Safety Dance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
I visited the Johnson Leather booth at the recent Seattle IMC show and got pretty interested in their back guards. About a week later, one of the regulars on another motorcycle chat list described his crash and that his Dr. credited his back guard for saving his spine. Then I read the article about the Sport Bike writer who is languishing after his crash with paralysis after fracturing his vertebrae. I don't plan on going down (who does) but I checked the back armor in my FirstGear Denali and was pretty surprised how crappy it was. If I can spend $500 on a Russell seat just to make my ass comfy, I sure as hell can consider protecting something a bit more important like my spine and ribs. Got fitted for the back guard and the full chest protector:

bp1.jpg

The back protector is really comfy, surprisingly so. The armour is quite flexible and snug, and hugs your back. The bottom extends to your tailbone, and gives you a definite sense of protection for that area. $150. Joe Rocket makes one that is allegedly an OEM rebadged one for $25 less, but I am not sure the tailbone section extends down as far.

The chest protector comes in two types: a full chest/rib protector pictured below for $90 (I got this one), and a smaller chest only protector ($75).

ribcage%201.jpg

The smaller one is meant as a companion piece to the back protector, but both can fit the back protector. While the chest protector surrounds your entire rib cage, it does feel bulkier and is not quiet the lightweight fit that the back protector affords. With both on, I have a bit of trouble zipping up the denali jacket over both (nothing that losing 20 lbs wouldn't cure). With just the back protector, it feels very natural. TPro makes an insert to place inside a jacket in lieu of the full back protetor, but the dealer said the wearable one offers significantly better protection as it covers more area and snugs up close.

Sizing is odd, running smaller than you would think as it is measured for height and for chest. I am 5'11" and fit the medium back protector, but the large chest protector.

Anyone else regularly wear back armour? At $240 for the set, it is a bit pricey, but maybe a group buy could convince the distributor to offer a discount.

I have the T-Pro back protector and the shirt and pants underlayer.

T-Pro Website

Quite comfy, even in the summer.

It does take a bit of sizing guesswork, as they do run a bit, um, snug.

:unsure:

My job has a shower facility, so when I get to work, I just change there.

Enjoy!

I wish that was my gut; it was the stock pix that came from the TPro site.

Fear not, fat ones. The TPRO fits my 5'11" 220 lb frame just fine. Now, when I lose 30 lbs this new year, I may actually have to downsize the chest protector....

I have the T-Pro pants and they are great. Only drawback is that in really hot weather, they are just too warm.

I have been wearing a Dianese back protector since I started racing back in 94. They didn't have the chest protector part then. I have been condsidering an upgrade that I may do soon.

Me too I have been wearing TPro back protector whenever I ride. Recently, I added BMW's NP armour to my jacket's shoulder/elbow and my pants' knee amour ($15 a piece at the local dealer). BMW's NP back protector is 1 of the best but since I already got my TPro so I didn't get it. But at only $45 a piece I may just add it to my jacket. It's supposed to be even better than the TPro under test.

Some pics of the BMW armours: https://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA_produ...;bplo=&bphi

107690227.jpg

107690231.jpg

I have been wearing a Dianese back protector since I started racing back in 94. They didn't have the chest protector part then. I have been condsidering an upgrade that I may do soon.
I have looked at these and they seem like a cool add-on if you don't have armor. One question, some or most of the track day outfits require hard back protectors--would this qualify?