Sandisk Sansa batteries/chargers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a new mp3 player. I like my current RIO that uses AAA batteries so I use rechargeable.

The new crop of flash players use lithium built in batteries. The Sansa can be ordered with Sandisk or aftermarket replacement rechargeable battiers for spare and/or chargers.

I'm not sure if I should go the extra battery route or get a AC and/or power outlet charger.

Also can you charge the sansa on any computer via USB or does the software have to be installed?

I ride for multi day trips and could charge in hotel or carry extra battery.

Any tips?

Steve

If you have an intercom system, like my Autocom, if you run a 12 volt battery charger you can start getting some nasty noise in the system.

I have a Creative Zen that powers my Etymotics (or sends the signal to my Autocom) all day long... usually 10+ hours. It uses 1 AAA. I have a recharger and usually carry spares nicads.

I just bought a Sandisk 1 gig that also has 1 AAA. It also supports a 2 gig sd card (which is why I bought it). A few more features than the ZEN, and a bit larger. Hey, it was on sale for $35 shipped, so I thought I'd try it.

What I would like is to find an MP3 player that has a lithium ion battery charger that works on bike power (charging in the background). I'd be willing to work around any noise it created. Seems that most of those MP3 players have to have a desktop dock or you have to put the battery into a wall charger. Not much "automotive" stuff out there.

Looks like a bunch of players with bigger SSDs are on the horizon with the price coming down all the time. I only have about 4 gigs of music (so far), and I'm happy to swap cards for now. One of these days, an 8 gig player (or bigger) might be a good idea.

For now, I'm happy to use the (wall) rechargeable batteries in the two little players that I have... especially since they are backed up by XM radio. Heck, I get enough gigs of music, I may just DUMP the XM subscription!

ITMT I carry the charger with spare AAAs and AAs. It's a little clunky, but I'm used to working that way.

I get a good 18 hours of playback on via a flash-based iPod Mini. (I have a 30gb hd version too and it works fine but batterlife isn't as good and since it's somewhat bouncing around under my seat attached to the starcom.)

I have charged it while riding in my tank bag but there is feedback, or interference when charging. I have an isolated audio cable but something still aint right.

Regardless, it runs longer than I want to listen to all of the music on it.

-MD

I have the 6gig Sansa and love the thing. The battery seems to last forever on a charge.

I believe you can charge on a computer via USB without installing software. You might have to run Windows XP or better though.

If I had to make the choice between an extra battery or AC adapter/charger, I think I'd go with the adapter/charger. There are quite a few out there for the Sansa line. Check the Sandisk site for aftermarket accessories.

https://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(12...ccessories.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the sansa one you are talking about. Battery does last a very long time. Yes, you can charge through usb w/o the software. It just has to have power running to it. I'd skip the extra battery, you have to have a small screwdriver to get it off. Go with a ac/adapter/charger thing. The battery will last you at least all day. So just charge it when you stop. I assume it's the e200 series you are looking at. If you get the AC adapter for the car, it will charge off the bike, and since it runs from memory, it wont affect the sound. I decided to skip the 30gb monsters for something light and good battery life. My 2gb memory can always be changed whenever anyways.

You can charge off the USB port as noted above, but I also bought an adapter to plug into the wall, and another charger that is essentially a small box that you put 2 or 4 ( I don't recall at the moment ) AA batteries in to charge the Sansa. I think the battery life is rated around 20 hours. And best of all, no crappy software needs to be loaded on your computer. I have the 6Gb model and is still twice as much space as I need for a couple weeks of riding.

Another option (for the sansa/iPod, or anything that charges over usb) is to nab one of these.

b135885.jpg

Picture for illustrative purposes only. I have one and use it with my iPod from time to time, have no idea what brand, but I didn't pay more than $9 for it.