Salvage yard parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
While doing a HID install this last week, I had my left hand switchgear all apart to run the switch wiring. During the process, I made the mistake of taking the bottom plate of the AE hand shifter off and not noticing the springs inside. Whoops! Both dropped out, one was easy to find, the other is still somewhere in The Void (which might also include the carpets on the shop floor). I checked the Yamy parts catalog and the switch is apparently sold as an assembly. $$$$$$ The spring looks like I could probably use one from a ball point pen.

So now I'm looking for a slavage yard with a wrecked AE. If I can't get the springs, maybe at least get a better deal on the switch assembly. I checked on Cdogman's AE which we think went to Co-part but these guys said they were wholesalers only and didn't sell to the public at large.

I'm having a difficult time finding a reputable M/C salvage yard. One that I can communicate easily with. There was one shown in the background of a recent ride report but I looked them up and the reviews on them (for what they're worth) were terrible.

Any suggestions?

Short of turning the bike upside down and shaking it vigorously?

While doing a HID install this last week, I had my left hand switchgear all apart to run the switch wiring. During the process, I made the mistake of taking the bottom plate of the AE hand shifter off and not noticing the springs inside. Whoops! Both dropped out, one was easy to find, the other is still somewhere in The Void (which might also include the carpets on the shop floor). I checked the Yamy parts catalog and the switch is apparently sold as an assembly. $$$$$$ The spring looks like I could probably use one from a ball point pen.
So now I'm looking for a slavage yard with a wrecked AE. If I can't get the springs, maybe at least get a better deal on the switch assembly. I checked on Cdogman's AE which we think went to Co-part but these guys said they were wholesalers only and didn't sell to the public at large.

I'm having a difficult time finding a reputable M/C salvage yard. One that I can communicate easily with. There was one shown in the background of a recent ride report but I looked them up and the reviews on them (for what they're worth) were terrible.

Any suggestions?

Short of turning the bike upside down and shaking it vigorously?

By the time you get done messing around with them, you may be better off calling Gary and MonDak....

I'm having a difficult time finding a reputable M/C salvage yard. One that I can communicate easily with. Any suggestions?
Have you tried here?: https://www.usedmcparts.com/

(I know nothing about them...., but it looks like a huge resource?)

Edit (for slow typing): 'twistedcricket' may be right -- salvage yards often want 50 ~ 60 % of retail.... :(

By the time you get done messing around with them, you may be better off calling Gary and MonDak....

Who?
2-parts to that interrogative -- first part (them):

I think he (and I) meant 'salvage yards' -- in general?

Second part: new parts are just fine.... :)

Search the Forum. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Who?
2-parts to that interrogative -- first part (them):

I think he (and I) meant 'salvage yards' -- in general?

Second part: new parts are just fine.... :)

Search the Forum. :rolleyes:
I posted it up for him. I still can't believe everyone here doesn't know about getting parts from Gary.

He is the only place to go.

Does the Gary sell used parts, because his cost on a rear caliper (3P6-2580W-00-00) is high compared to flatoutmotorcycles.com?

OK, thanks! Checked Mondak out, the switch is only.....

[SIZE=24pt]FOUR HUNDRED TWENTY FOUR DOLLARS AND THIRTY TWO CENTS!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I guess I better start saving up! Glad I only use my foot to shift[/SIZE]

From your general area (south of Missouri). Leon at South Park Cycle is part of a national salvage network, if'n he don't gots it, he can find someone dat do. I've done business with Leon and can recommend him. Just don't fall for the old line from Leon, 'I'll call you right back', expect to call HIM back. He will have what ever information you need when you call him back.

Leon

South Park Cycle, LLC.

1498 College St., Beaumont, Tx.

888-832-9253 or 888-952-9253

Use the ball point pen springs, you do have the little balls that fell out don't you? Not sure about your area but our "ACE" hardware stores sell springs of all sorts, small ones are cheap!

Just kidding about the balls. Made you think for a minute, didn't it?. Have you thought about a telescoping magnet hovered around the general area of the springs disappearing act?

From your general area (south of Missouri). Leon at South Park Cycle is part of a national salvage network, if'n he don't gots it, he can find someone dat do. I've done business with Leon and can recommend him. Just don't fall for the old line from Leon, 'I'll call you right back', expect to call HIM back. He will have what ever information you need when you call him back.
Leon

South Park Cycle, LLC.

1498 College St., Beaumont, Tx.

888-832-9253 or 888-952-9253
Tried 'em "Leon don't work 'ere no more" but they are on the case. We'll see what happens.

Yep, lost the little ball too. Actually it's a wedge shaped plastic thing. I think I may try the telescoping magnet, ya never know what might come up. And for four hundred bucks, I can afford to spend some quality time in there

Or, buy lunch/beer for a friend who has an AE and is willing to dismantle the same part on his bike. You can then try looking for matching sub-parts in hardware stores. Parts with special shapes could be fabricated yourself from aluminum or something since they will be quite small and maybe manageable.

But, this time, don't forget to have a catch basin below the hand-shifter!!

It just occured to me that, with the exception of Cdogman, there haven't been ANY OTHER AE owners that have put their bikes in the ditch (and not his fault anyway)?? So, does that infer that AE riders are THAT MUCH BETTER RIDERS THAN YOU WANKERS WITH CLUTCHES???

Hmmm....Maybe we need a poll, clutch crashers vs. no clutch crashers?

Possibly there is only ONE AE in the salvage yard?

Just sayin' :D

You mean people actually RIDE the AE's? I thought they were just a gimmick.

You might consider measuring the one spring that you did recover and trying to match it to something similar from McMaster-Carr, SmallParts.com or similar.

Likely somewhat cheaper than...

FOUR HUNDRED TWENTY FOUR DOLLARS AND THIRTY TWO CENTS!!!

If you have a Harbor Freight store in your area, you will find they have a spring kit available of nothing but small springs. It is an assortment of approx. 20 or 30 different size small springs. Many times this kit has saved my butt when disasembling something and springs go flying everywhere!