Sargent Seat improved my riding ability

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgfella

Reaction score
I've got my new Sargent for 2 weeks now, and am very happy with all the expected bonuses of an aftermarket seat. Its way more comfortable than the stock, the fit and finish is awesome.

The unexpected benefit has been that I feel more attached to the bike, and planted firmly on the machine. Previously, I did not realize it, but I was using my arms and the bars for balance in the turns, causing me to have poor throttle/brake control. The faster I went, the more unstable I felt.

This past weekend, I took a really twisty ride I've taken so many times, and I rode it 10% faster, enjoyed it 50% more, and kept up with my much more experienced buddies. I'm not ready to challenge Rossi, but it's a simple thing like this that can kick off some skill improvement. Now I can focus more on throttle/braking, and less on unintentionally hanging off!

Did you go with Griptex or CarbonFX (or leather) for the seatcover?
I went with the CarbonFX. Sargent says that this material works better with pants such as the Aerostitch Dariens. Less slipping than GRIPTEX. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thankful for my Sargent seat every time I get on the bike. I've got over 10,000 miles on it ( the seat ) and have yet to experience an uncomfortable moment, including putting in a couple of 500-600 mile days.

I'm thankful for my Sargent seat every time I get on the bike. I've got over 10,000 miles on it ( the seat ) and have yet to experience an uncomfortable moment, including putting in a couple of 500-600 mile days.
Am I screwed if I hurt before I get on the bike? ;)

Had mine for a couple weeks as well... seems to be breaking in a little better...

was a bit stiff from the get go... but Im really starting to digg it....

Carbon FX, and Blue welting...

I got the GripTex, and marginally regret it. It looks really good, but is probably less grippy. Again, go figure that one. In hindsight, the CarbonFX might have been better.

I have the Sargent and agree it's a noteworthy improvement over stock. I ordered it with pillion and pillion backrest so it's my 2-up saddle. But I just ordered a Russell with rider backrest for long distance one-up riding. Never had a custom seat and expect it should fit my toosh even better.