Saddlebags waterproof?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-I wouldn't call it "water PROOF" as much as VERY water resistant. I pressure wash mine all the time and don't worry about getting anything inside wet. Just watch amd make sure the rubber seal on the "bike" side of the box is in good shape and doesn't have a leaf, strap, or other object in it that could affect the seal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have an '05 and don't recall if they are waterproof.
I've had pretty good luck with mine after being in a couple of significant downpours. I use the bags inside to hold my stuff, and I feel like it's unlikely that if a few drips of rain did get in that they'd be enough to soak the bags.

I wouldn't count on them staying dry while crossing a river underwater, but as far as things inside getting wet while being rained on, they are exceptionally good at that. Just make sure nothing is sitting within the mating edges... that can allow them to stay partially open and allow water in.

Ridden my '05 in the rain many times and never had a drop of water get in. It is easy to overstuff the bags. If you do that you may have them leak. I normally load the liners up about 90% of capacity and then I don't have to force the lid of the pannier to close.

Ridden my '05 in the rain many times and never had a drop of water get in. It is easy to overstuff the bags. If you do that you may have them leak. I normally load the liners up about 90% of capacity and then I don't have to force the lid of the pannier to close.
I have looked closely at the design of these bags (trying to figure out why my Givi bags stay dry with a single wall design, yet Yamaha thinks they need the double wall to keep stuff dry). It seems to me that the function of the double wall is to provide a rain gutter for any water that manages to seep past the first lip. After the first lip there is a valley, then a deeper second lip. I have a tendency to pack all bags to absolute limits (you should see my backpack for even just a 4-day trip!) and I have not had any leakage, even in heavy downpour and even with a slight gap showing in spots on the first lip, likely due to the second lip. It is my impression that if you have something blocking the inner lip from closing, you will not be able to get the latches shut, so you're probably pretty safe from a wet experience.

Have an '05 and don't recall if they are waterproof.

Just came back from Americade Week (Lake George, New York) & it rained Wednesday & Friday. On Wednesday we (an 04 ST1300, an 05 R1200 RT & my 06 FJR) were on a romp through Killington & the Green Mountains of Vermont when the monsoons hit. Rode over an hour at 75 mph & bags were bone dry when I got back to the cabin. Good thing too my digital camera was in the right pannier. :yahoo:

I just luv my bike. :D