Saddlebags and YES for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hola everyone! I just got the 08 AE but without bags....what would be the best place and at around what price to buy the saddlebags? Also, can I buy the YES warranty from anyone or does it have to be my stealer? They actually told me they don't sell it.... :glare:

Regards to all,

Hola everyone! I just got the 08 AE but without bags....what would be the best place and at around what price to buy the saddlebags? Also, can I buy the YES warranty from anyone or does it have to be my stealer? They actually told me they don't sell it.... :glare:
Regards to all,
I thought ALL FJR's regardless of where they are from have panniers fitted standard , so it looks like someone stole yours.

A mate in Australia smashed a pannier in a prang and it cost AU$1300 for ONE pannier. which is about the right price here cos I paid around $1300 for my top box.

Last responder is 'right' - the side cases come with the bike - Puerto Rico should be serviced by Yamaha USA, so the bike would be USA-equipped. Did you buy your machine used?

New bags can be had from the dealer, but yours seems to be completely brain-dead. The online price for each is on the order of $503 each pus shipping from Ron Ayers.

The YES is purchased from D&H for $389

You'll find the following link to be of use in the future: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660

Last edited by a moderator:
Last responder is 'right' - the side cases come with the bike - Puerto Rico should be serviced by Yamaha USA, so the bike would be USA-equipped. Did you buy your machine used?
New bags can be had from the dealer, but yours seems to be completely brain-dead. The online price for each is on the order of $503 each pus shipping from Ron Ayers.

The YES is purchased from D&H for $389

You'll find the following link to be of use in the future: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660
Would the YES be good in PR????

PR,

The side bags did come with the bike. The previous owner must have kept them.

I guess that explains the killer price you paid for it. But, bags or no bags, you have a smokin' bike!!

If you have a Yamaha Licensed Dealer in Puerto Rico, I would assume they would have to sell Y.E.S.

Although god only knows what $$$ they want for it.

I've been hearing so much about the price for Y.E.S. at D&H on this site. Give them a try!

I'd call Yamaha and the Dealer in P.R. to make sure it would be honored first, just in case.

If they honor it, GET IT!!! All sorts of peace of mind. Worth every penny!!

Good Luck!

Hola everyone! I just got the 08 AE but without bags....
Did you buy it used? Regarrdless, some has stolen your bags. The bike should have come with a set.

Also, can I buy the YES warranty from anyone or does it have to be my stealer?
Yes, you can buy it from anyone.

They actually told me they don't sell it.... :glare:
Umm...I wouldn't go back to that dealer for *anything*....

The bike was actually sold new without the panniers :angry2: I remember having looked at it when new and it did not have them. I'm not too sure about the dealer accepting the YES warranty...I'll call.

Well...she's home tonight and I can't wait to ride her :rolleyes: More on the experience later :yahoo: Meanwhile, I'll keep researching for prices on the panniers.

Later...

You're not listening. Don't pay for anything. Go back to the dealer and tell them you want your panniers. If they don't give them to you call Cypress and tell them whats going on. They should come down hard on dealers like this.

You're not listening. Don't pay for anything. Go back to the dealer and tell them you want your panniers. If they don't give them to you call Cypress and tell them whats going on. They should come down hard on dealers like this.
Puerto RIco's bikes are not imported by Yamaha USA nor are the bikes in Hawaii. They had arrangements with distributors that date back to 1960 and their bikes come from a different distributor. I'm not sure about the Y.E.S., but I bet it not's good in PR either. The bikes in Europe do not come with the bags and I bet the ones in PR are the same.

Tony

IIRC (though my aged brain has been known to have memory cells go on strike or take a vacation at the most inopportune times).....

In North America (USA and Canada) the FJR comes with panniers mounted. In Europe, they are an accessory. There is no telling how the FJR is imported into PR. Since it is an American territory, it might be serviced by Yamaha USA in Cypress, CA. IF that is the case, the dealer messed up by mot including the panniers when it was first delivered. Some bikes were shipped and the panniers came after as a separate shipment, not with the bike as originally crated. Nevertheless, they were sent for each bike.

All of the above is moot if that is not how the bike is sent by whatever Yamaha corporate structure is involved with the dealer in Puerto Rico.

It might be worth it to research and have some background information. It is possible the dealer did not know the above information, and if so, perhaps you will get a new set of panniers for free because of a mistake or misunderstanding. I'm certain the FJR is not a big seller from this dealer and incidental information that is common to we who are members of the FJR Forum is not always known by remote, small volume dealers.

A little information and some kind words could make an ally of this dealer in dealing with Yamaha Corporate.

If the dealer is serviced by Yamaha USA, then the panniers should have come for the bike (and so the original buyer was shorted and the problem has come to you for correction) AND the Y.E.S. should be in effect, so purchase it from D&H.

Puerto RIco's bikes are not imported by Yamaha USA nor are the bikes in Hawaii. They had arrangements with distributors that date back to 1960 and their bikes come from a different distributor. I'm not sure about the Y.E.S., but I bet it not's good in PR either. The bikes in Europe do not come with the bags and I bet the ones in PR are the same.

Tony
Bikes in Europe didn't used to come with bags, but they do NOW and have (I believe) since the release of Gen-II machines.

If the PR market is served by other than Yamaha-USA then YES won't work.

The local dealer still sounds like a loser.

Hey PR, Sorry to hear about your woes man. Ya still have a kiss-ass bike as I'm sure you're learning by now and thank you for sharing this story. When one of us is having too much suckage in a day its very refreshing to hear from someone who got screwed without the customary reach around still be positive ! Good on ya mang !!! Enjoy your ride and keep checking around the net for the bags....now go out and flog that puppy !

Blessings,

Bobby

Tony
Bikes in Europe didn't used to come with bags, but they do NOW and have (I believe) since the release of Gen-II machines.

If the PR market is served by other than Yamaha-USA then YES won't work.

The local dealer still sounds like a loser.
The dealers in Puerto Rico buy their bikes directly from Yamaha Japan. It depends on the deal they make with the factory as to whether the bags are included or not. As for the Y.E.S. if it is NOT in Yamaha USA's database then the warranty will not be honored and since Yamaha USA has no record of any bike going to Puerto Rico the Y.E.S. is NOT honored there.

Why does the dealer sound like a loser? I don't understand why everyone wants to throw the dealer under the bus without knowing the facts! If the bags are not part of the deal from Yamaha Japan, then why should the dealer throw them in?

I'm done..............

Tony

Why does the dealer sound like a loser? I don't understand why everyone wants to throw the dealer under the bus without knowing the facts! If the bags are not part of the deal from Yamaha Japan, then why should the dealer throw them in?
I'm done..............

Tony
Dealer ought to have been willing to sell the owner bags and a warranty, but apparently he did not.

Good customer service dictates that he ought to have suggested alternatives if YES wasn't available. Hence the assumption that the dealer was something of a loser.

I for one would like to see the owner hear from Yamaha whether he is entitled to bags or not. You may be right. Perhaps in PR they don't get bags, but that would make them the teeniest minority in the world.

Do 05 saddlebags fit the 08? I have an extra set that has the blue paint scratched up and would be perfect for a color change it they fit.

Do 05 saddlebags fit the 08? I have an extra set that has the blue paint scratched up and would be perfect for a color change it they fit.
They fit - and Garauld will repaint the lids as good as new for $75 a side.

He'll need locks, though, and the rubber bumpers for the Gen-IIs - in addition, there's the clear paint protectors (adhesive decals).

I'm done..............

Tony
Dealer ought to have been willing to sell the owner bags and a warranty, but apparently he did not.

Good customer service dictates that he ought to have suggested alternatives if YES wasn't available. Hence the assumption that the dealer was something of a loser.

I for one would like to see the owner hear from Yamaha whether he is entitled to bags or not. You may be right. Perhaps in PR they don't get bags, but that would make them the teeniest minority in the world.
MAYBE.....

1.) The dealer is willing, but at a profit.

2.) I'd imagine the next closest dealer is quite a boat ride away.

3.) I believe Tony is trying to give the "straight" information, as it exists. Set aside your preconceived ideas about how it "ought to be" and think about "how it is".....PR has its own deal with Yamaha Japan, not Yamaha USA or Yamaha Canada, who have a larger customer base to keep happy.

4.) It may well be that Yamaha Canada and Yamaha USA order the bikes WITH panniers and include them in the price per unit. Yamaha Japan may not do that (as evidenced by the history of FJRs that were sold worldwide without the factory panniers).

5.) The same situation exists with the Y.E.S. If it isn't underwritten and available in PR then the answer is....it ain't available and won't be honored by the dealer. Much like the Y.E.S. through Yamaha USA that may not be honored by the dealer network in Canada or Mexico.

6.) It seems to me that "En Dos Ruedas PR" is looking for the best deal he can find. I, for one, don't blame him and there have been alternatives posted in this thread to give him options. Those options may not be a good choice once he factors in shipping, etc. Only he will know once he does his homework.

7.) I am not of the mindset that the dealer is a mean, evil creature who has ripped of an unknowing customer. They made the deal that they made and the previous owner was satisfied.

8.) Two Corners (2 rotations) knew this when he bought the bike and is merely "shopping" Can we help him without "trashing" the dealer?

So I did the obvious. I decided to end the conjecture, spent 10 minutes on Google and found a Yamaha dealer in Puerto Rico (Motor Sport in Guaynabo) and they have a pretty extensive online presence.

Now, they have their own online parts fiche - interesting enough it includes the '08 (even Yamaha USA's site doesn't have the '08 yet) and the bags are there, not identified as an option.

I brought up my '06 in their fiche and there's no mention of saddlebags for that year at all in the fiche. It IS mentioned for the 05, 07 and 08 . . . the '07 data sheets and model information isn't available on their site, but it IS for the '08 and '09 and under 'standard features' for the '08 (there is no similar tab for the '09) it says:

"Subframe-fitted quick-release luggage mounts provide easy use of the standard accessory hard sidecases, which are conveniently matched to the ignition key."

Sounds like bags are included to me. They retail for $608 each at this dealer.

Now, I'm not saying anything one way or the other, but if they don't buy from Yamaha-Motors USA, they certainly buy the same colors - because there is only one color of each model available and it matches the US paint. No mention of the transponder key security system that everyone else gets either. The 2007 bike model number is the same as that of the US model as well. The online fiche is similar except that unlike the US version, it does not state that it is copyright Yamaha-Motor USA.

Hola everyone! This forum deffinitely rocks :clapping: I've been reading the manual and looking for stuff around the bike and when I took off the seats guess what I found.........three locks (as those you would mount on panniers) :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: I am going to go back and talk to the owner of the dealer...they are more a Harley Davidson dealer than anything else....but I'll give it a try. I will continue research as well with Yamaha USA and everything you guys have suggested. I'll be out of town this week to Ft. Walton Beach and will start looking for the the rubber bumpers for the Gen-IIs and see if I can then buy the 05 panniers you've suggested. Again, Gracias!!! for helping me out here....on a side note, while the panniers may be a distraction....THE FJR IS AWESOME BABY :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: panniers or not.

Regards to all,