was a problem we had when I was running TWN's Mayer, which had a rather slippery leather cover. Plus, in the hot sun - think of the bike sitting in the sun all day while you're at work - hopping on it doesn't bring any "HOT Hot hot..." moments at all, and it's not too cold in the colder months.

Yes, when it rains, the velour will absorb water, but it still stays in the cover, not into the foam, unless some seeps in through the stitching holes. So, either cover it when it rains (which is what I do, as long as I remember to toss the cover in the tank bag), or wear waterproof britches to avoid a case of the wet-ass.

Oh - and if you like to slide your rear-end around in the twisties, the velour isn't the best, due to it's additional grippyness over leather / vinyl.

Carry on.

Leather is slick and I'd go a different direction if I had it to do again. I'd give velour a shot before I went with vinyl, though.

Of course, if you get velour you should probably consider painting your bike avocado or harvest gold.

:D

Rancho

Leather is slick and I'd go a different direction if I had it to do again. I'd give velour a shot before I went with vinyl, though.

Of course, if you get velour you should probably consider painting your bike avocado or harvest gold.

:D

Rancho
Try treating your leather seat with regular doses of Lexol. It makes it a lot less slick, helps the water resistance, and is actually good for the leather.