Saddlemen Track-style seat - First and Last Impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoxr124

Reaction score
I know there are those out there on this forum that yearn for a better seat. And some of those wanted a review on the aforementioned seat. Not coming from a street bike background (this is my 1st one, motocross bikes is my background), I assumed that the OEM seat was okay for a sport-touring machine. I lived with the stock seat for about a 1 1/2 years. I just dealt with slight discomfort at the end of my rides. The Russell Day-long wasn't really an option for me as it raises the seat an additional 1". A 30" inseam makes this an expected challenge. So I decided to try this seat out. I've only had the saddle no more than a month. I've commuted several times and taken about a 5 hour ride on it. This review will be rather basic so if you have questions or I didn't cover something, you can PM me later.

FIT- 2 1/2 out of 5 stars

When I installed the front seat and before the rear seat was installed, I noticed that one of the seat posts that support the seat on the bike was about an inch short. So you could rock it diagonally front to back! So I thought odd but probably a non-issue when the rear seat was installed. So I put the rear on. The issue was still somewhat there. With rear installed, I saw about a 1/2" gap from the bottom of the seat to the tail of the bike of the passenger seat when looking at the seat from the rear. It wasn't flush the way OEM was. You could see the light colored seat pan! Then there's the front parts of the front seat that lay alongside of the bike. You know, the part of the seat near where your knees are closest to. They stuck out and definately were not flush with the bike.

FINISH- 4 out of 5 stars

The top cover material is nice and soft. The silver inlay in the middle of the seat matched the silver on the bike so it had a cool custom look to it. There was an imperfection on the front seat near the inlay. It looked like there was something with a point protruding from underneath the cover. I pushed on it and didn't feel like there was anything under it. But I thought, $440 and this is what they allow out of the factory?!

RIDE COMFORT- 2 out of 5 stars

The bucketing in the rear was cool if you are tall enough to put your butt back there. However, shorter guys like me don't really sit back there because it puts us more in the sport bike posture. The gel idea is a novel one but real world didn't help my ride comfort anymore. When my weight blew through the soft top cover and hit the gel, it felt like sitting on my 07 Yamaha YZ220 2-stroke motocross seat. No real comfy. I adjusted quite a bit on my rides.

OVERALL- 2 out of 5 stars

I wouldn't recommend this seat. There's a lot guys that swear by other seats mentioned in this forum that prolly are much better this this seat. I can at least say that I gave this one a fair shake. I don't much believe in break-ins. I got in my Duramax from the start and loved it. Yeah, I know that it's apples and oranges. But I hear that from the start the Day-Longs are good to go from the start.

Hope this helps those that are curious about this seat.

Sam

Thanks for this report. I've been "looking around" for an aftermarket seat.

Regards, Bob