Russell Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Folks- I know that Russells are great seats for the long haul. But what is in that very wide seat that makes it a good seat? I've heard its some spring structure thing? Anybody seen what's inside?

I am planning on buying a custom seat and feel I will need to have it modified to remove material directly below my tailbone (long history of tailbone issues). But- I think for the Russell, since its not all foam, it would be more difficult to do this.

Thanks

Scott

Folks- I know that Russells are great seats for the long haul. But what is in that very wide seat that makes it a good seat? I've heard its some spring structure thing? Anybody seen what's inside?
I am planning on buying a custom seat and feel I will need to have it modified to remove material directly below my tailbone (long history of tailbone issues). But- I think for the Russell, since its not all foam, it would be more difficult to do this.

Thanks

Scott
This page on their website may explain it a little better: https://day-long.com/new_pages/suspend_seats.html

You might want to just call RCP and explain the situation, get an expert opinion. I've heard more than one story (including my fathers) about needing a non-standard build and they gave honest advice, even if it meant that they didnt build the seat. They may be able to make the seat, or offer alternate remedy. the big 3 (RCP, Rick Mayer, Bill mayer) enjoy an excellent reputation built on satisfied customers, they aren't going to just wrap some leather around foam and ship it back.