Russell seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhkfjr

Reaction score
Just got my new Russell seat. Missed the group buy but I really wanted one so I got a rider seat, large rectangles,

leather seating surface. Took it out for a short ride (200mi) to break it in but no luck in the comfort department.Seat immediately pushes me forward into the tank, I can't find any "pocket" and I've got no support under my thighs with the wings. I can't even get comfortable on it sitting in the garage. I also seem to be sitting on the stitched seam that runs across the seat surface of the front rectangle.

I've since talked with Russell, they are very nice, I,ve sent the seat back after talking to the seat builder himself and hopefully we can get this re-worked. We were both very surprised at the poor fitment issues since they've done so many of these. I mean its not even close. This thread isn't to rant or find fault with anyone but with over 100 seats on the group buy this year, isn't anyone else having these issues or am I the only one.

This thread isn't to rant or find fault with anyone but with over 100 seats on the group buy this year, isn't anyone else having these issues or am I the only one.
It's par for the course and happens often. That's why they talk about it on their website.

Sent my Rick Mayer back twice.

Guess I got lucky, it did have some pressure points on my thighs from the wings initially which resolved by about 800 miles. Now it fits like it was made just for me ;)

At least you can get your money back if a couple of adjustments don't fix it. Good luck.

Mine didn't fit right the first attempt either. Sent it back and got adjustments done. Now it's a good fit and I like so much better than before. I also had the pillion done for my girlfriend and it was perfect the first time.

I've had mine 2+ years now.

Although I do slowly slide forward, I requested a more forward position; so I can't complain. Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with the overall comfort for LD rides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to send mine back twice. I have tried Russell seats on other bikes and they felt "right" as soon as I sit down. Mine is not like that. Even now, after thousands of miles, it does not feel right at the very start of the ride. However the longer the ride the better the seat feels.

I only really appreciate how good the Russell seat is when I try to ride more than 50 miles on other saddles such as Sargent and Corbin.

Anytime you don't do a ride in appointment you probably run the risk of wanting something changed. Being height challenged at 5'5" I was a little tempted to lower my bike. Since then I've learned to just be careful in parking lot maneuvers and the seat is staying just the way it is. I love it! And mine wasn't a ride in so I feel they did a great job. It takes some time to get used to it no matter what you buy.

Anytime you don't do a ride in appointment you probably run the risk of wanting something changed. Being height challenged at 5'5" I was a little tempted to lower my bike. Since then I've learned to just be careful in parking lot maneuvers and the seat is staying just the way it is. I love it! And mine wasn't a ride in so I feel they did a great job. It takes some time to get used to it no matter what you buy.
I got in on the group buy, and am pleased with the result. The seat arrived in late November. With the winter we're having, I can't have more than a couple hundred miles on the seat, but so far no complaints. It's interesting, I no longer notice the seat as uncomfortable, so it must be reasonably right. I still shift around. The pocket is a little further back which makes me want to sit towards the back of the seat. But the stretch to the bars isn't comfortable from there, so I routinely ride sitting forward on the seat. Still, it's much more comfortable than the stocker. Can't wait to get a couple thousand miles on the seat.

Just got my new Russell seat. Missed the group buy but I really wanted one so I got a rider seat, large rectangles,

leather seating surface. Took it out for a short ride (200mi) to break it in but no luck in the comfort department.Seat immediately pushes me forward into the tank, I can't find any "pocket" and I've got no support under my thighs with the wings. I can't even get comfortable on it sitting in the garage. I also seem to be sitting on the stitched seam that runs across the seat surface of the front rectangle.

I've since talked with Russell, they are very nice, I,ve sent the seat back after talking to the seat builder himself and hopefully we can get this re-worked. We were both very surprised at the poor fitment issues since they've done so many of these. I mean its not even close. This thread isn't to rant or find fault with anyone but with over 100 seats on the group buy this year, isn't anyone else having these issues or am I the only one.

Fitment issues aside, as far as comfort goes...that comes after the 1000 mile breakin. By that time your butt has pushed down the pressure points on the seat to match the surrounding foam. I was happy with it, comfort-wise after 1000 miles. One of the best farkles on the bike...and one I really appreciate on an extended multi-day trip.

This is disappointing news! I hesitated too long and did not get in on the group buy, but still want to upgrade to a Russel Day Long, or so I thought. It escapes me that a quality company that does the volume that they do miss so often! I want to do mine, however I don't want to go thru the hassles of shipping the seat back for adjustments when with pictures and specs it isn't right when completed the first time. Sorry for the tirade, I feel for you. Please advise how the "adjustment" process works out. Thanks

There is a Russell seat group buy several times a year. You just have to visit multi motorcycle forums.

Best time is around Christmas.

As for my Russell seat I just love it. Really don't know how a surived the stock seat as long as I did. Now if I could ever get to go anywhere..... ;)

I got in on the Group Buy and now have nearly 2000 miles on mine!

All I can say is INCREDIBLE!

It's been good since the first "sit" on it.

I like it so much that I grab my new Zebra striped Snuggy and sleep on the FJR. :yahoo:

I found that when I adjusted the seat into the low position that it changed the angle very slightly such that I wasn't sliding forward. I didn't believe it until I put a level on it.

I received my Russell last July and took it on its maiden voyage 1500 miles to visit my daughter in Oregon. That seat is fantastic. Somewhere along the ride it became very well broken in and makes a 700-800 mile ride seem like nothing. And that is a lot for me. My FJR is now more than ever more comfortable than my Wing ever was. I ordered the extra springs for the over 250 crowd. It seemed hard at first, but the support is perfect and the wings support my thighs.

A great seat and a great windshield turns a great bike into the greatest bike. Money so well spent.

i've had 2 russells on 2 bikes. both were NOT ride-ins and neither needed sending back. so, while it does happen, it's mostly a vocal minority that are heard from when such questions are asked.

@Full House - There are 19 replies to this thread, that's not a lot in either direction. :lol: Russell does a pretty good job on mail in seats, but sure, sometimes it needs some tweaking. Sometimes no amount of tweaking will do it for some butts. That's just the law of averages. Like Bounce, my mail in seat was great from the beginning. I now have about 120k on that same seat and it's still as comfortable as the first day I got it. I did take an extra pic of how my butt fit the stock seat from behind, (Warchild's suggestion). Some folks are more sensitive to some fitment issues too. I'm not that picky, but I don't think about the seat when riding, which tells me it's doing it's job.