Santa dressed as a mail man

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungie

FrostBack #2 - IBA # 44620
Reaction score
Well, I don't believe in Santa, but I'm gonna have to start leaving cookies out for the mailman. Ever since you guys talked me into buying my FJR it seems he's lugging a box here daily. This shit is getting expensive!

Cal Sci +2" windshield:

Yesterday, he delivered my Cal Sci +2 windshield. I hemmed and hawed and read and waffled over this for way to long. Their's as many opinions on windshield setups as their are FJR owners. I liked the stocker for around town in the heat. But on the highway, the back pressure was pretty stupid along with the buffeting. Bit the bullet and ordered the Cal Sci as it seemed to have the most positive feedback.

Glad I did. The +2 is perfect for my height (5'9") on a Mayer seat. In the down position, I get enough airflow over the vents in the top of my helmet to keep them working. Up, dead air pocket with no back pressure. I'm looking over top the shield in the down position by about 3". More importantly, the back pressure in all positions is all but completely gone. Cal Sci was good to deal with, though the edges of the shield as delivered were sharp and basically unfinished. A few minutes with a fine file and some 600 grit then 1200 grit finished it off to an acceptable level - but that shouldn't be my responsibility. Still, I'd buy another.

Marsee Magentic 15 mit der Tour Pocket (standard, non-tear drop shape):

Got this on close out from NewEnough.com. Now, understand I have a tank bag from my other bikes, a Nelson Rigg, I'd guess about 7 liters, but it has the accordian top and side pockets. Probably double the size fully unzipped. I wasn't unhappy with it, its just that in the unexpanded configuration, anything other than a cell phone I wanted put in it had to go in cock-eyed. Most importantly to me, my video recording unit would fit in, but I'd have to put a pretty tight bend in the video feed cable - that just didn't sit well with me as I can see cable fatiguing over time. I've read Marsee makes really good quality stuff so I popped for a larger one. Everything you've read about quality construction seems to be true. The unit is solid and apparently well made. It has the polycarbonate top so that you can see your electrical gear/maps. That's going to be really handy with my video unit. Fits the FJR like a glove and doesn't interfere with anything at full lock. Good piece and I'm happy with the purchase. Especially at the price newenough.com is clearing them out for.

Now the biggie... drum roll please...

Collett Communications MicroFone 2 (the fully 2nd generation bluetooth jobbie):

Lets preface this one. I have zero experience with any kind motorcycle intercom system. Complete neophyte. I'll skip my research etc, I just decided that I'd take the chance on the Collett as it has all the features I was looking for, combined with a REALLY competitive price and a 3 year warranty.

The components are obviously well made, with seals on the Vox and Volume controls, VERY tight fitting connections etc. So, first things first, mount the 'micro blaster' speakers in my HJC CL-SP Animus. Problem. The CL-SP has 'ear cavities', but their not backed by any styrofoam, worse still, at the exact point where I needed to mount the speakers, was the attachement point for the chin straps. I couldn't mount them 'under' the foam ear cavity, so I mounted them on top. I can move them if a better solution comes up as they just velcro in place. They just touch my ear. This probably isn't good as I bet that will hurt/run me up the wall on a long trip. No matter, thats how the speakers are mounted for now. I stuffed the wiring under the padding and trim pieces to finish off that part of the install. Next up, the transmitter unit. Finicky to get the boom mic in the right position but hardly impossible. The unit attackes to the left side of the helmet via hook & loop. This is where the next problem comes up. Because of the shape of the CL-SP, the chin portion is 'styled' with some zoomy edges, I had to be really careful where I mounted it. To far forward and the backing on 'loop' portion doesn't get a good foothold. My helmet wasn't much of a problem, but my gf's helmet is an extra small, and I assume, has a smaller shell. Her's is on, and its not coming off, but I can see having to dremel 'shape' the underside of the transmitter so the hook and loop gets a better purchase on it. While I was doing all this, I had the standard batteries on the charger (it comes with 6hr standard battery pack, and, a 12 hour remote power unit).

So, test time, I mount the standard battery pack to the right rear of the helmet (their instructions show it mounted directly at the rear, bottom of the helmet. This covers up the DOT/Snell sticker, which is required to be visible by law in Ontario), so I mounted it slight offset to the right. This has another benefit, it offsets the weight of the transmitter somewhat. Slip on the helmet and talk into the mic. I was instantly rewarded with hearing my voice 'echoed' back to me. This is a diagnostic function for tuning the VoX. Cool, its alive! Really good sound quality too. Next, I got out my cell phone (Sony/Ericcson K790a). Enabled the bluetooth handsfree on it. Hold down the mode button for 8 seconds until it chirps at you, and look at that, my cell phone found the Collett the first try. I finished the bluetooth connection and had my mom call me. The Collett autoanswers. Your notified of the call and well sonofabitch. It worked first try, all painless like. I was talking to loud apparently, normal conversation tone is all it takes.

How about music? After diddling around with the phone to figure out how to enable A2DP (or whatever its called).. I find out that if your in handfree mode, you ARE in A2DP mode. So I fire up a tune.. and was instantly rewarded with the Eagles - in perfect stereo. GOD DAMN! Sound quality was above acceptable considering the speakers. Short on bass, but then, even with the headphones directly connected to the phone, it was short on bass.

I finished the installation on my gf's helmet (same make/model as mine, just XS). Press the mode button so its in intercom mode, and PERFECT. First try. You know, I think they've finally got this bluetooth dealie sorted out!

The Collett also has 3 channels at 900mHz for bike to bike communications. Which brings me to my next point, I haven't had a chance to try out the unit ON THE BIKE at speed yet. I don't have any doubt that it performs as advertised given the ease of getting it up and running and the manufactures claims, and research I've done. But until then, its wait and see time.

The 'manual' is only about 8 printed pages. But I guess its good enough as I didn't have any trouble installing, pairing etc. Thats either a testament to how well these things work, or I just got lucky. I'll report back after we get out for a good ride in rider-passenger mode and, rider-rider to mode. I'll post pics then too.

Hey Bungie,

Thanks for the info,this is the first report I have seen reguarding the new Collett system. Please keep us posted

Rick

Thanks for the info,this is the first report I have seen reguarding the new Collett system. Please keep us posted
Update:

Had a chance to go for a ride two up with my GF this weekend with the MicroFone 2's. After giving her the jist of how they work, which, takes all of 1 minute. We adjusted the mic for her and set up the Vox. Jumped on the bike and at everything from around town in traffic to extra-lega hwy speeds, rider-passenger is fantastic. Got into some 30mph blustery crosswinds and the wind noise would trigger her Vox. Stop, adjusted her visor so it would close tightly and try again. Fixed.

We stopped for a coffee and while she was in for a squirt, I grabbed her cell phone and paired it with her Comm unit. She put her helmet on and I called her. Was funny because she didn't know I was doing it. The Collett answers, and we have a normal conversation. She's impressed big time (always a plus). I've still got to try the voice activated dialing. Everytime I tried recording on the phone, it came up with "Record in a quieter environment" error. Doesn't matter if it was through the Collett or directly on the phone in a quiet house. Something to diddle with...

So were tooling along and some guy in a new Carrera goes past us. She tells me that he was checking me out. Hardly I tell her, sure enough, he slows down and is checking ME out at a set of lights... wtf.. "PUNCHBUGGY SILVER!". She's roaring she's laughing so hard. Middle life crisis poofter in the Porsche floors it and is gone HAHAHA.

Her phone doesn't play tunes so I'm gonna go looking for a bluetooth adapter for my Ipod for her.

Anyway, so far, the Collett units get high scores from me. Were gonna try out the bike-bike feature with a co-worker sometime in the next 2 days. More to come.

That's nice and all but, you don't have a heads-up display. Once you get that and the infra-red traffic logic controller you might catch up to all the kalifornian types and all their fancy widgets.

Bungie, can you tell me how the Collett works with the visor open (full open)?

My GF doesn't like to close her visor, likes the wind in her face.

Thanks

Dale

Bungie, can you tell me how the Collett works with the visor open (full open)?My GF doesn't like to close her visor, likes the wind in her face.
On the first ride, her visor wasn't sealing tightly and was triggering the voice activation. That night, I adjusted her visor and the problem disappeared. I know for a fact that she's had the visor open, at speed, since then with no unwanted triggering. The unit comes supplied with a some foam socks for the mic, but in a full face environment, they don't appear to be required.

Still haven't tried the rider to rider function on them yet, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to give Microfone 2's 2 thumbs up.

I'm hoping to try out the rider to rider function tomorrow evening, as were leaving for a 5 day trip (no passengers) on Sat. Even if they are only marginal in a rider to rider environment, the other functions make them a winner. I have no reason to suspect they'll be just as good in that function though.

Okay, its been a month, time for an update.

The units continue to exceed expectations. Rain has no affect on them (6 hours in teeming rain..). Rider to rider comms is very good, but is definitely line of sight. Not to much of an issue really. I have however picked up other Collett users. Makes sense, the unit uses the 900Mhz spectrum which is public. The units come with the ability to select 3 different channels for privacy. Funny actually, I'm riding along and pass two tourers going the opposite direction, then clear as day "What kind of bike was that?", his buddy says "It was Silver, probably a BMW".

So I say "nope, FJR, on to the lightning round". Talked to them briefly until they went around a rock cut.

Two problems have come up with the units.

1: The Vox on the primary (rider) unit has gone intermittent. I can only initiate a conversation perhaps 5% of the time. I can reply to though while the 'connection' is open.

2: The speaker connection on the secondary is very loose.

I've just sent an email to Collett about these issues just a few moments ago and we'll see how soon, and what, their response is. Fix up these two problems and the system is an absolute winner. Battery life is as advertised (even listening to tunes for extended periods) and the 12 hr packs.. well, I never have run them down in a single use. Even after 10 hrs in the saddle.

>I've just sent an email to Collett about these issues just a few moments ago and we'll see how soon, and what, their response is.

That was fast, just got a reply from them instructing me to send the units back for full replacement!

Full replacement received from Collett, all is cool. I only had to pay shipping.

Two thumbs up!

Update on the Collett microFone 2's

I picked up a Garmin 2820 from a forum member. Its the bluetooth jobbie. 60 seconds after trying it, I had it paired with the Collett. Sweeeet. Now I can listen to that dumb bitz telling me where to go without taking my eyes off the road.

Theirs very few things you buy, especially technology related, that a year down the road you still think you got a screaming deal on. The microFone2's fit into this category.

Completely wireless, rider 2 rider, rider 2 passenger, tunes from my cell, my cell phone, my GPS, and all in stereo, great warranty, and cheaper than than its closest competitor (of which their still is 0) - throw in today is Les Collett's birthday today. How do I know this? He's a member here!

Now Les, hit it out of the park, ditch the batteries and put on an external input!

Latest posts