Saddlebag caps/plugs/cover thingies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

joelmoto

<_< Went for a W/E day ride on my new o6 with a few friends and decided to leave the saddlebags at home.

In the morning I was runnig late and got in a hurry to put in the caps or plugs to cover the exposed openings where the saddlebag hooks normally go.

One of the 4 caps wouldnt fit. After much pushing and struggle I gave up and decided to mess with it later.

The next day I pulled out my dial calipers to find out if dimensionally there was a problem.

And dimensionally they were different...very little.

To make a short story long..... each one is marked on the back!! RR or LR....dah!!

There ya go ...hope this will save some of you a little time and frusration.

Come on, slappy....close this thread.....before we get started......

Hey Gumba...if this is of no interest or help to you...why waste yout time responding??

<_< Went for a W/E day ride on my new o6 with a few friends and decided to leave the saddlebags at home.In the morning I was runnig late and got in a hurry to put in the caps or plugs to cover the exposed openings where the saddlebag hooks normally go.

One of the 4 caps wouldnt fit. After much pushing and struggle I gave up and decided to mess with it later.

The next day I pulled out my dial calipers to find out if dimensionally there was a problem.

And dimensionally they were different...very little.

To make a short story long..... each one is marked on the back!! RR or LR....dah!!

There ya go ...hope this will save some of you a little time and frusration.

Hehehe... I found that out the hard way too :)

Wow, I forgot all about those little caps...wonder where mine are? Hmmm.

I've never used them. Most of the time I'm bagged and those rare occasions that I'm not are just short trips. And speaking of bags, don't forget to check the loctite on those little screws that hold the lock in place...or you'll be sorry.

And speaking of bags, don't forget to check the loctite on those little screws that hold the lock in place...or you'll be sorry.
I asked my dealer to loctite those screws when he put the 06 together and he told me that loctite was recomended by the dealers build up manual that comes with the bike. I was impressed they even read the book!

Joelmoto - thanks for the post. I've had Maxine for 11 months and 28 days now and never knew they were specific to a particular hole! Probably explains why I kinda bent one of the prongs and why I have 2 extra covers in my FJR "stuff" bag. I usually ride with sidebags so haven't used the covers for a long time, but I'm glad I know where to stick 'em now!

<_< To make a short story long..... each one is marked on the back!! RR or LR....dah!!
Don't you mean RR and FR? That's what the 03's thru 05's were marked. Are the 06's different? Not that it really matters. You are absolutely correct about there being front and rear specific covers. Hell, we may have found yet another difference between the old and new versions of our beloved FJR's!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ease up there, joal....it's what I call "distant early warning"....to those about to get smacked with a dose of ridicule/humour....all in pun's sake, of course. Hm...you just gave me an idea.....tanks.

odot,

You're forgiven...thanks for the response.

Also for the guy who wants to know how to store/protect these little critters.

I leave them out of the bike and wrapped in clear plastic in a sandwich zip lock on my work bench.

The only time I need them is if I leave the bags at home.

hope this helps!!!

My mother took some felt and made a little case with pockets for each plug. Rolls up nice with a little tie and keep them under the seat. Moms are great!

RTSR1/FJR, I have an extra set somewhere for an 04. The original ones were left in the side case when I bought it and go all scratched up on my 350 mile ride home. Dealer sent me a new set. Let me know if you are interested.

Steve

My mother took some felt and made a little case with pockets for each plug. Rolls up nice with a little tie and keep them under the seat. Moms are great!Steve
I really don't know what to say :blink: Really.

3june_cleaver2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My mother took some felt and made a little case with pockets for each plug. Rolls up nice with a little tie and keep them under the seat. Moms are great!
RTSR1/FJR, I have an extra set somewhere for an 04. The original ones were left in the side case when I bought it and go all scratched up on my 350 mile ride home. Dealer sent me a new set. Let me know if you are interested.

Steve

Does she cut your meat for you too?

Sorry I just had to comment!!! I am sure they are nice and pretty in that little felt bag.