Sargent seat owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

900gc

Reaction score
Just sent my front seat off to them for some thicker foam (since I lost 15 lbs., my skinny butt 'sitz bones' have no padding left on them and the foam is thin over the document compartment) and to have the edges rounded off some to feel better on the back of my legs. Cost is $90 which includes a new cover. About half the price I thought it would be! I'll report back with pics and a ride report in a few weeks.

I wasn't aware Sargent reworked seats.

I have to look into that.

My seat is also a bit thin.

Needs about another inch of dense foam

since I don't sit in the "pocket".

While I find the Sargent a vast improvement over the stock Yamaseat, I too was disappointed in the edge radius at the front of the seat that creates leg pressure points. Shimming the supports at the back and middle of the seat helped reduce the pressure points.

Now the seat is OK. Considered pulling the cover and trimming the foam myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my Sargent around town and anything up to 2 hours each way. Anything more than that on goes my Russell that I hate around town but love on the road. I did 17 hours one day and backed that up with a 13 hour day this summer and it was great. When i got home on went the Sargent.

I've had my Sargent for about 4 years now. Started on the 07 and now on the 14. Comfy seat for the most part, have done quite a few 8-10 hour days on it. It started feeling like it needed a refresh on the foam so being that I'm a thrifty (cheap) so and so, I removed the cover and used some of the dense foam from one of those interlocking flooring pads you buy in a bunch for about $10 bucks. Made a nice improvement. But, how long it lasts remains to be seen. It's been a couple of months and so far so good. Having them rebuild it for $90 is a good deal so next time it will go back to them.

I probably have 30,000+ miles on my Sargent.

It works great most of the time but when I take an extended trip I usually throw my Airhawk on top. With that combo I have zero seat induced mileage limitations.

New 2013 FJR and after 600 miles on the stock seat . . . knew I needed something else. For a variety of reasons I choose to go with a custom Sargeant seat. Only 5 1/2 hours to Jacksonville for me, so I went there. I called ahead and showed up at 9am. Spent the next 5 hours there getting my seat just how I wanted it. They put an uncovered World Sport Performance seat on my bike to start the process. I sat on it and directed that I wanted the seat higher in the front and lower in the back to eliminate unkind "pressures" and had them take off the "wings" (personal preference). Moving my butt to the rear also resolved long leg problems.

The seat was removed and it went back to the shop. About 15-20 minutes later it came back out, went on the bike followed by me. Some more adjustments requested . . . back to the shop. We did this 4 or 5 times, then I began riding the seat for 10-15 miles between adjustments another 3 times until it was exactly how I wanted. BTW, I had the front and rear seats shaped to function as a single seat, further enhancing a natural seating position at the rear of the front seat. It went back to the shop for covering and stitching and . . . 37,000 miles later I'll ride this seat on long days (20 hours), day after day with no problems. Don't give it a thought.

Just before it went back to get stitched I was asked if I wanted the "heated" option? In for a penny, in for a pound . . . sure. Makes a REAL difference on chilly days.

Great seat for me.

Shuey

Last edited by a moderator:
New 2013 FJR and after 600 miles on the stock seat . . . knew I needed something else. For a variety of reasons I choose to go with a custom Sargeant seat. Only 5 1/2 hours to Jacksonville for me, so I went there. I called ahead and showed up at 9am. Spent the next 5 hours there getting my seat just how I wanted it. Great seat for me.

Shuey
That is THE way to get a custom seat done :)

Have the seat back. Finally took some pics today but still need to upload them and go for a hour long ride as well. Stay tuned...

I'm considering ordering a Sargent.

How are your passenger liking them? My wife is tall & needs more leg room. Is the seat any taller than stock?

Also, comfort level for passenger.

I had a sargent on my last bike. It was a rework of my original Bandit 1200 seat.

Long story short, I was going to do a cross country trip in 2010, and after a test trip in 2009 I knew I needed something better. A Beemer rider I met at a rest stop in Ohio the summer before had a Sargent and loved it. So I packed up my seat, told them how I wanted it, and back it came a couple weeks later. It was Around $320 with shipping for the custom work....but it was the best money I spent on that bike in the 6 years I had it.

I've never had a Russell, Corbin, or anything else, so I don't have a great frame of reference for other aftermarket seats. But that seat (widened and dished with the atomic foam) really saved my ass (literally) on long trips. Did my 1,000 in 24 on that seat with only mild discomfort.

I liked the Sargent I had on my last bike also. If I change on this bike, I'm thinking of trying something else. Not a priority at this point.

Have the seat back. Finally took some pics today but still need to upload them and go for a hour long ride as well. Stay tuned...
Hope this link works to my Drop Box pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/dq39ohz4ik2qt7f/AAAQj-ILanDYNTNhifWlQ_Yfa

I haven't been able to ride the bike since we are buried in snow here in NE Mass. but sitting on the new seat feels better. It's thicker for sure (mostly in the center of the bucket where I needed it) so I doubt I'll ever use the high setting on the seat again, the bucket is less pronounced as a result which is fine by me since I never filled out the original contour, the rolled edges are now comfortable on the back of my upper legs, the new shape allows me to scoot up to the tank more comfortably due to the new flatter shape.

Can't wait to go for a tankfull ride. Spring can't come soon enough!
cold.gif

Looks nice, I like how they raised the front, and got rid of that deep wide pocket..... One of the things I couldn't get past was how slippery they were, and the sloping down caused the sliding into the tank.... which resulted in ahhhh crushing of the nuttys....

They are very nice looking and well built seats otherwise, just didn't work for my backside - or my frontside for that matter.... LOL

Post up ride report when you have one....

I haven't been able to ride the bike since we are buried in snow here in NE Mass. but sitting on the new seat feels better. It's thicker for sure (mostly in the center of the bucket where I needed it) so I doubt I'll ever use the high setting on the seat again, the bucket is less pronounced as a result which is fine by me since I never filled out the original contour, the rolled edges are now comfortable on the back of my upper legs, the new shape allows me to scoot up to the tank more comfortably due to the new flatter shape.

Can't wait to go for a tankfull ride. Spring can't come soon enough!
cold.gif
Ride update:

Finally put several hours on the new seat. MUCH better! New foam is firm and still needs to break in more but the new contour allows me to sit anywhere comfortably and the rolled edges totally eliminated any pressure on the back of my upper legs. Absolutely worth getting done.
ok.gif

Can't wait to go for a tankfull ride. Spring can't come soon enough! :cold:
Ride update:

Finally put several hours on the new seat. MUCH better! New foam is firm and still needs to break in more but the new contour allows me to sit anywhere comfortably and the rolled edges totally eliminated any pressure on the back of my upper legs. Absolutely worth getting done. :eek:k:
Inspired by this result, and by the lack of long term comfort, I decided to 'go in'.

I removed the staples from the back half of the seat.

Using concentric ovals of quilting batting, I filled in the deep dish inthe Sargent.

Restapled the seat using a T50 stapler with the shortest staples.

Two adjustments, and two test rides and the seat has been improved.