Russell Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisW

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested to know what to expect from my new Russell seat as it breaks in.

I'm hoping it will soften up a bit. I'm getting some pressure on the back on my upper thigh that will probably become less bothersome if it does soften.

I'm surprised how high on the bike it makes me sit. Maybe that's just because I'm coming off a Corbin that makes you feel low "In" the bike.

How big a deal is it to let these things get wet? I've got the Velour insert so it is less likely the shed water than the vinal or leather.

Thanks.

the pressure you notice will go away to a degree and you get used to it. they do sit a bit higher but i found it took some bend out of my knee and that is good. the stiching is not waterproof so it will leak. they will make you a rain cover but i always carry a couple cheap trash bags and if it rains i just pull the seat and wrap it up and put it right back on. if it does get wet just stand it up and it will dry out with no damage. they are good about making changes but you should find that with a few miles it will be fine.

Yeah, give it 500-1K and see how it feels. Mine settled in super nice. Any spots you're still feeling after 1K likely aren't going to go away - you'll need to send it back for a tweak.

My Russell should be here next week. I have tryed stock, corbin, Rick Mayer(best so far), and now a russell. I hope the russell is the cats meow... :D

My Russell should be here next week. I have tryed stock, corbin, Rick Mayer(best so far), and now a russell. I hope the russell is the cats meow... :D
Christ, you've got more invested in seats than I do in all farkles combined! Means either I'm cheap or you really value your rear... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know why you went to a Russell after you bought the Rick Mayer? I still have the stock seat, but I have talked to Rick at the Honda Hoot and was thinking about his seat. He had one on a FJR there that I sat on.... it was very nice.

The Mayer is very good, I am looking for something I can sit on for those really long days. I have put around 700 miles on my new day-long. The only pain I am having is were the front edge of the seat meets my legs. I am hoping this goes away after a few more miles. I will be selling my Rick Mayer, but I need to send it back to him first. There is a small bubble on the cover, its where the cover and the thin foam under it has came unglued. Thanks Rad for reminding me of the cash I have spent :eek: . And it is real simple... If my butt's not happy, I'm not happy!! :lol: smitty

The Russell I had on my Triumph Tiger was putting pressure under my thigh and causing my legs to fall asleep. The Tiger had a very high seat height to begin, and the Russell was no good for this motorcycle. I went with a Sargent this time around for the FJR, and I'm thrilled so far.