Sargeant seat(with pillon backrest) work with Givi?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrsochs

Reaction score
I have an 05FJR with the Sargeant seat that has the removable pillion back rest. It fits without having to mod the OEM rack. Anybody have this an the GIVI mount+case?

Sochs

Not sure I understand your question. Are you wondering if anybody is using a Sargent seat with backrest in combination with a Givi 357 rack with a Givi top case? I'm guessing that you're NOT asking if the backrest and the top case can go on the bike at the same time. With my Corbin seat, that was not possible.

Not sure if this helps, but I had a Corbin one piece with backrest on my 05 and though the standard Givi rack fit fine with that seat (though it was a bit of a tight fit), there was no way to put the back rest and the top case on at the same time.

CIMG1063.jpg

CIMG1062.jpg

Above you can see the clearance between the Corbin's backrest and the Givi rack. Granted, that's not a Sargent seat. I now have a two piece Sargent on the bike. It fits fine with the Givi rack and top case, though I don't have a backrest to go with my Sargent.

Below you can see the approximate relationship of the backrest location on both seats. I don't have a pic of the actual backrest on a Sargent as my new seat doesn't have a backrest.

CIMG1192.jpg

Hope that helps

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this doesn't address the question regarding a Givi, but it is related information. I have an 07 with an OEM top box and OEM mount plate for the top box. I have a Sargent seat and had ordered the matching backrest. My intent was to use the backrest only when the top box was off the bike. However, the Sargent backrest won't work with the top box off and the OEM top box mount in place, as the backrest will not slide fully into its mount in the seat. I worked with the representative from Sargent, who provided excellent service, but was unable to find a solution for what I wanted. As I didn't want to remove the mounting plate each time the top box was off and I wanted to use the backrest instead, I returned the backrest.

I have a Sargent seat with backrest on my '08. I also run the Givi V47 with SW-Motech steel toprack. I am unable to utilize the Sargent backrest when the trunk is attached. Hope this helps. When I go 2up in the future with my son, I'll spring for the Givi trunk backrest.

Yup Gary, we have the same Sargeant seat...the Word Sport. I am buying the case at GIVI tomorrow(full retail pinch?) in NC and letting them mount everything. Bummed if the seat back doesn't operate because I use that post to attach a case by its handles with&with out bungeecords. I'll have to create a new system, but if the GIVI backrest is better, that is good too - for my pillons.

I'd post a pic but I'm on the iPad at my first stop?TN.(first jaunt with Laminar lip installed)

Hope the Laminar Lip and the top case get along well. My ride today felt so much quicker with the reduced noise. Buffeting vibrated at a higher frequency and my head was clearly in a node but a tighter helmet seal fixed it. Bike is almost perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup as mentioned... the World Sport back rest brace had to be removed from the frame for the GIVI rack to be installed. Guess I need to have a different bracket made. So, I had the V47 mounted in NC at GIVI. The crew there was exceptionally helpful. Glad to give them my business.

The V47 responded very well to my highspeed tests..now I know why so many people have it. It holds just enough stuff. Thanks for the help guys/gals.