Saddle Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keone

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was cleaning my bike today when I noticed that my replacement saddle bag is different.

I dropped my bike a few weeks ago, only damage was my ego, right bag and mirror. the replacement bag doesn't have a reflector mounted to the lid. my left bag (stock; and included with bike) does. I went thru my service manual and could not find anything on the bags. I also checked yamaha's parts page and sure enough, the saddle bag is shown there WITHOUT a reflector mounted on the lid. Looking at it on my bike, I kinda like it better without the reflector.

Anyone know how to remove the reflector from my left bag without damaging it...

Thanks

Keone

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I think there's a thread available that already covers this deflecterotomy process. In any case, I just removed a couple by using a heat gun - you need to gradually heat the reflector and surrounding bag area plastic up nice and warm. Keep the gun moving as you don't want to blister the paint. When the red plastic reflector is just a bit too hot to the touch, put a pair of gloves on and try and peel the reflectors off. They use a thick patch of 2-sided tape to hold them on....

When almost new my FJR experienced a 0 mph tip-over :angry: (engine off). The touch-down side hit on the bar end, TOG and the red reflector on the saddle bag. Zero damage. Dorky reflectors stay on my bike.

Hi Guys,I was cleaning my bike today when I noticed that my replacement saddle bag is different.

Looking at it on my bike, I kinda like it better without the reflector.

Thanks

Keone
I also like the looks better without the reflectors. I just removed mine yesterday and it is soooo easy. All I did was grab onto the reflector with a pair of channel-loks, put a little downward tension on the reflector as if you were going to peel it off, not a lot of tension just a little. I then started heating the top of the reflector with a hair dryer. The reflector just starts peeling off as it heats up. It comes off easy and doesn't take very much heat or pulling. When done there are no marks or scratches. It looks as if the reflector was never there.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I think there's a thread available that already covers this deflecterotomy process. In any case, I just removed a couple by using a heat gun - you need to gradually heat the reflector and surrounding bag area plastic up nice and warm. Keep the gun moving as you don't want to blister the paint. When the red plastic reflector is just a bit too hot to the touch, put a pair of gloves on and try and peel the reflectors off. They use a thick patch of 2-sided tape to hold them on....
I believe it's called a reflectorectomy...