SAET

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but why eat hamburger when you can have steak?

Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, or Russell. True made-to-order custom seats. The only way to go imho.

No, but why eat hamburger when you can have steak?
Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, or Russell. True made-to-order custom seats. The only way to go imho.
...because your HO might be a bit spendy for others... ;) ... IMHO

While I agree those options are excellent, the fact remains they are comparatively expensive.

Now, that said, getagrp1k - if you do some searching here (search function is located near the top of the page, or try google with "site:fjrforum.com comfort seat", you'll likely find that Scooter's advice is where you'll end up. Seat choices are HIGHLY personal and the single best bit of advice you'll probably get is to sling a leg over one and see if it feels good...

I got both my seats done by Russell on the group bu for under $500.00. Many of the other seats will run you in the neighborhood of $375-$400. If you're going to own the bike for more then a year or two why not spend the extra $100.00 and get a custom seat and not a compromised seat? That's what sold me!

Does anybody know who owns or has experience with the Yamaha comfort seat?
With some research, some patience and a willingness to experiment perhaps you can come up with an alternative if you are trying to save $$ or can't ride across the country.

I worked with an independent small upholstery shop here in KC and got great results. They used my stock seat and we worked back and forth to make adjustments. It was their first attempt at a sport touring seat for anything. Previously they have done seats for H-Ds and Guzzis. I am really pleased with the improvement and the cost.

Does anybody know who owns or has experience with the Yamaha comfort seat?
That's me. :) I have over 11K miles using this seat. For long distance it is better than the stock seat. It tends to be wider than stock and not as cushy. I bought mine from a forum member who hardly used it for half the going price. For what you get its not worth what Yamaha is charging and i am glad I got a good deal on mine. That being said, I have also added an Alaskan sheepskin pad and also a 1/2 dense foam from an exercise mat that I had hanging around and cut to fit the seat. I have been able to do a couple of 700 miles days with reasonable comfort. I like the Russel but I like to ride somewhat aggressively and I don't think that would be the right fit for me at this point. At least till I learn how to slow down a bit. ;)

Stock seat: good for the first 150 miles after that your done.

Comfort seat: You start to appreciate after the 150 mile point.

JMO

Dave

I had one and after one 90 mile ride sold it on this forum. I thought it was hard, slippery and not shaped right.

Much better than the stock seat.

Not even close to a custom seat.

I've got it loaned out right now, but when it gets back you're welcome to try it.

The Yamaha Comfort Seat is a bit wider, both for rider & passenger. However, I found it to be much harder than the stock seat. I never could get comfortable on it so I sold it here on the forum.