Sandisk Sansa help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
My Sansa is less than a year old and won't talk to the computer. You use either MSC or MTP to transfer files. I much prefer the way my older Rio worked using software and choosing the folder to send to device.

Anyway when using the MTP method the Sansa does not show up as an extra drive or USB device connected. I've used MTP until now.

I tried using MSC and it shows as a F: drive. If I choose to send to the music folder there are a bunch of folders marked "P" that I cannot delete and the mp3 files won't go there.

I then try to send to the "playlist" folder and that appears to work until I disconnect the device, turn on and there is no music on the Sansa.

I also updated to the latest firmware

Is there something else I can try?

Consumer reports says the new Sony Walkman 8GB flash player is tops. Long (30+) hour battery life and great sound. I'd like a player that works correctly, I never liked the way the Sansa transfer files from drive to drive not using software.

Steve

I haven't added anything to mine since last spring, but...if I remember right it's a bit confusing drive wise, there is a drive that looks obvious and then you notice that there's also another drive you didn't have before...drag'n'drop into there.

I'll try to load something later today and see if my memory is age challenged or not.

My Sansa is less than a year old and won't talk to the computer. You use either MSC or MTP to transfer files. I much prefer the way my older Rio worked using software and choosing the folder to send to device.Anyway when using the MTP method the Sansa does not show up as an extra drive or USB device connected. I've used MTP until now.

I tried using MSC and it shows as a F: drive. If I choose to send to the music folder there are a bunch of folders marked "P" that I cannot delete and the mp3 files won't go there.

I then try to send to the "playlist" folder and that appears to work until I disconnect the device, turn on and there is no music on the Sansa.

I also updated to the latest firmware

Is there something else I can try?

Consumer reports says the new Sony Walkman 8GB flash player is tops. Long (30+) hour battery life and great sound. I'd like a player that works correctly, I never liked the way the Sansa transfer files from drive to drive not using software.

Steve
My Sony was having similar issues. I am not sure if your device has one, but mine has a tiny reset button. I reset the player and everything has been fine since.

Wow, I have a Sansa. I hope not to have this problem. I like the drag & drop functionality as opposed to using software. Good luck & hope all works out for you. Please do post up with what you've figured out.

Would this help?

1502520SLEDGE20HAMMER.jpg

May be a mapping problem within Windows. Try this.

Click Start.

Mouse over Settings, then click Control Panel.

Double-click Administrative Tools.

In the Administrative Tools window double-click Computer Management.

In the Computer Management window, double-click Storage, then Disk Management.

Click to highlight the Sandisk removable disk drive (either the internal memory or the SD Card drive).

Right-click and select Change Drive Letter and Path.

Click Edit, select a drive letter from the drop-down list, then click OK.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

I have recently had the same problem with a Sansa that I had not used in months. Apparently Windows Media Player recently added some support for more MP3 tags and cannot convert some MP3 files to a format necessary for the older Sansa player.

The way I got around it was to select the songs I wanted that had been ripped as Windows Media format and that allowed WMP to do a proper format conversion. If you try copying the new and expanded MP3 formats to the Sansa it just won't work.

Thanks to this and other forums I got it working!

Here's what I did:

1. Got lots of good info from this website: https://www.anythingbutipod.com/

(select "forums" on the top right)

Talk about everything you need to know about your non-ipod mp3 player

I wasn't able to register so I could post, the register page would not display properly but I was able to find what I was looking for on the first or second page of each forum in a few minutes.

2. Formatted the sansa

3. removed and re-installed the driver

4. updated the firmware

5. ran a scandisk/checkdisk

6. Downloaded mediamonkey to fix/repair mp3 tags/filenames. This I believe is what did the trick, though I think all the above needed to be done.

Its a free download: https://mediamonkey.com/

To use I selected each folder then "edit select all" then under tools "Auto-Tag from filename".

7. I no longer use the MTP, instead use MSC for mp3 transfer and performing the format, scandisk, firmware update etc.

Oh yeah, thanks for the previous tip about legalsounds.com

9 cent downloads and great selection (Mostly legal I think) and better, faster etc than limewire

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: