Sargent, Pirates Lair, Shoei, Calsci

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
I've had the FJR for 2 years now ('08) and I can honestly say I haven't found another all around motorcycle I'd rather have. There are plenty of bikes I'd like to have along side the FJR, but I wouldn't replace it with anything I've seen yet.

I just received the Sargent seat and took a couple of nice long rides this weekend. Many times better than stock and the best upgrade to the bike yet. I shouldn't have waited so long. As others have mentioned the form/function thing works for me too. It seems like Yamaha should just make this the stock seat. BTW I ordered it Aug 30th and received it Sept 3rd and they included a little flashlight and a hat. :yahoo:

I purchased the Pirates Lair Stealth Backrest not long after getting the bike. Wifes orders. She likes it and I like how it takes about 10 seconds to put on and off. The downside is someone could steal it in about the same amount of time and being that it cost way more than it seems like it should that would really suck. The material matches nicely with the stock seat.

When I bought the bike I bought the HJC CL-15 at the same time not really knowing too much about helmets. This year I purchased the Shoei RF-1100. The Shoei is a huge improvement for me over the HJC. It is much more comfortable. The ventilation system in the Shoei is great. (Do the vents on the HJC actually do anything?) Although the Shoei seems a bit heavy it is very stable at high speed, and while it is quieter than the HJC by maybe 20 percent it's still not nirvana. I'm doing my best in getting used to wearing earplugs.

I bought the Calsci large windscreen in an effort to reduce the wind noise. I'm 6-3, 34" inseam and all I can say is it works.

The only problem is it also reduces the wind to about zero and since it has been particularly hot this summer in PA I had the Calsci on once and quickly put the stock back on. I currently prefer the new Shoei helmet with earplugs combo. Maybe when things start cooling off I'll put it back on. The edges on the Calsci seem a bit unrefined.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents on these products. I always read through the fjrforum when deciding on a purchase and maybe this will be helpful to someone.